My Visit to Christchurch New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Visit to Christchurch New Zealand

Early in November I flew to Christchurch New Zealand for the Film Buffs Convention. It was held at The Radio Rooms on Friday night. I was sitting down when Patrick Walsh walked in. I knew what he looked like from his photo on the Forum. I said to him you're Patrick Walsh, I am Edward from Australia, 8mm forum member.
    I have purchased Super 8 Films from him but have never met him. Then they set up items for the auction which would be held on Saturday. We had a Film Show of 16mm shorts to end the night. Before I had left Australia I sent Graham Ritchie an email telling him I would like to meet him.

At the auction there was a 16mm Editor which went for 35.00 NZ Dollars. Patrick had a copy of Dr Who Invasion Earth Tecniccolor 35mm Wide Screen Print, it sold for 45.00 NZ Dollar. I would have brought it but I was worried about the weight being too heavy for my case.

In the afternoon we got on the bus to Mike Pero's Motorcycle Gallery, had afternoon cup of tea biscuits [cookies], cakes & danish. There was also a Flight 737 simulator. the plane I flew over to Christchurch on. It's one of the smallest planes I have ever travel in. At 4 pm, Patrick gave Graham Ritchie a call to ask him can we come over to see him as I've always wanted to meet Graham.

When we got there, I met Graham and his wife. We went inside his cinema. Very nice 35mm, 16mm & Super 8 projectors. We had a talk for an hour and a half. I asked Graham's wife to take a photo of us, 3 Forum members.

I told them about Splice. I had put a link on the Forum and Graham brought a copy. We said our goodbyes. It was lovely to meet Graham and his wife

Patrick and I then drove to The Cashmere Club for Dinner meeting up with the Film Buffs. It was a lovely meal of beef and roast vegetables and ice cream.

On Sunday I met Patrick at the Radio Room, where I brought a 35mm Special Splicer off him and Cir Tape, clear and yellow.

Thank you Patrick and Graham.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	80 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	91903

Also, we had a special guest speaker at the Cashmere Club. He had made a model of a John Logie Baird motor spinning wheel with small black and white TV, screen and speaker.
    It showed images of Gene Kelly doing Singing in The Rain with sound and the picture was small but good.

John Logie Baird describes first television - YouTube

Comment

Edward,

What a fun trip. It's nice to see that you met up with Patrick & Graham. Someday I'll do that 18 hour flight to New Zealand!

Comment

You are always, as with any other forum member are welcome Doug, Its also well worth hiring a camper to look around the place and make a holiday out of it at the same time. In the past the Aussies coning over for past conventions, would hire campers and head of in convoy after the conventions around the South Island. It was a pleasure talking to you Edward and glad you had a good time. I myself will be hitting the 72 years old mark in a couple of weeks, so time is certainly marching on, its going way to fast for me.

Anyway folks NZ is a good destination to visit hope to see you here some day

Comment

I hope you enjoyed your trip Edward, cheers Pat

Comment

How fantastic for you Edward. We did a tour of New Zealand some years ago but this was before I joined the forum. Also visited Christchurch as part of our tour. It was just a couple of years before the earthquake. Visited the museum which had a 35mm projector on display. Vaguely remember seeing a cinema which was probably the one Graham operated.

Comment

Working...
            X