Collecting films on VHS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting films on VHS.

I know that this may sound sacrilegious on this forum but I wonder if other members collect films recorded on VHS tapes. I have done this over the years and am now gradually disposing of them due to my advanced years. I recorded many of them from tv when they were not available to buy and many have never been available on any other format. They also include film collectors tapes produced by Keith Wilton and other cinema organisations. I also use them to make up Trailers for my home cinema using ABC daysets. Anyone interested? Ken Finch. 😊

Nope. Not me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
      ... They also include film collectors tapes produced by Keith Wilton and other cinema organisations. I also use them to make up Trailers for my home cinema using ABC daysets. Anyone interested? Ken Finch. 😊
      Ken, I and others may be interested in tapes "by Keith Wilton and other cinema organisations". I replaced all of my VHS movie tapes years ago with DVD/Bluray discs. I would guess most movies collectors have done the same. If your tapes produced by cinema organisations are not available on other media, there would probably be of interest to fellow movie collectors. Can you provide a list of these tapes?

Comment

If there are any conituity announcements between films the Kaleidoscope vintage television organisation may be interest in them as they were not normally recorded by the TV stations.

Comment

The only VHS tapes that I have bothered to keep are for those few films that have never been released on Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray.

Comment

Years ago I saw a VHS collector's discussion forum. It was kind of amazing: a lot of the language people used there was pretty similar to what we say here.

-as a medium meant for presentation on a small CRT monitor, it was actually not half-bad, especially considering it was shown on the same screen that the broadcast TV of the day was also on.

-on the other hand the old friend of mine who transferred all of his Super-8 from his Air Force tour in Vietnam onto VHS because it was "better" and then dumped the film (!) was kidding himself!

(This was maybe two years before DVD, so I'm guessing his joy was short lived.)

Comment

If there is something not available in any format, then upload it to youtube will be beneficial for the next generation. You can disposs the tapes once uploaded

Comment

What I would REALLY love to find, is some nice lad with a Beta unit, as I have one tape and one tape only ... Can you guess what it is? Yup! "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" 1974. I have always heard that Beta was marginally better than VHS, so I'd like to get a hold of one, just so I can make a high resolution file of that tape!

Comment

Hmm. Some interesting responses so far, but it appears not a lot of interest. I am not at all surprised. Will tapes recorded in the U.K. PAL system play on NTSC vhs recorders? I would not upload anything on YouTube as I do not own the copyrights. Currently I have for disposal “Armchair Odeons” 1 to 4 from Keith Wilton which were later revised on dvd if anyone would like them. Ken Finch 😊

Comment

VHS tapes will not play on normal US NTSC recorders as the tape speed is different, though some UK Pal recorders will play NTSC tapes.

Comment

Thanks Brian. I thought that was the case. It is such a shame that hardly anyone still uses them and what a waste. There must be billions of them ending up as landfill and taking hundreds of years to degrade. I know there are a few companies that recycle them but they charge so much to do it that it is really unaffordable for most of us. I also know that a few council tips/recycling centres have recycling bins for them but not in my area. Indeed some of these are being closed due to lack of council finances. Talk about reducing waste, the media giants could not care less!! Ken Finch

Comment

The 1st Star Wars releases on VHS in 1982 had Serial Numbers, and are worth a lot more than other VHS copies that came out after. Fetching upwards of Hundreds of Dollars.

see
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/29434724969...Bk9SR7C1nrLHYg

Also this web site list all the Star Wars VHS movie Story Releases listed on VHS.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sta...video_releases

Comment

I have the wide screen versions with Dolby surround. They also contain related extras by George Lucas. The later prequals are on dvd. Never bothered with the latest non Lucas one. Saw it in the cinema and thought it below par! 😉

Comment

Ken, I myself still a few old VHS video tapes of items I recorded on the TV. Items that are rarely or never shown such as the tributes to those who passed away, some of those programmes were excellent, one such show was the tribute to Jim Henson, the show was an hour long and was brilliantly done with some excellent guests, many of whom themselves are no longer with us. Others I still have are Derek and Clive, (Peter cook and Dudley Moore), and also one of the best ones, The Tommy Cooper tribute VHS which was an official release, This had tributes, (very funny too) from the likes of Benny Hill, Ronnie Barker, and expert from This is your life, when he was on it, Eric Skyes, Spike Milligan and many others. The only one who survives today on that tape is Jim Davidson. I have never found this tape on any other format.

Comment

I also have many tapes of film related programmes and films recorded from tv which were never available to purchase on vhs or dvd.

Comment

Working...
                              X