Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35mm Frankenprojector repair. Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35mm Frankenprojector repair. Help wanted!

Hello, I have not been on this forum much yet, but I immediately have a question. I currently have a franken projector at home that has been adapted to work on 220V. Unfortunately the main fuse blows when I switch on the system. The lamps and motor work separately, but when I have switched on all the lamps and then want to activate the motor, the fuse blows. Could anyone help me solve this? I am located in Brussels Belgium. I may also look to buy a 35mm portable projector that can work on 220V if all else fails. We have a lot of 35mm film lying around, but we don't have the opportunity to view it yet. Thank you in advance.

Hi Bart

I am not familiar with your projector, what exactly is the lamp you are using? The reason you are blowing the main fuse is you are drawing to much current "amps" with both running or have a short somewhere. Does the fuse blow when the motor is switched on, with no lamp going? Does the fuse blow with the lamp switched on but the motor still switched off.

You need to determine which one of the two is the one to blow the fuse. If they can both run separate for a while without any problems, then its the combination of both going that's drawing to many amps for the rated fuse you are using.

Its really a matter of going through things, to narrow down as to what is going on. What lamp are you using? For home use I use a Osram HLX64663 36volt 400watt lamp powered by a external transformer. The lamp position is fully adjustable in relation to the mirror, so I can concentrate the light reflected from the mirror to the gate. It works fine, the lamps themselves are cheap to buy and will give you close to 50 hours use.

Bart do you no an electrician that can help you?, that really would be a plus.

Comment

With a name like that there is only one reaction due from Bart when he finally gets that projector fixed - "its alive, its alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        Hi Bart

I am not familiar with your projector, what exactly is the lamp you are using? The reason you are blowing the main fuse is you are drawing to much current "amps" with both running or have a short somewhere. Does the fuse blow when the motor is switched on, with no lamp going? Does the fuse blow with the lamp switched on but the motor still switched off.

You need to determine which one of the two is the one to blow the fuse. If they can both run separate for a while without any problems, then its the combination of both going that's drawing to many amps for the rated fuse you are using.

Its really a matter of going through things, to narrow down as to what is going on. What lamp are you using? For home use I use a Osram HLX64663 36volt 400watt lamp powered by a external transformer. The lamp position is fully adjustable in relation to the mirror, so I can concentrate the light reflected from the mirror to the gate. It works fine, the lamps themselves are cheap to buy and will give you close to 50 hours use.

Bart do you no an electrician that can help you?, that really would be a plus.
        The projection lamp is a 24V Halogen lamp like used in slide projectors. I can use the exciter lamp, the fan and the projection lamp all together. The motor works also on it's own but trips the power when the lamps and fan are on. It does work on 110V but then it runs to slow and doesn't have the power to move the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
          With a name like that there is only one reaction due from Bart when he finally gets that projector fixed - "its alive, its alive!
          Lol, indeed. It should have worked in the past but i'm not sure why it doesn't work at my place. The previous owner who build the franken projector sadly past away so i'm on my own.

Comment

When a circuit becomes overload and starts to trip the breaker off this is an indication that the electrical system should be evaluated and additional circuits should be installed to bring the home up to the current code requirements.
            Source: https://ask-the-electrician.com/why-...trical-repair/

You are going to need an electrician to evaluate the situation. You will probably needed a new dedicated line for the projector rated to carry the load without tripping circuit breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

Source: https://ask-the-electrician.com/why-...trical-repair/

You are going to need an electrician to evaluate the situation. You will probably needed a new dedicated line for the projector rated to carry the load without tripping circuit breakers.
              Indeed, that was recommended to me. A colleague of my brother is an electrician but he is difficult to get hold of. I'll try to get someone to come and find out more.

Comment

Hi!

Some ideas:
                a) Are you able to switch the projector to 230V (or maybe even 240V)?
                (The EU -except for the UK- switched from 220V/50Hz ±13V in 1987 in several steps to 230/50Hz ± 23V in 2009. Most older devices are still working fine despite this change. But e.g. some hardware for 8bit-computers are having problems ever since, e.g. the transformers used in the 1541 (floppy drive of the C=64).)
                b) Is there some dust or corrosion causing a short-circuit?
                c) When everything is working at 110V (despite being too weak): Did you manage to renew the oil/grease? (I had similar problems with a Super8-projector that wasn’t used for 10-20 years: the grease on a central cogwheel turned to stone, causing the projector to jam and some fuses to permanently blow.)

Comment

Working...
                X