Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What We Lose When Streaming Companies Choose What We Watch

What We Lose When Streaming Companies Choose What We Watch
    Maybe don’t throw away all your DVDs just yet.

By Richard Brody
    New Yorker Magazine
    August 25, 2023

To have or not to have, that is the question. The problem with having is obvious when looking around at the many shelves for books and CDs and the filing cabinet for DVDs that line the walls and fill floor space at home. It’s especially an issue for city people whose apartment space is at a premium and who lack basements or attics or (imagine!) a spare room to hold their hoard. Ditching physical media in favor of streaming is a liberation of sorts—an unburdening that goes beyond clutter and, in a sense, lightens life itself. It’s a moveable feast for those who live precariously and for others who travel often. In Michael Mann’s thriller “Heat,” Robert De Niro delivers this line: “A guy told me one time, ‘Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in thirty seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.’ ” So much for the personal library. At least he’ll have his Criterion Channel subscription.

I was out of town for a couple of weeks recently, and I had my subscriptions, too. The permanent smorgasbord of streaming services, whether of movies or music, is a diabolical temptation. Curiosity is easy to satisfy—at least within the wide limits of what’s available. Moreover, a month’s subscription to the Criterion Channel costs less than the purchase of any one Criterion Collection disk, while offering access to hundreds of classics. Even a small basketful of various subscriptions would likely add up to less than one might easily spend on a batch of CDs or DVDs or Blu-rays (not to mention the devices to play them on). Not only is streaming a good deal; given the huge losses recorded by many major streaming services, it may be too good a deal, as suggested by the surprising news this week—even as Netflix is ending its original DVD-by-mail service—that Bob Iger, the C.E.O. of Disney, is contemplating restoring physical media to the company’s offerings.

There’s an element of duty in a critic’s personal library, the preservation of what may prove useful for work, but it’s not the prime motive for compiling one (as I’ve been doing since childhood). Collecting is an act of love; even though it risks fetish-like attachments to the objects in question, its essence is found not in the objects themselves but in the pleasure that they provide, by delivering movies, music, literature—by providing the experience of art. Yet the experience of art is, above all, an experience, a part of life, and, just as the arts are more than mere nutrients, the medium is more than a delivery system: it has an aesthetic and a psychology of its own. The prime factor of home video is control, and it’s the struggle for control, between corporate entities and individual viewers, that’s at play in the shift from physical media to streaming.

First, even the most bountiful streaming services give with one hand while taking with the other. For example, the Criterion Channel, the gold standard for cinephilic offerings, both announces a new batch of films arriving on the first day of the following month and thoughtfully warns subscribers of what’s leaving on the last day of the current one. (Among the August 31st farewells is a large batch of Buster Keaton’s features and shorts, Martin Scorsese’s “Mean Streets,” Stanley Kwan’s intricate docu-fictional bio-pic “Center Stage,” and a group of films featuring Marilyn Monroe, including “Monkey Business” and “All About Eve.”) This is not a knock on any particular service, but it is a reason to be wary of exclusive reliance on all streaming services. There is an implicit permanence to owning a disk. (Even obsolete media, such as VHS tapes or 78-r.p.m. records, can still be played.) With streaming, availability is out of one’s control and movie-watching becomes an activity conducted under the aegis of a big brother, however well-meaning.

And that invisible hand isn’t always so benign, as indicated by ominous messages that sometimes pop up at the start of films to proclaim—as, for instance, has been seen on Disney+—that “this film has been modified from its original version. It has been edited for content.” What vanished? Sex? Drugs? Cigarettes? Hateful dialogue? “Pervasive language”? Only by watching side by side with a DVD can one find out. The oddly intrusive feeling of each viewing being mediated—by a business standing between oneself and the viewing, the listening, the reading—bears a chill of surveillance. That’s not the case when one holds in one’s lap a book that one owns, pops a disk into a player, or lays a needle on a record. Along with the specific aesthetic of movies one views, there’s an economic aesthetic at work, too, in each type of transaction: having a movie in hand that’s paid for once, or paying forever and owning nothing but memories and promises.

A collection of physical media is a bulwark against fear—the fear that rights holders may take works out of circulation, whether because of a mere contractual lapse or a calculated market-making and desire-stoking scarcity. For decades, starting long before the age of home video, Howard Hawks’s “Scarface” and Alfred Hitchcock’s “Vertigo” were unavailable in the United States for theatrical screenings. In their absence, the cinephilic world didn’t stop spinning, but it was smaller, narrowing the realm of knowledge and the spectrum of pleasure alike. The sense of crisis that always marks the interface of art and power has grown all the sharper in recent years, with the sudden disappearance of Web sites and distributors (such as Filmstruck and New Yorker Films) and the mighty archive of work that they harbor, and the mergers and takeovers of sites, publications, movie and record companies, and book publishers by owners with commercial or ideological agendas that conflict with the preservation and availability of archives. The shutdown or lockdown of a single site may eliminate all access to the only extant source for a major movie. Thus, physical media take on an essentially political role as the basis for samizdat, for the preservation in private of what’s neglected or suppressed or destroyed in the public realm, be it through mercantile vandalism, doctrinaire censorship, or technological apocalypse.

The modern history of movies started in the nineteen-thirties, when Henri Langlois and Georges Franju founded the Cinémathèque Française and Iris Barry established MOMA’s Film Library. Most movie companies at the time treated their film prints as literal throwaways to be recycled for their chemical ingredients—on the assumption that these movies, once released and exhausting their first runs, had no further value. The future of the cinema, its advance into the forefront of modern art, resulted from the preservation and appreciation of its past. In an era when cheap physical media such as DVDs circulate widely, preservation is no longer the exclusive province of institutions housing bulky and expensive film prints. The archive of the future is decentralized, crowdsourced. Far from being nostalgic and conservative, the maintenance of a stock of physical media at home is a progressive act of defiance.
    Source: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...-what-we-watch

Interesting but the research is not accurate with regard to the last paragraph. Many film producing companies kept archives of negatives of their prints. Some were lost in fires etc. and a number of U.S.A. Companies dumped their silent films when sound arrived. I see no mention of the fact that most of the films streamed are interrupted by advertisements unless you pay extra, are often cut to fit programme schedules. With dvd and vhs you can watch the, whenever you wish. In addition they often contain interesting extras. They are also limited to the films they have copyright agreements. Ken Finch.

Comment

Sorry. I meant to say that the streaming companies are limited to the films the can obtain the rights to stream. Ken Finch.

Comment

When I last moved, half of the van was filled with books, CDs, LPs, DVDs, films, a TV, a hifi system, S8-projectors, … DVD player, TV, a desktop PC with monitor and printer, … .

When a colleague recently moved, he only took his ebook- reader and his laptop. No TV, no hifi, no physical media, … . This was very spooky, but at the same time very efficient and lean.
        What I didn’t understand: he doesn’t even have a local backup of his photos! He fully relies on a single Cloud provider! (I survived so many services with a „lifetime warranty“, that this really terrifies me. E.g. I once used the „Kodak Gallery“. When Kodak sold it, the new owner soon renamed it and blocked all accounts from users with addresses outside the USA. And this wasn’t the only service that I once used and that doesn’t exist anymore. Not to mention the services that tripled the prices while simultaneously adding tons of advertising.)

To come back to streaming: I’m using Amazon Prime. But „now“ that Disney and Paramount are having their own streaming services, many films suddenly aren’t available on Amazon without paying extra anymore. Not to mention that 90% of the remaining movies are „action“ movies (nearly no comedies, no romantic movies, no documentaries, …). And many European productions are missing. Same applies to films from Hongkong, to Japanese movies, … . I wouldn’t mind paying extra for renting certain individual films - but more and more movies are only available via additional subscriptions (CineAsia, Animacs, National Geographic, BBC+, …). But this isn’t an option as at the same time Amazon increased the prices … . Hence, I’m not so impressed by the streaming services anymore. Not to mention that the „Amazon music“ that is included in the normal Prime fees now completely sucks because it is basically reduced to „radio channels“.

Comment

It's all the bloody censorship as well. It's getting harder and harder to find the unedited, uncensored original feature films. Some films to this very day, are no longer even to be found, such as Song of the South, as an example. It almost makes me want to become a pirate of sorts, just to have the right to enjoy something that I innocently watched I'm my youth.

Comment

Right here is a question....if you enjoy watching movies projected, say using a video projector and a DVD or blu-ray source, how does that compare image and sound wise to streaming. The reason I ask, is I like to think that what I am watching is the best quality I can get, so what's is it like coming of the internet as its something I have never done.

Comment

Hi Graham,

I project about 4' by 8' and at least at that size, streamed video looks fine.

It has its uses for us. Here and there we want to watch a movie that's new to us and we aren't sure we want to commit ourselves and risk winding up with a dead disk on the shelves, so we stream it.

-sometime we end up buying the disk anyway...often not.

Comment

Well, we get down to the same well worn but important argument. Film collectors, that is, FILM collectors, do not collect due to getting a film in its best presentation, audio or video, it's a hobby that goes far beyond the mere aquisition of celluloid. Hey, I'm not a hippocrate, I own Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray, (only about 30 Blu-rays) as well, but they don't have the magic that celluloid holds for me.

Comment

I mainly stream classic movies from TCM and occasionally films from YouTube. Quality is very variable, ranging from good to awful. Nothing comes close to a Blu Ray disc in terms of picture quality or sound. I am so glad that I have now accumulated a library of hundreds of discs of my favorite films, particularly as they are now disappearing or only available on paid streaming services. Thank God for TCM which is our go to channel for great movies. So tired of all the modern action film crap.
                  Bottom line though is that film projection gives me the most enjoyment of any cinema medium.

Comment

I find video projection is supplemental: it gives me access to material I'd never have if I was strictly film only. It is absolutely true that I get a lot more satisfaction from collecting film, which is why I still do it. As a matter of fact I got a VP and maybe a year after that added 16mm. Obviously adding in 16mm took me somewhere where the VP couldn't.

They are distinct enough to me that there are several films I own both digitally and on 16mm or 8mm including three features. The difference in the choice is how active I want to be in the process at a given moment. (When I go to CineSea I'm perfectly happy to let other people run the projectors!)

The depth of material available to screen using a VP is astounding. We have a pretty young tradition of putting the Winter Olympics on screen (twice now). Our son has a Blu-Ray of Billy Joel doing the very last event ever at Shea Stadium, which is awesome entertainment. One time, our friends' daughter was in a dance competition up at college several hundred miles away and they couldn't go see it. We invited them over to watch the live stream on the big screen with nice sound: it was nicer for them that way.

So, It goes way beyond just traditional motion pictures.

It even helps the film-only side: If I'm keeping it just film, I only have maybe 10-15 features, all of which my family has seen. If I do some film shorts and then light up the VP, I can add in a feature that maybe they haven't ever seen before. As a matter of fact tonight we are watching 2001:A Space Odyssey, maybe the third time for me, but the first for my wife and son. This way, the "audience" is a lot more likely to be bigger than just me.

What's interesting is if I go single format, it's almost always film. Just the act of pulling down the screen, turning on the projector stand (where the sound mixer is based), and then turning on the amplifier just feels like a prelude to threading up and watching some films.

-otherwise for video only I'd be half-tempted to just sit down in front of a TV and use that player!
                    Last edited by Steve Klare; August 27, 2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                      I mainly stream classic movies from TCM and occasionally films from YouTube. Quality is very variable, ranging from good to awful. Nothing comes close to a Blu Ray disc in terms of picture quality or sound. ...
                      Paul, another good source for older movies is https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/. Movies! TV Network is only available over the air as a sub-channel. You will need a DVR to record the over-the-air signal if you want to keep a copy. I record on a PC and then run the recording through a commercial remover.

I recommend Movies! because the quality is always high. They are using new digital copies of the films most of the time, so no "pan and scan". They often show scope films in the original format, or at worst case, they crop scope to fill a 16.9 screen. They do not cut the films to fit a time slot.

Comment

Graham, the short answer when comparing Blu-ray quality compared to streaming 1080p content is no.

Streaming uses a lot more compression than a Blu-ray disc. Even downloading a 1080p title usually has the same restrictions.

Some platforms now offer 4K HDR streaming, but the issue of compression still reduces the quality compared to a physical 4K HDR disc.

Of course, buying a disc of every title you want to watch on big screen home cinema is unrealistic, even though the quality is so much better. Here in the UK we have one of the last disc rental companies, "Cinema Paradiso", who to me are a godsend in letting me watch quality Blu-ray and 4K discs at home and then returning them. All at a very reasonable cost.

I dread the day they ever close and leave only streaming as an option for new (and even old) movies.

One alternative would be if someone offered a download option in Blu-ray quality and file size to watch from a media player. Of course the download time would be a factor and I don't think anyone is interested in that route as it takes away the quick and convenient access to a movie.

Much like being able to download a studio quality audio album...but look how popular that is...😰

Comment

Thanks folks, for me though like tonight, watching a second hand Bruce Willis blu-ray of "Tears Of The Sun" using the Epson, gives me the chance to sit down near the front close to the screen. In fact with all blu-ray VP screening we all head for the front seats these days. Unlike other small film formats like Super 8 or 16mm its quite the opposite with film, the further back the better except the "Ernemann 2" that's good enough for the front, even at the cinema most folk would want to watch a film from the rear rows and not down the front, remember those long ago days of the cheap seats were the front stalls, the slightly more expensive ones were the rear stalls, and if you had even more money the balcony. Home video projection and blu-ray, or better still 4K which I don't have, but it would be nice one day I find you are more absorbed being closer, but that is only possible if the image projected is good enough. I find blu-ray can in most cases deliver that. With that in mind, I have in the past replaced the odd DVD with a blu-ray of the same title like "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" it just makes it so much better to watch. DVD is ok, so don't get me wrong, but say watching "JAWS" on blu-ray does show up much more fine detail, its more fun

Well it looks like I will stick to having a movie on a disc rather than coming from a streaming service, I like the idea of just placing the disc in the player and away we go, also many titles include extras, which is something I like looking at as well.

Rob the rental stores are all but gone here, they were the place to go to get a Saturday night movie at home, how times change.
                          Last edited by Graham Ritchie; August 28, 2023, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I just think the whole streaming thing is quite sad. There will be generations who will no longer collect films in any format and companies are going to control what they want the public to see. Too many people want to tell us what we can and cannot watch. Streaming is likely to be the ultimate in censorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Young View Post
                              Graham, the short answer when comparing Blu-ray quality compared to streaming 1080p content is no.

Streaming uses a lot more compression than a Blu-ray disc. Even downloading a 1080p title usually has the same restrictions.

Some platforms now offer 4K HDR streaming, but the issue of compression still reduces the quality compared to a physical 4K HDR disc...
                              This is also true for "cable TV". The compression used to stuff all those channels on to the wire makes "over the air" superior in quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X