Letterboxd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letterboxd

No, not the black bands above and below the scope image, the website with movie reviews.

I have stumbled across this site from time to time when searching for reviews of a film. I found an interesting article about the site that is becoming very popular while avoiding all the pitfalls that are killing sites like Facebook.

The monoculture? Dead. Attention spans? Fragmented. Consensus? Nonexistent.

But perhaps one thing upon which the people agree: Everybody is on Letterboxd.

At least, a certain type of everybody is on Letterboxd. A culturally savvy — but not snobby — everybody. Everybody who loves A24 movies and still misses the Dissolve. Everybody who is obsessed with Austin Butler’s commitment to his Elvis voice. Everybody who can recite Nicole Kidman’s AMC Theatres monologue: We come to this place for magic.

Letterboxd is a social network for talking about movies. Users can leave reviews and ratings, keep a diary of what they’ve seen, follow other users and make lists of different types of movies. The service is free, with paid tiers that offer small perks and an ad-free experience. High on the page, reminiscent of MySpace’s Top 8 in the early days of social networking, are slots for users to name their four favorite films — “Four Favorites” being to the Letterboxd community what a person’s sun, moon and rising signs are to those who swear by the zodiac.

Four Favorites are playful yet revealing, where even the snobbiest of cinephiles can save a slot for something silly, or where a person’s private obsessions can be safely made public. Here, “Caddyshack” can sit between “Clueless” and “Casablanca”; “8½” can go beside “10 Things I Hate About You”; “Step Brothers” can move next to “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Paris, Texas.”
    Full article at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/style...d-fans-movies/

The article noted that:

Letterboxd had just welcomed its newest member: an up-and-coming filmmaker named Martin Scorsese, who shared an official watch list of 59 films he drew on for his latest epic, “Killers of the Flower Moon,” and swiftly gained some 280,000 followers.
    Aside from that "up-and-coming filmmaker", are there any members for our 8mm forum who also frequent Letterboxd?

Perhaps Letterboxd’s individualistic energy can be attributed to the fact that it was hatched not in Silicon Valley or Hollywood but in New Zealand, where everything is a bit out of step with the rest of the world (for instance: it’s usually already tomorrow there), by Matthew Buchanan and Karl von Randow, entrepreneurs who started as web designers. One of their early efforts was a pre-YouTube service where New Zealand filmmakers could have their digital tapes transferred and shared free online. They launched Letterboxd in 2011, pulling key information about the movies not from IMDb (Internet Movie Database), whose application programming interface was prohibitively expensive, but TMDB (simply: The Movie Database), a crowdsourced alternative.
Working...
X