A culture of stupidity ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A culture of stupidity ...

I just watched the new Indy film, which was quite enjoyable, but it is yet another casualty of the culture of stupidity. What and where is this culture of stupidity? It's found in chat groups, on YouTube and elsewhere. People who have they're own "page" and in they're stupidity, believe that they are an authority when it comes to any given subject. Now, there are a few, here and there who actually are an authority of sorts in a specific topic, but most wouldn't know they're arse from a hole in the ground. In this case, I am speaking of film. Personally, I think that Disney made a mistake in premiering Indy 5 at the film festival, three or so weeks before the official release. This allowed the idiots to surface and totally destroy the films reputation before it was even officially released. If they had released it without the early screening, the first weekend would have been a potential blockbuster. However, the idiots, who wouldn't know a director from a gaffer, spout they're stupidity, and people just eat it up. The film isn't as big as the original Raiders, honestly, but it is certainly a worthy final film and highly entertaining. Studios really need to rethink the way they release films these days, and stop relying on first screenings and such to guage how well they have done. Unfortunately, in this case, the cretins won.

Well said Osi! And of course the same applies to a lot of topics besides film. The problem is it seems that, despite their ignorance, they still get get a lot of subscribers who are willing to accept every one of their statements and positions without even questioning them, or doing some real fact checking.

Comment

Where ignorance is bliss it’s folly to be wise. These internet ignoramuses are just doing the same as they formerly would do via the gutter press. Unfortunately many people are susceptible to what I have always called the “emperor s new clothes syndrome”. If you say something loud enough and often enough the people will believe it. It’s nothing new. It has been going on throughout history. Ken Finch😉

Comment

Remember the old adage about accused witches. If you threw them in the river and they drowned they were innocent. If they floated you took them out and burnt them at the stake. Everyone a winner.

Goebels also had a theory Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”​

Comment

I don't think the new Indiana Jones film was damaged because it was previewed early, Sadly, the younger generation are just not interested in seeing an 80 year old action hero. I offered to take my grandchildren to see it and they were not very interested. A lot of the complaints I saw on YouTube were with Disney who once again used the old disgruntled male been helped by a young female who saves the day instead of the hero, which makes his adventure pointless. Look how Disney treated Luke Skywalker in the new star wars movies. I enjoyed the film but it was nowhere near as good as Mission impossible or Oppenhiemer.

Comment

Remember when " Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" came out? The main complaint I heard on the internet ... "OMG! He is sooo old!". Just wait kiddies, age is coming YOUR WAY! Boo hoo hoo ha ha haaa!

Comment

I watched "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and I thought, "meh." For the record, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (not "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"), which I saw in the theater in 1981, really knocked me out, I loved it, it's still one of my favorite movies. Didn't much care for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Loved "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," there's something about the relationship between Indy and his father that really gets to me. In fact, I've probably seen "Last Crusade" more times than "Raiders," and that's saying something.

I saw "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny," and ... well, if you liked it, more power to you. To me, the last Indiana Jones film is/was "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

As for people on the internet who think they're authorities on any given subject just because they know how to post a comment on some thread -- welcome to the 8mm forum!

Comment

Who are these idiots that you guys are referring to? People who didn’t like the film?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael O’Regan View Post
                  Who are these idiots that you guys are referring to? People who didn’t like the film?
                  Maybe peoople who say the film is rubbish but also say they haven't actually seen it, just a trailer or excepts.

Comment

Working...
                  X