Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Academy Award for Best Cinematography Winners (1927-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Award for Best Cinematography Winners (1927-2021)

Here is a follow-up to my Post on Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film Winners. This one on Best Cinematography runs 15 minutes (yes, it would make a nice S8 short!).

The Academy Award for Best Cinematography is awarded each year to a cinematographer for work on one particular motion picture. From 1939 to 1967, there were separate awards for color and for black-and-white cinematography. Since then, the only black-and-white film to win is Schindler's List (1993). Floyd Crosby won the award for Tabu in 1931, which was the last silent film to win in this category. Hal Mohr was the first person to win for both black-and-white and color cinematography. In 2009, Slumdog Millionaire became the first film to win that was primarily shot on digital video. The following year Avatar was the first nominee and winner to be shot entirely on digital video. Credit
    How many of these winners do you have in your movie library?

Nice line up of films there Ed thankfully quite a few have made it onto blu-ray. One full length Super 8 print I was thinking of screening of late, and that is a nice B/W print of David Lean "Great Expectations". On 35mm "Dances With Wolves" looks great on film. A couple of others shown were Hugo and Life Of PI, they were made for 3D and they look great on the Epson.

Comment

Thanks for posting that,what a feast of stunning films with a music track to die for!! Loved it.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by John Burgess View Post
        Thanks for posting that,what a feast of stunning films with a music track to die for!! Loved it.
        John
        John, I agree that the music track was perfect. I did notice that he used the soundtrack from Legends of the Fall mostly.

Music Used:
        The Breaking of the Fellowship by Howard Shore
        The Ludlows by James Horner (Legends of the Fall)
        Flow Like Water by James Newton Howard
        Lightning Strikes by Rupert Gregson-Williams​

Comment

One 35mm film print that we screened that impressed me was the look of "Road To Perdition", that film won a Academy Award for best Cinematography 2003 to Conrad Hall. This attached video is well worth watching, also included below are a couple of screen shots from the blu-ray I screened a while back.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	82544
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	82545

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	82546
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290144.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	82547
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	82548
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	82549

Comment

Another one of Conrad Hall films that is commented on by other Cinematographer's is "Searching For Bobby Fisher" again look at his approach to lighting etc in this trailer, very impressive.

I have had this title on DVD for a few years now, its a good movie worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
              One 35mm film print that we screened that impressed me was the look of "Road To Perdition", that film won a Academy Award for best Cinematography 2003 to Conrad Hall. This attached video is well worth watching, also included below are a couple of screen shots from the blu-ray I screened a while back...
              I enjoyed the video on Hall's work. I found another one that has clips from several of his films:

Behind the Camera: Conrad L. Hall

Comment

Working...
              X