Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice Leakey Update by Daughter Jane

Hi all

This is Jane, one of Maurice's two daughters.
    We were all told today that Dad has a hole in his heart and therefore not long to live. We aren't sure how long. He wants to go home so the hospital needs to put a palliative care team in place first. This could take a week or more, which is obviously very frustrating for Dad.

When he is home again he will be reunited with his hundreds of films and projectors, which will be a comfort and a solice for him.

We really appreciate all your kind words and messages so far. I have relayed them all to Dad. It has touched and amazed me how much love there is for Dad on this forum. I hope very much that he will be able to continue on here when he gets home. If he finds it too difficult to type, then I will do it for him.

This is such a sad time for us. And I feel there will also be a sad loss for all of you, too. I wish I had Dad's knowledge to continue his legacy - but I don't.

Please do keep your messages coming. And please - if you already do so - continue to pray for Dad and me and my sister, Angela. I really do appreciate any prayers.

I feel extremely fortunate that Dad has reached the grand age of 88 with little mishap or suffering. That's something I think that we all aspire to.

Jane x

Jane, I am so sorry to hear how poorly your dad is. As I had said earlier he is one of the most highly respected members of this forum and a true gentleman. I know how difficult this situation can be having gone through a similar situation with my dad. You can only support and love him and appreciate the many years you have been fortunate to be together. Maurice’s knowledge is throughout this forum and is accessible to all forum members 24/7.

God bless you both and I will pray for Maurice, gentleman film collector.

Comment

Prayers from the Osgood family as well! I can only hope that we, the 8mm forum, can make his continued days on this rock as joyously happy as possible, counting them all with joy and, as long as it will not be a hindrance in any way, shape or form, those over there in the UK, visit the fine lad when you can, as we all have the wonderful opportunity to give him a grand send off. Please note:. Not desiring any a send off any time soon. God bless ya, Maurice!

Comment

Jane, sorry to hear your news. I have been through identical experiences and appreciate it is difficult at this time. Be comforted that Maurice has had a good long happy lifespan with a relatively short period of ill health. You have time for laughter and tears plus film shows.

Remember, Doctors have been trying to kill us all for years. Prove them wrong please. Home is best for recovery.

Thinking of Maurice and the Family Circle.

Mike

Comment

A sad time but you and your family will be very much in all of our thoughts.

Comment

Jane,

We greatly appreciate you keeping us informed about Maurice. You are all in our prayers. Everyone here who has had contact with your Dad cherishes all he has done for us by sharing his love and enthusiasm for life and this hobby. We all hold him in high regard.​

Comment

my very best regards for a true gentleman, try and stay strong

Comment

Hello Jane, I have been thinking and praying for your family and Maurice since seeing your posts. I just wanted to say I have learned a lot from Maurice's knowledge over the years on the forums. I only ever had one transaction with him on a 16mm film and it was very pleasant and he even included a typed letter that I still have in my collection. Please tell him thanks for being a forum friend and to hang in there.

Comment

So very sad to hear this. Maurice has been so helpful to others with his posts--freely sharing his knowledge and experience. Thank you so much for sharing these updates with us. God Bless your family during this difficult time.
                  Last edited by Greg Perry; July 06, 2023, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I am praying for a miracle...

Comment

Hi Jane. Sorry to hear such really sad news. I have really enjoyed my visits down to see your Dad over the last year or so and his regular phone calls. It is always a joy to spend time with such a gentleman, to benefit from his vast knowledge and to hear his reminisences from his days in the cinema. Best wishes to you and Angela (I spoke to her briefly on the phone about a week ago when she updated me a bit on the situation before you kindly started this thread to keep us all informed). Hopefully the hospital will get the necessary support in place quickly so he can get back home to his films soon. Please pass on my very best regards to Maurice.
                      John

Comment

Dear Jane,

Very sad news, I've known Maurice for many years now, and he has always been fun to talk too! I enjoyed my couple of visits with my brother Michael, and we had a good time talking about films and cinema in general, it was thoroghly enjoyable. Please .pass on mine and my brother's good wishes,and I hope he gets his wish to come home

Comment

I rarely write on forums, but this thread has moved me to do so. I have always valued Maurice's thorough knowledge on all aspects of film, his polite approach and helpful nature. I still have paper lists that Maurice sent out years ago when he'd bought a film collection and was selling some titles off. This, I think, was 2000/2001. I continue to pray for this situation and thank Maurice for making all of our lives better on this forum from having him here.

Comment

Sorry to hear things are not going well. I was lucky enough to meet Maurice at a BFCC a few years ago and he's such a kind person. Several members used the word "gentleman" and that's exactly the word that characterizes the best Maurice. I wish him to be able to go back soon home and spend good time with his family and his films.

Comment

So sorry to hear this. Have dealt with Maurice for over 25 years and have done many film deals together in the past. Please pass on my best to him and I am sure he will be a lot happier back at home with his films and projectors. Hopefully speak to him soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X