Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you achieve effective programming ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a limit set to no more than five minutes of ads following with three to four trailers before the start of the feature. It was always a challenge for me to do the weekly schedule, it used to take me ages to work out so that so that we did not have the three screens finish or start at the same time to "stagger the times" this allowed the time for cleaning between sessions plus better flow of sales down stairs $$$$$. The idea was to make sure folk did not skip buying something because of to many people coming or going at the same time. We used to have seven on the counter with two popcorn machines going flat out. I worked with the manager and down stairs staff to make the schedule work as best as I could, it was never perfect. In general it did work out ok. In the schedule I would allow 15 minutes between sessions for cleaning. The kids down stairs were working hard to keep to the times "they were a good bunch". One thing I never did, was to start a projector until things were ready in each screen, even if it meant running late. After threading a projector up I would always head down stairs to see how things were getting on, if they needed more time they got it.

The main thing in my mind was to allow folk to get to there seats before starting as much as possible, we wanted people to have a good experience and most importantly, to come back and right up to the finish the locals always supported the place, income wise we did very well. The mall owners were reluctant to close the place, but the development of a new super store needed the space and cinema was simply in the way.

One thing I liked the most was working with the manager and other staff in picking out the films we would book. With the money made during the school holidays it allowed us to experiment a bit with films outside the holidays. Letters From Iwo Jima was one I went for, the manager tried some art house films, the kids down stairs any films you can think of that we should get was my words to them??.

Another money spinner outside our bread a butter school holidays was private hires, we did very well with those.

A typical weekly school holiday schedule "last week of the holidays", between running films I would sit down and work on the next weeks one

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	83188

Comment

Anyway all the best with your programming, a we bit of video of the place before it vanished

Comment

I used to really love going to the movies. I looked forward to it. I enjoyed it. I remembered it. But that kind of experience is extremely rare now. Big prices, lackluster theatres, sloppy presentation, bad manners, commercials, and mobile phones, are why I rarely go to movies anymore. And there is plenty of evidence that I am not alone in that feeling.

I am one of a dying breed, with a passion for showmanship, and a more theatrical moviegoing experience. Once one of the cinema’s greatest fans, I am now among it’s harshest critics. In my view, it will take substantial improvements in picture quality, standards of behavior, finesse in presentation, and real showmanship, to make theatres worth leaving home for.​
        Credit: TJ Edwards, CinemaSightlines.com

Full article, THE EVOLUTION OF MOVIEGOING available at: http://cinemasightlines.com/cinemas_moviegoing.php

CinemaSightlines​ has several articles of interest on the subject of showmanship, classic theatres, and home cinemas. It looks like it has not been updated for years, but it is worthwhile to browse.

Comment

Ed, apologies for the delay in answering your query as to what formats I use. The answer is really “you name it I use it”. I have only a few short documentaries in 16mm, some standard 8 and super 8 shorts and cut downs, loads of 9.5mm, vhs tapes, laser discs and dvds. Because of my age, most of my shows recently have been the video formats. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

Working...
          X