Carl Davis CBE 1936 - 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Davis CBE 1936 - 2023

Just heard the sad news via The Carl Davis Collection Facebook page that Carl died this morning. He was a prolific composer and conductor, but surely his output of work creating new scores for silent films was his crowning achievement. I will never forget watching him conduct the score for a screening of the 1925 Ben-Hur in The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, and also a screening of Napoleon (all 5+ hours of it) at the Royal Festival Hall in London. RIP.

Can anyone forget the series, HOLLYWOOD..and that beautiful opening of melodious pleasure...Shorty

Comment

The French Lieutenant's Woman has a beautiful score by Carl Davis that works brilliantly with Freddie Francis' cinematography.

Comment

It was refreshing to know that Carl Davis was up for some comedy as well.

Comment

A very sad loss. One of the worlds most talented composers of music for films. His work for Napolian was brilliant. I also remember the screening of this at the Festival Hall in London. Ken Finch.

Comment

Not forgetting his collaboration with Paul McCartney on the wonderful "Liverpool Oratorio."

Comment

This is indeed sad news. Like Shorty I found the music composed for Hollywood inspiring.

Comment

Working...
              X