• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cinema experience at Robina Screen x

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=677818520454150

The reason they invented Cinerama!

Comment

When TVs became a competitor, the cinemas went widescreen. When the TVs became larger and at least 16:9, the cinemas installed better audio systems. Now that everyone (except me) has got at least Dolby Digital 7.1 at home, too, the cinemas are installing side screens (that will only be used in a few selected scenes in a few selected movies)… . In a few years, everyone will have the same experience at home by using three TVs or beamers. I guess that the cinemas will then start to use the ceiling as another screen, too… when will this ever end?

Comment

It is all becoming rather silly. I do not know any human being who has 180 degree vision. We naturally focus on what is in front of us. To follow any lateral movement to that extent means constantly moving our heads. This can cause neck strains and giddiness. It would be o k for some species of animals though who can move their eyes independently. Ken Finch😉

Comment

Yes it has to be shot right, no action other than at the centre, the rest just to make it more real with peripheral vision hints of the surroundings. That's something the lost in later widescreen films.
          Anyone remember the very short live Circlerama experiment 360 degree pictures.

Comment

Yes Brian, for many years Disney had a Circlerama attraction at their theme park in Orlando. It used 11 35mm projectors and you walked into the center of the room to view it. They had black bars between the screens so it was kind of like flying around in a gondola. Very effective though and the scenes flying over the USA were stunning.

Comment

I remember Disney's Circle Vision 360° theater in Tomorrowland. I believe the film was Wonders of China.

Comment

Working...
              X