X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking help please windows based

My windows 11 pc does see the win 7

But NOT the other way around.

All the basic trouble shooting has been done. Swapping cat 5 cables, etc.

Netgear GS 605 v4 switch box installed. seems OK and this has worked before. The win 7 pc indicator light always amber. The win 11 light is green. This switch box has NO reset button.

I think I have to turn something on at the win 7 pc for this to be restored.

Advice please with thanks.

When the win 7 pc can see the win 11 through networking this will be solved.

When the Win11-PC can see the Win7-PC, but not the other way round, then it‘s an incorrect software setting - most likely on the Win11-PC (as Windows has got several „hide myself from becoming visible in the local network“-settings).
    Other than that there’s a „naming collusion“ (e.g. both PCs labeled „Desktop PC“ in the network). Or Win7 is simply too old to communicate with Win11 (while Win11 is backward compatible to a certain extend).

Comment

Here’s a nice summary of the settings that might be incorrect in Win11:
      https://www.minitool.com/news/window...computers.html

Comment

Thank you very much Joerg. That was quite technical for me. No change but I am still networking 11 to 7. If that's all I can do I'll take it.

Comment

Tuesday update November 28

Issue solved!

Head scratching at best. Discovered "HOME vs PRIVATE to be the naughty switch.

In Windows 7 it is known as HOME / PUBLIC

In Windows 11 it is known as PRIVATE / PUBLIC

Somehow just playing around I figured this out and matched both to HOME / PRIVATE. Which basically means HOME / HOME.

Also found out my Netgear switching device is out of date and no longer supported. So even though it is working - one light is yellow the other is green where both should be green. This device does not have a pinhole reset button.

Anyhow back where I belong. Both computers are seeing each other both directions via cat 5.

cg

Comment

Working...
          X