The 100 Best Movies of the Past 10 Decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 100 Best Movies of the Past 10 Decades

"TIME’s Stephanie Zacharek on the top films from the 1920s through the 2010s"

Link: https://time.com/collection/100-best-movies/

I saw most of the films of the 20th century, but no so many of those from the 21st century.

I have seen 46 of them and like Ed, most are from the 20th century. I have many of them in my collection but mainly on vhs or dvd. Some of those from the silent era being abridged versions on 9.5,mm. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

Workman's "100 Years of Film" AFI..Turner often ran the seven-minute filler..Anyone have a 16, will buy..Cheers, Shorty

Comment

100 YEARS AT THE MOVIES
        Chuck Workman

Comment

I had an old friend and roommate who used to make lists of Greatest Movies, Greatest Sports Teams, Greatest Whatever, and was always wanting to discuss said lists with anyone within hearing distance. He also "borrowed" my GE portable cassette deck/radio one day, said he'd give it back asap, and never did. He also used to drink until he passed out and/or threw up. Haven't seen him in years. Don't miss him a bit.

Comment

Onnie,

I believe he's mentioned in the 100 Worst Roommates list now making the rounds.

Comment

Years ago I picked up this excellent DVD from the US, I am not sure if its still around but "Image Entertainment" issued good quality DVDs back then, this is one of them.

Also a 960 page book, is another excellent reference called "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die".
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340029.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	84734

Name:	P1340030.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	84735

Name:	P1340028.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	84736

Comment

Graham,

That American Film Institute DVD brings back a lot of memories. I did a number of shoots for the AFI, many of them for the "100 Years" series of specials. The pictured DVD is from 1998. They did an updated show in 2007. The interviews with the directors were always engrossing.

Comment

I notice that with each passing decades, the 10 picked go from films merely meant to entertain, to "message" movies. Also, it appears that the closer the decade to today, the fewer films I've bothered to see. Personally, I hate message films. Also, the closer to today, the fewer U.S. made films are on the list. I've always been amazed that "McCabe and Ms. Miller" is so highly praised. I've seen it and while it's not a total loss, it was a one watch film in my opinion. Surprised to see Magnificent Ambersons on the list, but not Citizen Kane.

Comment

Working...
                  X