Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Shapps, RIP.

From his son Grant's twitter feed yesterday morning:

A tough few days saying goodbye to my dad, who passed away Sunday evening. At 91, he remained as upbeat and optimistic as ever right until the end. He will be hugely missed by me, our entire family, and all who knew him. May his memory be a blessing.

As I understand it Tony was instrumental in starting the widescreen revolution in 8mm - both filming and in encouraging distributors to put out scope releases, through his shop The Widescreen Centre. I still enjoy reading his columns - Shappervescence - in old issues of Film For The Collector. There will be plenty on here who will be able to add more I'm sure. RIP.
    Last edited by John Armer; September 12, 2023, 06:16 AM.

O dear. Another one gone! Not surprising really. We cannot go on forever and let’s face it most of us pioneers of film collecting and cine film users are well past our sell by dates! Quite right, Tony was instrumental in promoting wide screen for amateur film makers and collectors. He wrote many articles in the amateur film magazines which followed on from Amateur Cine World.

Comment

Another sad news. I visited several the Widescreen Centre when it was still located in the Baker Street are.

Comment

He also went out to cine clubs to demonstrate widescreen with a modular curved screen (He came to the one I belonged to) and organised (with the Widescreen association) several "Widex" events I also saw him with a stand at a Derann open day.

Losing three in such a short time is very bad.

RIP Tony.

Comment

I remember him being at The Super 80 Film Fair in Blackpool in 1980. No one seems to remember this fair, not sure why all the main dealers were there. Tony was showing trailers in Cinemascope on a screen on his stand. I purchased the Cinevision reel with ‘Captain Nemo and the Underwater City, Ice Station Zebra and Where Eagles Dare. He was a gentleman and his loss is a sad day for Super 8 collectors everywhere.

Comment

What is the matter with everyone on this forum, Has nobody got a memory cell in their heads. He died two and a half years ago!!!
            You sent him your condolences !!!

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...apps#post48895

Unbelievable !!!

Comment

Goodness me, yes i can see he died a few years ago so not too sure whats happened for this to be put up.

Comment

Those previous posts were a mistake I believe.

Graham S

Comment

Yes. the second page of that thread has this.
                  " January 07, 2022, 01:21 AM

Yes Tony Shapps is Alive, what John Clancy said on youtube is wrong.
                  I just received an email from Tony of his latest Concepts e newsletter Issue Jan 2022,
                  He mentions a Widescreen format called Half 16mm, if you would like to have a look at
                  this email you can contact me and I will forward onto you."

Comment

As John quoted earlier from X, formerly known as Twitter​:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grant Shapps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	86786

Also:

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl141387.png Views:	0 Size:	601 Bytes ID:	86787
                    Grant Shapps reveals his 'upbeat and optimistic' father has died aged 91 - two years after surviving hospital

Comment

Steve, yes you are simply unbelievable. Check your facts before insulting everyone on the forum.

Comment

Reading the first few posts of the thread from back in 2021, one would definitely get the idea that Mr. Shapps had passed away. It's not till post #15 at the very bottom of the page that Rodney Bourke mentions an email received just a few days before, and then on the next page Mark Williams & Rodney both post that the report of his death was incorrect.

I placed a note in the first post of that thread yesterday, for clarification.

Comment

Steve. To err is human, to forgive is divine!😉

Comment

Tony Shapps Mr Widescreen UK.
                            After battling COVID a few years ago,
                            his passing, has made the Daily Mail News.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...id/ar-AA1gxLUi

Comment

Rodney, thank you for clearing this up, i did see this myself so already I knew, im just surprised how a subject of this nature could have been so wrong.
                              My own thoughts are that this thread ought to be removed as the poor man died some two years ago and it was covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X