Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first film you remember seeing in a cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first film you remember seeing in a cinema?

For me it was being taken by my grandmother to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Astoria Charing Cross Road London. I believe now that this was the films second release at this cinema, and was presented in 70mm.
    I seem to remember that I was more fascinated to know how the picture got onto the screen rather than watching the actual film.
    This was one of the last films shown at the Astoria as soon after in the 70s the theatre got turn into a live music venue, and then after a night club.
    Sadly she is no more, as the theatre and the neighbouring block was demolished in 2009. A glass and steel monstrosity now stands in its place.
    The funny thing is I can still remember the smell of the auditorium, a cross between disinfectant and popcorn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AstoriaBuilder8.jpg
Views:	10149
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	90153 Click image for larger version

Name:	advert-for-chitty-chitty-bang-bang-at-the-astoria-evening-standard-souvenir-newspaper-replica-for-the-apollo-11-moon-landings-on-21st-july-1969-2d9rarr.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	90154

I'm in my early 30's now, so the first movie I ever remember seeing was 1998's LOST IN SPACE remake with my dad as a kid. I remember liking it as a kid, but i'm not to fond of it these days! lol.

Comment

There was probably a Disney film earlier, however I clearly recall seeing Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster in our local movie theater. Thanks, Mom!

Comment

Double feature! Disney's animated "Robon Hood", and the sci Fi classic, "Silent Running". It was my first time in the cinema, and it happened to be because my dad was a projectionist!

Comment

My brother and I spent every summer with my grandparents in Oregon. My aunt would take us and our cousins to the little theatre in Sandy, Ore. I believe the first two films I saw was in that cinema in 1958. The double feature showing was a Ma and Paw Kettle film (not sure which one) and Cary Grant in Houseboat.

Comment

Star-Lite Drive in Theater, Pottersville New York, Summer 1967

Sean Connery was James Bond in You Only Live Twice.

Mom and Dad did the drive-in with classic 1960s style: one year old, first generation Mustang coupe, 289 CID V8, Yellow, had the drive-in speaker up in the window.

We adults might think of You Only Live Twice​ as a spy-thriller, but to a five year old boy with a room full of Tonka trucks and Matchbox cars back home, seeing them dump that Toyota sedan into the harbor with a helicopter and a big magnet brought it more into the realm of a horror movie! -as if Kindergarten wasn't trauma enough! (....😉)

Drive-Ins started to get fewer and further in-between in the years that followed. What's interesting is the next time I went to a drive-in was the summer of 1983. Once again it was Sean Connery as James Bond in Never Say Never Again.

-maybe the biggest difference was this time I was driving!

Comment

Three early ones come to mind, Campbell's Kingdom, 20,000leagues under the Sea and The Parent Trap, all at the local "Flea pit" matinees in school holidays with my mother. I can't remember which was first and I doublt they were first run showings.

Comment

Shaftesbury cinema Leeds, mum took me to see Planet of the apes with Charlton Heston, 6 year old mind blown.

Comment

Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
                  ​​​​

Comment

Asbury Park NJ...one was at the Paramount (How The West Was Won) and the other at the Mayfair (Mad World), both were '62/'63, not sure which was first for me...Shorty

Comment

I seem to remember my brothers taking me to Curse of Frankenstein. I definitely remember one of my brothers taking me to 13 Ghosts. I was so scared of the ghosts I hid my face against my brother. The movie I went to by myself was 101 Dalmatians.

Comment

Oliver 1968 please Sir I want Some More at the Odeon Cinema Melbourne now long gone

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	149
Size:	805.0 KB
ID:	90228
                          Odeon next to the Odeon was Times Cinema where I saw many news Reels Cartoons

Comment

more

Odeon Theatre, 283 Bourke St | CBD News

Comment

Times Cinema in Melbourne, AU - Cinema Treasures

Comment

Working...
                              X