Alone in the Dark, Old-School Projectionists Keep Film From the Grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alone in the Dark, Old-School Projectionists Keep Film From the Grave

The projection booth is a digital domain where the art of threading film gave way to pushing a button. But as with all technology, some stalwarts cling ever more resolutely to the old ways.

During the past decade, 90 percent of the world's movie theaters swapped their analog projectors for glorified computers that play files, not films. In this digital domain, the art of threading film gave way to pushing a button. But as with all technology, some stalwarts cling resolutely to the old ways.

Richard Nicholson celebrates these devotees in his series The Projectionists, a fascinating look at those who continue splicing film and lacing it through projectors long after the industry went digital. He's explored such themes before in Last One Out, which documented London's dwindling number of photo enlargers. “Looking closely at analog workspaces can inform us about our contemporary digital lives,” he says. “We are becoming increasingly disembodied. The objects that surround us are losing their materiality.”

His love affair with film started in childhood, watching the Super8 movies his father made. It deepened in college, when he attended the cinema at least three times each week and never hesitated to knock on a projectionist's door if the film was out of focus. That led to a part-time job as an usher at the Odeon theater in York, where he remembers the projectionists being a somewhat antisocial lot. "It’s a strange job, working in the dark, with hours that allow little social life," he says.

For more than a century after film’s invention in the 1890s, projectionists played an essential role. They threaded film through projectors, skillfully and seamlessly switching between projectors as one reel ended and another began. They also curated the music audiences heard as they entered the theater, dimmed the lights, and opened the curtain. “Each projectionist would have their own way of doing things," says Richard Wallace, a researcher at the Projection Project, "meaning that each cinema would have its own identity."

About a decade ago, analog started giving way to digital. Today nearly 9 out of every 10 movie screens worldwide is digital, something that requires little more than pressing play. "There isn’t really such a thing as a digital projectionist, at least not in most chain cinemas," Wallace says. “With the introduction of digital projection systems there is no longer an individual present in the box to ensure that the audience is getting the best presentation of a film possible.”

Nicholson started the project in 2012 at the invitation of Projection Project director Charlotte Brundson, who'd enjoyed Last One Out. It took awhile to nail his approach because projection boxes are not an ideal setting for photography, given that they're small and dark. Nicholson settled on using five or six flashguns strategically placed around the booth. Even then he didn't have enough light for the 4x5 film he favors, so he opted for a 36 megapixel Nikon D800 and a 16mm lens. He carefully composed each shot to minimize distortion, photographing the projectionists going about their work. “I wanted to avoid the sort of ‘hero’ image that you might see in a magazine feature—the projectionist standing proudly beside his projector,” he says. “Film projection is a craft that is in serious decline, so I wanted to create pictures that were more contemplative.”

The industry went digital because it is cheaper, easier and more consistent than film. Frankly, most people don't see a difference. But cinephiles say the experience isn't as rich, and director Quentin Tarantino---who showed The Hateful Eight in glorious 70mm in as many theaters as possible---calls it "TV in public." Whatever the case, The Projectionists celebrates a dying art.​
    Credit: Laura Mallonee, May 5, 2016, Wired magazine (https://www.wired.com/2016/05/richar...rojectionists/)

Richard Nicholson's article, The Projectionists, is available at (http://www.richardnicholson.com/proj...rojectionists/). It is a interesting read with quotes from projectionist and several pictures. You can download the PDF at that link (it is too large to post here). Enjoy!
    “When you start the machine up and you can hear it rat-
    tat-tat-tat, it makes such a noise. I don’t know how the people
    outside in the auditorium didn’t hear it. It was marvellous.
    It made you more aware of what you were doing. When
    you had hold of this massive film and you’re showing it on a
    massive screen and you had a full audience, that’s what drives
    you on. That’s what the adrenalin is all about. You think,
    ‘This film’s cost so many millions to make and it’s me that’s
    in charge of showing it. I’m the last link in the chain.’ Which
    is what I always think a projectionist is. From a story to a
    screenplay, then a crew’s got ready, and then they get the
    actors and it’s filmed, it’s processed, then it’s sent to cinemas
    for people to see. You’re the last link in the chain so it’s
    up to you to present it properly.”

Neil Thompson​

Ed I am not to sure about some of his comments, one being the "rat tat tat it makes such a noise" bit. Modern 35mm projectors like the Kinoton are very quiet machines, if you have a "rat tat tat" then there is something wrong with that projector. Those photos of a messy projection room, with films lying everywhere on a bench is not true of where I worked that's for sure. Regarding digital projection, well I remember going to see The Sound Of Music at Reading cinemas, the session was sold out and the image looked great. I came away thinking, that no matter how much I like film, what I saw that day confirmed in my mind, it was game over for film projection and digital projection was the future. I really would have liked to have found fault with the digital "Sound of Music" presentation that day but could not and that was around 2010 mark.

Anyway Joseph Holmes made this video a while back, I did get in contact with him about adding the Mr Bean Goes On Holiday where Mr Bean is in the projection room, he has since added that, plus a few other, that were suggested by others.

I like his video and well worth watching

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
      ... Regarding digital projection, well I remember going to see The Sound Of Music at Reading cinemas, the session was sold out and the image looked great. I came away thinking, that no matter how much I like film, what I saw that day confirmed in my mind, it was game over for film projection and digital projection was the future. I really would have liked to have found fault with the digital "Sound of Music" presentation that day but could not and that was around 2010 mark.
      The debate about which looks better, film or digital, will probably never die. Regardless, when digital was introduced at 2k resolution there was nothing to debate; film was superior. As the industry moved from 2k to 4k to 8k, even serious film fans began to see that digital done right was a serious threat to film. These days avid movie collectors as happy to have a print of a movie produced digitally.

The introduction of digital saved money. It was cheaper to film, edit, duplicate, distribute, and show digital movies. Cost killed film. Unfortunately, the cost cutting was taken too far. The projectionist was not just the person running the machinery. The projectionist was the "stage manager" who controlled all aspects of the presentation. The projectionist was the expert on what audiences enjoyed. Digital did not just kill film, it killed showmanship.

Comment

I feel Ed that showmanship was all but over, by the time digital came along. One aspect that used to make me cringe at our local Reading was the masking. The side masking was fixed so after the ads and trailers, if it was a Scope feature the top masking would come down. This resulted in a smaller screen image than the previous trailers and the like, yuk. Thankfully we still had fixed top and bottom masking, lights would go fully down from half near the end of the last trailer and at the same time the side masking would move out in the dark to reveal "da da" the bigger picture, if its scope that is. Another downer back then, was the sound level played in the multi-plexes was way to loud for the most part, that still has not changed. That was something we did keep an eye on where I worked, as the last thing we wanted is complaints about the sound levels.

The thing is as we get older our hearing does change, where certain mid to high frequency can be really annoying compared to when we were young, this problem was ignored by the multi-plexes back in the film days, they just cranked it up and that was it, so showmanship was really gone before digital projection. The idea of curtains, color lights that would change, all that stuff which used to look great vanished long ago.

However there is no reason why todays cinemas can't improve there showmanship if they really wanted to. The new one in town sadly you don't even deal with a cashier to buy a ticket, you buy it through a machine, same goes for getting an ice-cream or popcorn, you pick what you want yourself then pay for it just before you enter the cinema. The good ole days of dealing with a "real person" seems to have gone as well, its all been going downhill for a while now

The cinema experience if you can call it that these day, is really non existent..

And that video below from years go pretty well sums it up

Comment

Ed thanks for posting this great film, I really enjoyed every minute, beautifully put together and a great look at the good old days before digital took hold.
          John

Comment

Ed, so many skilled jobs have gone due to the development of digital technology and artificial intelligence. This is happening in all aspects of life. The craft skills I used to teach were subjects removed from the school curriculum many years ago. In our hobby there is hardly anyone left who knows how to diagnose and repair the electronics of our equipment and the modern equivalent is not built to be repairable in many cases, indeed many have a built in “fail by” date! Moving on to digital projection and the multi plex cinemas, I agree with everything said about presentation. It looks as though they are in decline as yet another chain here Empire, is closing down. Fortunately I think the independent ones will survive as many of them, like our little local still perform a proper presentation as in the old days with curtains, coloured screen lights and fixed top and bottom masking as mentioned by Graham. This is all done admittedly by staff members who have been trained to programme the computer which controls the projector. They have had to learn the relevant I T skills to do this, just as we have had to learn what I am doing now. Not easy at my age. Finally, with regards to image quality, I used to be the rule that the front seats of a cinema should not be less than 3 times the width of the screen. so it is not surprising that multiplexes need 4 or 8 K imaging. Our local cinemas Barco machines are or were 2 years ago when I visited the projection room 2K and now one can complain about the image quality even in the front row. I cannot comment on the sound quality because of my deteriorating hearing and tinnitus. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

I feel Ed that showmanship was all but over, by the time digital came along...
              You make a an excellent point which I did not consider. Maybe digital did not kill showmanship, it just pushed it into the grave that the introduction of multiplexes began. In the end, it all comes down to money. Old large theaters were divided up, and new theaters were built as multiplexes to reduce operating costs. Showmanship is hard to implement in a small, narrow theater with it's black walls and smaller screen.

Another downer back then, was the sound level played in the multi-plexes was way to loud for the most part, that still has not changed
              That is the result of bad sound mixing. If the audience can't understand the dialog being whispered under a constant droning of background music, the easy "fix" for the exhibitor to jack up the volume. Sound levels are mixed to reserve headroom for the dramatic explosions. I recently watched an old movie, Warlock (1959), on Bluray. The old stereo soundtrack was re-recorded in DTS-MA. The dialogue was clear, the volume level consistent and never too loud. If they could do this in 1959, they can do it today.

...with regards to image quality, I used to be the rule that the front seats of a cinema should not be less than 3 times the width of the screen. so it is not surprising that multiplexes need 4 or 8 K imaging. Our local cinemas Barco machines are or were 2 years ago when I visited the projection room 2K and now one can complain about the image quality even in the front row.
              Ken, I had the same epiphany when I upgraded my old 1080i projector to 4k. I found I could stand a foot or two from the 10 foot screen and everything was crystal clear.

Comment

Ed I am not to sure about some of his comments, one being the "rat tat tat it makes such a noise" bit. Modern 35mm projectors like the Kinoton are very quiet machines, if you have a "rat tat tat" then there is something wrong with that projector...
                I see your point. I went to youtube to find a video of a noisy projection booth, and the most noise came from film rewinders, not the projector. Here is a video of a changeover on older projectors. They may "hum" but they don't "rat tat tat".

Comment

Most enjoyable little film reminding me of what used to be. Now my wife and I go to the 'Silver Screen' showings never knowing what to expect. Wrong film, picture on the ceiling, judder, we've had it all! The venue is a soulless box with minimal decoration. No music to set the mood. No curtains or lights, just a blank screen to stare at. And all run by teenagers who seem happy with the minimum. And the films selected are a strange choice. 'The Silent Twins' and 'Women Talking' bored us to death and 'Missing' almost finished the job! Having said all that, you can't fault the picture. Sharp, bright, colourful. If only they'd address the rest.

Comment

Hi Ed

Looking back to when people were putting down 35mm saying it gets scratched and so on, there really was a push to discredit film for video projection, that kind of thing did tick me of as there was nothing wrong with film, but how people treated it and the projectors they ran it on. I already had submitted to the owners to replace our Bauer U4 and the Simplex with other new Kinoton projectors. I was totally sold on the idea of getting new Kinoton projectors after using one of them. They were so quiet and smooth running machines and would have lasted for ever.

One of the things I enjoyed during my time there, was showing folk around the projection room "outside of the school holidays" I should add. The place was like a working museum with the days of film projection numbered, it was a chance to show what was involved in getting that image to the screen, giving strips of 24 frames was fun, in general old "G" rated trailers. We gave away a lot of stuff over the years to the folk that supported us.

Included is a short video I took of our part time projectionist doing his first lamp change on the one Kinoton we had.

Its all history now but it was good while it lasted.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Copy of Copy of pict35 011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	83806
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	pict 57 112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	83807
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	pict 57 114.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.8 KB ID:	83808
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Copy of pict 57 380.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.8 KB ID:	83809
                    I got some money from the cinema owner for wood to make extra shelfing for storage, even with 5 deck platters, finding a place to store films was a struggle. Quite often I would pull a film of the screening schedule for the duration of school holidays. Contact the film distributor and ask them if we can keep it to screen again after the holidays if its a good one. they were always fine with that
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	pict 57 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	83810
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Copy of pict 57 352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.4 KB ID:	83811

Comment

Oh dear Ed. On checking my post about screen distances and our local cinema, I made a
                      “typo” error. It should have read No one can complains about the image quality. The front row is way back from the screen, but probably not quite 3 times the width. My apologies. Put it down to old age! In my home cinema, With a “full house” the front row, a 3 seater settee, is 9ft from the screen which at its widest is 9ft 6 one. Behind the settee are 3 rows of 4 ex cinema tip up seats which I obtained from the Marlow theatre in Canterbury, when it was being demolished for the new build. My digital projector is a ceiling mounted Epson. Ken Finch 😊

Comment

Working...
                      X