Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"THE SOUND OF MUSIC" 35mm feature in rich IB Technicolor, Kodak UK print!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" 35mm feature in rich IB Technicolor, Kodak UK print!

"THE SOUND OF MUSIC" 35mm feature in rich IB Technicolor, Kodak UK print!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275950262481

Edward,

That is absolutely fantastic. To be able to project such a beautiful print in you own home would be sensational. If only Derann had access to this print when producing the Super 8 version it would have been incredible. I understand they had to work between two different prints because of damage.

Comment

Was that for the 3x600ft cut down? I suspect they used Rank's 16mm neg for the full version.

Comment

how can it be ib tech on kodak stock. i have never seen kodak printed ib british prints.

Comment

That's a good question, Clyde.

Comment

I was thinking that Kodak may have sold Technicolor a B&W film base, it does seem to have a silver soundtrack, as it is grey. However I know little about 35mm prints, the only Technicolor reel I have is 16mm and has Technicolor edge marking.

Comment

There was no such thing as Technicolor film stock. Going back to the days of three strip Technicolor, it was Kodak B/W stock that was used in the cameras.
              When Technicolor produced its release prints, they printed the magenta strip photographically into the donor film which was Kodak B/W stock, as this has the highest contrast ratio. This layer was also used as a key to align the transfer process. After this the colour layers were added one at a time using a dye sub process on top of the black and white image.

When you look at a true technicolor print you can see that it is on B/W stock, there is no colour pigment in the actual film. This process means that the monochrome scale on the image is true monochrome as well as being in colour, giving Technicolor its unique look.
              Technicolor was just a colour process, not a film manufacturer as they worked side by side with Kodak from the very early days of development.

Comment

I heard that the B&W image was to "tone down" some of the excessive colour in prints. Also I suspect, as in other colour printing, to reduce the use of costly colour inks which were only adding grey to the picture.

Comment

Sold for
                  US $5,157.00​

Comment

Working...
                  X