Christmas Films ... Bah Humbug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Films ... Bah Humbug!

On the television show, "Inside Edition", they were giving the top ten Christmas Films, according to some internet website, and the top ten films were all from 1985 on up to today, and some of them weren't even Christmas Films per se, just films that happen to take place at Christmas time, like "Die Hard". The top one on their list was "Home Alone". I am guessing that this list was compiled by people who seem to think that if something happened before they were born, it either doesn't count or doesn't exist? Not one version of "A Christmas Carol" or " It's A Wonderful Life"? No "Holiday Inn"? No " White Christmas "? Bah! Humbug!

That seems strange because all the old films you mentioned are scheduled to be shown on one or other of the hundreds of satellite or internet tv channels available here. Some more than once!!! It seems to me that some tv programmes are not very good at researching on your side of the pond.

Comment

There is no over the air TV available at the North Pole. I wonder if Santa has satellite? I am pretty sure he has a projector, since I got one from him when I was no taller than a length of super 8 leader.

Regardless, it might be a blessing. We have some radio stations here that start play Christmas music 7x24 the day after Thanksgiving, and don't stop until New Years day...

Comment

Ken Finch do you watch the Talking Pictures TV channel ? If you don't i am sure you would like it .

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
          There is no over the air TV available at the North Pole. I wonder if Santa has satellite? I am pretty sure he has a projector, since I got one from him when I was no taller than a length of super 8 leader.

Regardless, it might be a blessing. We have some radio stations here that start play Christmas music 7x24 the day after Thanksgiving, and don't stop until New Years day...
          I'm not sure that broadcast TV satellites cover there either. They do have a restricted area of coverage, mainly to keep the signal strength high, also for rights reasons originally. When they re-aligned a UK only satellite a lot of ex-pats in Spain complained they could no longer receive their favourite UK only channels!

Comment

Yes David, I do sometimes watch Talking Pictures TV. They are part of the Renown Pictures set up having the rights to lots of older films which they have made available on dvd. They include both 1935 and 1951 versions of Dickens, Christmas Carol. The former was transmitted on their tv channel this week. aI have the 9.5mm sound version which I have often screened at Christmas.

Comment

I noticed a couple of days ago that “It’s a Wonderful Life” is apparently the favourite Christmas Film in the U.K. So much so that some of the small independent cinemas, including our local, Kavanagh, are screening it this week. Now that all our offspring have flown the nest and have children of their own, there will be no opportunity to use my own home cinema until the new year.

Comment

It's A wonderful Life is such a great "Slice of Life" type of film, and though some derided it by calling it "Capra-corn", it's a lot more hard hitting than most films relating to Christmas. It was one of the first films where the "bad guy" ( Mr Potter ), does evil and unlike nearly any film back then, he doesn't get his comeuppance. Justice doesn't prevail. What does prevail, is the simple but majestic goodness of humanity, in the end. It appeals to humanity to uplift what goodness humanity is capable of on it's best days

Comment

Working...
                X