Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readers‘ Digests

Hello!

From time to time, I stumble across prints made for/distributed by „Readers‘ Digests“. I know that company from selling „400ft versions“ of books (=heavily abridged versions of books ). But I didn’t know that they also distributed S8 and even 16mm films?! Did they only do this in the USA - or in all English speaking countries (UK, NZ, …) or maybe even worldwide?! Are there some scanned catalogs available online somewhere?

Thanks and a nice 3rd Advent!
    Jörg

I'm not sure if I have seen these, but I seem to remember some super 8 technicolor cartridges sold on ebay that had illustrated children's books. I wonder if these were part of that series?

Comment

I subscribed to Readers Digest for a number of years from the around 1960 to late 1990s. Never saw any advertisements for films but purchased a number of box sets of LP records and then VHS tapes of films they produced. These were mainly documentaries, but included a set of 4 tapes of Paramount shorts from the early 30s of jazz, Ginger Rogers, and the early Bing Crosby comedy shorts amongst others. There may have been a few other old films from the same period but by then there were a number of other companies advertising films from the many film companies back catalogues. By the time dvds arrived I no longer subscribed.

Comment

In other words: it could be that Readers Digest never distributed any films?? And those people on eBay are in fact only selling random prints they’ve found in generic boxes/cans together with Readers Digest books about the same topic?!

Comment

What about this article on eBay?
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/295193513414
          Is it just a commercial for RD? Or a documentary about RD? Or was it really distributed by RD to its subscribers?

Comment

That one looks like a vintage 1960's TV commercial.

Comment

Joerg,

I agree with Osi. That looks like a very short teaser promoting the sale of the magazine at local supermarkets. As Ken said, the RD company released records, VHS tapes & DVDs so I guess it's possible that they might have done the same with film at some point since their inception in 1922. There may also be 16mm prints around from their episodic drama series that was on TV in the 1950s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RDTV - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	92927

Comment

When I am now searching for „Reader Digest Super8“ on eBay.com or Etsy.com, I am mainly only getting those strange 8-tracks-tapes, but no films?! Very, very strange! I never questioned the sellers’ descriptions as RD later sold VHS tapes and DVDs. (Hence S8 sounded reasonable.)

Comment

-and who more natural to release Digest movies?

I loved these magazines when I was a pre-teen. Once I read too many, got Reader's Indigestion!

Comment

I know down here in NZ we had reader's digest and I know I remember seeing ads in them for Kodak products like super 8 cameras and projectors but not any ads for package films

Comment

The Selfish Giant begins with 'A Readers Digest Presentation' and was distributed by Pyramid. They also produced at least one Laserdisc based on their book Jesus and His times. In the 70's they teamed up with United Artists to make (I think) Tom Sawyer and Hucklebury Finn but I remember them as being dull and dry. They also issued the odd dvd of around 24 old Hollywood films (10 discs). I've never seen any adverts for anything on Super 8.

Comment

This 16mm listing appears to be a Readers Digest film:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285609175...Bk9SR4jPkqqQYw

Comment

I wonder if they sold it or made it as a production company/sponsored it.

Comment

Good eye there! I'm tempted to buy one of those kids books on super 8 in those technicolor cartridges, just to see if they are Readers Digest productions!

Comment

Viewers' Digest then.....!

Comment

Working...
                              X