• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Outdoor Screen

I only paid 50 Dollars reduced at my local Supermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XsPJHYe5Y

Looks good

Comment

That's cool enough, just don't use it in a heavy wind.

Comment

Very nice. Congratulations!

Comment

I do out door movies too. My biggest issue was the movie screen when I was getting started. My backyard faces the west and we have many strong westerly winds. Selecting a movie screen was not easy. What bothered me the most is that cheap go for the biggest number marketing plan. What I needed was a screen size based on horizontal width. NOT diagonal. What a pain in the rear end this was.

Once that was solved, I ordered a big non-inflatable tarp screen. It was 8 x 16 feet. Note the diagonal measurement was not used. The next step was to hang it at 30 feet out from projection booth and experiment with the zoom lens and cinemascope. Once I got a size and distance I liked, I marked on the screen with a magic marker the reference points. And very soon, my 8 x 16 became 5 x 12.

The screen was re-cut and re grommeted to be hung to the clab boards. The clab boards were drilled to hang on heavy bolts secured with wing nuts. The tarp screen works quite well for the movie image.

There is room for some improvement but I think to do this the tarp screen would have to go and a plywood screen put up and painted flat white with a black trim frame installed. This is my intention - however it would require community approval because it is something that changes the outside appearance. I did have to go through this step just to hang the tarp screen.

Very early on when the screen arrived I had a much more simple way of hanging however with the strong winds as Osi points out it was too heavy for the stands to hold it.

I would very much consider a replacement that is stronger to serve the purpose. I did look at blow up screens but found the sizes to be too small; and the strength to be weak; and there were many complaints in reviews the blowers were just too noisy even when the blowers were behind the screen.

Even with the tarp screen that I eventually cut down to the proper ratio - I did not appreciate everything being marketed to the 1:85 ratio on average which requires cinemascope to appear letter boxed. In some ways that is OK but then I am a purist and if you think about the reason they did scope anyhow - only the width changes - the height stays the same. And with typical screens now, that’s completely butt backwards, Remember the big beautiful movie palaces that were split down the middle and the grandness of scope was destroyed? Well, one reason we do this hobby is for the grandness of our presentations. Don’t let your guard down! Enough said!

Attached Files

Comment

Chip, that looks a lot like what I was doing with my original indoor roll down screen. It was, two quite long wood dowels, two hooks for the ceiling, and the most reflective silk bed sheet, and lots and lots of thumbtacks, but the whole cost less than thirty dollars.

Comment

The primary point is what makes the person screening their films happy. Different people, different requirements, different standards, different screens.

Edward, I look forward to pictures of your outdoor screenings!

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Nicielnik View Post
                I only paid 50 Dollars reduced at my local Supermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XsPJHYe5Y
                $50 includes the blower? no way...!!

Comment

Take your projector viewing to the next level with this giant inflatable screen! Perfect for use outdoors with its tie down ropes and stakes, this screen supports image size up to a massive 117". With a built-in powered air pump to inflate the screen in less than 3 minutes, and keep inflated while running. With a large clear viewing area and no seams through the middle, you can use it with projector and speakers for a premium outdoors cinema & television theater system experience.
                  ​ yes it has a built in blower

Comment

Super Cheap Auto had it Sold out

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p-...en/638641.html

Comment

Working...
                    X