X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in History

November 13, 1940

"Fantasia" premieres (1940)

Fantasia was first released as a theatrical roadshow that was held in 13 cities across the U.S. between 1940 and 1941; the first began at the Broadway Theatre in New York City on November 13, 1940. While acclaimed by critics, it failed to make a profit owing to World War II's cutting off distribution to the European market, the film's high production costs, and the expense of building Fantasound equipment and leasing theatres for the roadshow presentations. Since 1942, the film has been reissued multiple times by RKO Radio Pictures and Buena Vista Distribution with its original footage and audio being deleted, modified, or restored in each version. When adjusted for inflation, Fantasia is the 23rd highest-grossing film of all time in the U.S.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(1940_film)

This included the introduction of the multi-channel sound system, FANTASOUND pre-dating the introduction of Dolby Surround decades later.

I first watched "Fantasia" at a cinema during the late 1970s on a re-release. At the time, I did not think much of the film itself, a bit boring zzzzz. However jump forward to the good ole Derann days and I bought new "Night On Bald Mountain". I liked that extract so much, I later bought, again new "The Nutcracker Suite", both extracts came on 400 foot reels, excellent print quality, even though the sound was only mono, it sounded really good. A few years later I was offered the trailer, soundtrack demo, the pastoral symphony and Dance of the hours, all on one Elmo 800 foot reel for $50 dollars, those were certainly the good ole days. What surprised me was how good the prints and sound were in all those extracts on the 800ft reel. Later I spliced all the extracts of Fantasia onto one very full Elmo 1200 foot reel, including the slightly faded print I had of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".

Although I have it on blu-ray, at the moment I do prefer watching Fantasia on Super8 although its not the compete film I am more than happy with what I have got. I think using the "Osram Xenophot" 250 watt lamp on the GS1200 really gives a really nice on screen color image. With good color prints like this, that particular lamp highlights the color even more This reel is great for a chill out evening good music, excellent picture and never having to tweek the focus even slightly, plus its a smooth steady run through the GS1200, I can't ask for more
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	90605
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	90606
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080683.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	90607
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080692.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	90608

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	90609
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080763.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	90610
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080836.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	90611
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080855.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	90612
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	90613

Comment

I've always admired this film. Disney really proved what animation could truly achieve, and at such an early time. I mean, just look at what the other studios were putting out at that time, in comparison. Derann did a good job with this film, and the way that they marketed it was quite smart. I have they're pastoral symphony, but I still have, as of yet, to find a copy of "Bald Mountain/Ave Maria". I don't know if they did this for the blu-ray, but I know that the deluxe laserdisc version had a remastered modern orchestrated soundtrack, and it also included the original "Fantasound" surround sound track. Actually, I think that I am thinking of the special edition DVD.
      Last edited by Osi Osgood; November 14, 2023, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I do remember first seeing it in a cinema but I do not think it was in Fantasound. I think it was probably an RKO version as it was at an ABC cinema. Must have been sometime in the 1940s because I was still at school at the time.

Comment

The Sorcerer's Apprentice was one film, collectors were asking for years.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	fantasia.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	90661

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
            I do remember first seeing it in a cinema but I do not think it was in Fantasound. I think it was probably an RKO version as it was at an ABC cinema. Must have been sometime in the 1940s because I was still at school at the time.
            From stories I remember from reading somewhere, it could not have been in Fantasound as the ship conveying the equipment for that was sunk by a U-boat on the way over the Atlantic.

Comment

Working...
            X