Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Forum Members - Likely Scammer contacting members about their posted wants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Forum Members - Likely Scammer contacting members about their posted wants

Did you recently receive a private message from brand new member Chuck Pourciau? It appears that this person has been contacting anyone who's been posting their wants in various sections here, sending variations of this message:

hello are you still interested in getting this?.
    you can contact xxxx he has a xxxxxxxxx for sale........... PM him @An....Sch....@gmail

I've heard from members who have followed up on these and were asked to send money in different ways giving them the feeling that something shady is going on. Somehow this person has practically everything in every format that members were looking for. Do not deal with this person until we get more information. Brad & I are looking into this further.

Please let me know if you've been contacted.

Comment

Yep I did get 2 but never replied.

Comment

This is likely the same scammer that has been using multiple different names on facebook groups as of recent. He mostly uses photos from ebay but also google image search and typically is in a hurry for you to transfer money because he has other people interested or has to move it, etc.

Please if you are contacted by ANYONE wanting to sell you something, first ask for photos. THEN once you get the photos, explain to them that you need to make sure that they are a real person and ACTUALLY HAVE THE ITEM BEING DISCUSSED before proceeding further. To prove the item is legit, you REQUIRE that they take another photo of the item to send to you. The catch here is that this new photo MUST include a shot of their hand holding up 3 fingers or one finger and a thumb or holding a piece of paper that has 5842X written on it, etc. Basically just require them to send another photo that is so unique they couldn't possibly find it on a google image search. Don't let them suggest the uniqueness of the proof photo (for example "how about I take a photo with a thumbs up?"). For this to work YOU need to come up with something unique like a random number written on a piece of paper being held up in front of the item. If they can provide that, then negotiate and purchase your item. The odds are the transaction will go ok if you make them jump through this hoop first.

And BTW if they say their camera is broken or give some excuse like "I can't take a photo holding up that number until next week and it will be sold by then", don't lose any sleep over it. It's almost certainly a scam and the item likely doesn't even exist.

Comment

I had a message from that guy asking if I'd managed to get a 'The Jolson Story' Digest yet. I put him off as it sounded dodgy.
          Alan

Comment

Deleted it .... can't fool Shorty

Comment

Dear Douglas

Yes, I received a PM from „Chuck Pourciau“ about my Emma Peel topic. „An… Sch….“ is going to sell a title. But when he was asking, what title I am looking for, I was sceptical. And after my next question, he didn’t reply.

I came to the forum minutes ago to tell You about it and now I am happy, to find this topic.

Thank You!

Oliver

Comment

Yes, I received a PM from the individual you stated, to contact an email of an "Andrewshuler" ( I think that was the name of the person's email), concerning Island of Dr Moreau. When I wrote, asking for screenshots, I haven't heard anything back since. Thanks 4 the heads up, Brad and Doug. BEWARE! These kind of folks don't take lightly to being exposed! I went thru sheer hell when some scammer took over my email and tried to con my contacts into sending "me" money to repair my roof! Doug/Brad, your welcome to check out my PM's, it's right in there.

Comment

Usually as a buyer, I would have the images with a card carrying my name placed along item(s) to be sold. This is also seen as a bare minimum standard practice in 2nd hand market here as well.

In other words - any sellers who failed to follow this practice, it is 99% likely to be a scam.

However Brad's idea just raised this to another level. Very interesting indeed!😃 I may provide similar practice to potential buyers in my classified as well.
                  Last edited by Nantawat Kittiwarakul; September 22, 2023, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Here's the message I received a few days ago. I did not respond, and felt it looked suspicious.

​​​​​​
                    Chuck Pourciau September 19, 2023, 05:03 AM
                    you can contact Evans he has a 600' Eumig take-up reel for sale........... PM him @ Andrewschuler283@gmail.com

Not only does this look bogus, but who the hell is Evans, LOL.

Comment

Hi,

I too received a message as follows:

Chuck Pourciau September 19, 2023, 04:39 AM
                      you can contact Evans he has a 16mm feature of the 1996 movie DragonHeart for sale........... PM him @ Andrewschuler283@gmail.com

I asked a few questions as I was dubious and I didn't hear anything more, very suspicious.

Thank you,
                      Darren​

Comment

I would caution putting copies of mails as above could be vulnerable in certain ways..........

Comment

Yes I got a message saying he had part of Fantasia I had been after. Same as mentioned earlier, contact evans at the email given above. Contact Evans. It looked odd so I asked who Evans is, no reply received. Surprise surprise.

Comment

Ah, same here.
                            Asked me for compensation money, for his time spend on me by mail.
                            Hope Covid -19 strikes him hard.

He puts time in his scam and send me nice photo's from a mint Braun Visacustic 2000​

If guys like that put the same effort in honest work, they could earn as much or even more money.

Here some info

PM from Chuck Pourciau

I emailed with Andrew Schuler • andrewschuler283@gmail.com

His Paypal eMail Mayadavisxn@gmail.com
                            Last edited by Matthieu van der Sluis; September 27, 2023, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The important thing is that this S.O.B. was and is identified. Sadly, by the time these criminals are caught, countless people have been victimized.

Comment

Working...
                              X