Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is this movie really going to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is this movie really going to start?

When is this movie really going to start? I’ve been here half an hour.

By Richard Zoglin, Washington Post
    December 27, 2023 at 5:45 a.m. EST

It took me a few weeks to get out to see the new Martin Scorsese film, “Killers of the Flower Moon”; the running time of three hours and 26 minutes was pretty daunting. Still, on a recent weeknight, I trekked to my local multiplex in New York City for an 8:30 p.m. showing. Since I knew it would be a long evening, I made sure to arrive a few minutes late, to miss some of the pre-show ads and trailers.

Not late enough. I still had to sit through several minutes of previews and AMC Theatres promotions, before Leonardo DiCaprio finally appeared on the screen. But not in the movie ­— he was interviewing Scorsese about the historical background of the film, which recounts the organized murders of Osage tribe members in 1920s Oklahoma. After three or four minutes of their gab, the theater finally darkened, and the film seemed ready to start. But wait — there was Scorsese again, addressing the audience to say, once more, how honored he was to “tell this powerful historical story in the most authentic way possible.” By the time the movie dawdled onto the screen, a three-hour-26-minute film had ballooned into a nearly four-hour evening.

Scorsese is one of many filmmakers and critics who have campaigned for seeing movies the old-fashioned way — on the big screen in theaters, rather than through streaming services at home. But I wonder how many of these film lovers (who generally see movies in a comfy screening room, where they start on time and no one has to sit through ads for PlayStation) have actually been to a movie theater lately. It has become a grueling experience.

Set aside the $10 bags of popcorn and the confusing array of projection formats — Imax, 4DX, Dolby — that can boost the ticket price to $25 or more. And I’m not complaining about audience members who talk and scan their cellphones during the movie; complaints about unruly patrons date back to the days when people used to read the title cards aloud in silent films. No, it’s the bloated running times of so many current films and the expanding pre-show folderol that have turned moviegoing into an endurance test.

There once was a time (it now seems quaint to recall) when you had to go to Europe to see commercials in a movie theater; American movie houses were blessedly free of them. Not anymore. On another trip to the multiplex, to see Ridley Scott’s “Napoleon” (which weighs in at a relatively compact two hours and 38 minutes), I counted a dozen commercials, for everything from Hyundai to M&M’s, before the Regal voice of God told us to silence our cellphones and “enjoy the show” — after which came another slew of ads, for various Pepsi drinks; six trailers for upcoming movies (because where better than a screening of “Napoleon” to look for fans of “Drive-Away Dolls” and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom”?); and a pitch for the Regal Unlimited subscription plan. Thirty minutes in hard-sell captivity before the movie finally started.

Don’t get me wrong: I love going to the movies. After the pandemic, I returned to the theaters much sooner than most of my friends. But it’s becoming harder to justify that ordeal at the multiplex, rather than waiting a few weeks for the film to show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Watching a movie on the big screen can be absorbing, even thrilling. But it’s not a religious experience. My blood pressure spikes every time I see those platform heels stepping through a puddle on the way to a movie theater — the opening of Nicole Kidman’s inescapable promotional spot for AMC Theatres.

“We come to this place … for magic,” she intones reverently, as she settles into a seat in a deserted theater, stares beatifically up at the screen and rhapsodizes about “that indescribable feeling we get when the lights begin to dim. … Somehow heartbreak feels good in a place like this.” AMC began running the spot two years ago, to encourage people to return to theaters after the pandemic. By now it’s the most grating commercial pitch this side of the Kars4Kids jingle.

In an industry that takes itself so seriously, it’s perhaps not surprising that directors have been allowed to let their films run on and on. The average length of the top 10 grossing films of 2023 was two hours and 23 minutes — almost 30 minutes longer than in 2020. When some theaters tried inserting an intermission into their screenings of “Killers of the Flower Moon,” the film’s producer and distributor forced them to stop, and Scorsese has fiercely defended the film’s length. Fine, Marty, you tell us where the best moment is to leave for a bathroom break.

I appreciate the nostalgia that Scorsese and other filmmakers feel for the old days, when going to the movies was a weekly habit. But it ignores how films have changed. They used to clock in at 90 minutes or less, and any preliminaries were added value — a Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry cartoon — not a commercial bombardment that both exhausts the audience and demeans the experience.

For an industry trying to lure people away from their home screens and back into theaters, a little restraint might be in order. If not a self-imposed limit on the number of pre-show ads and trailers, at least full disclosure in the listings of the film’s actual start time. After all, to reiterate the obvious, we come to this place … for movies.​
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ience-waiting/

Last edited by Ed Gordon; December 27, 2023, 12:53 PM.

Very good article. You sometimes cannot get away with that with DVD's and blu-ray either, as the little jerks will place ten or more minutes of commercials B4 you can actually watch the film, and the cleverest of these arses, make it so you can't jump past them! Grrr! What's next? Have a sub program on your DVD or blu-ray, that will automatically pause your film, to run a bloody commercial in the midst of your viewing pleasure? "This film, "The Running Man", is sponsored by Sunsweet Prune Juice!"

Comment

Am I right in thinking that was one big advantage of Laser disk. When you pressed play, it just played the movie. No adverts, copyright warnings, menu's etc.

Graham S

Comment

If you want to avoid unwanted content when viewing videos just setup a media server and copy the media to it. You can then bypass everything, including menus if you want. That's the advantage we have always had with film; you can build your own show, with or without content you choose. You can't do that with video tapes, DVD, Bluray, or UHD discs.

Comment

I have been told that you can play with a computer using a media player that will allow you to avoid the menu and "unskipable" parts. I have played the variou VOB files on one burnt dvd that had problems with some chapters.

Comment

I feel partly the magic went when film projection stopped, that's not to say I wont go to see a movie, but the visits are nothing like what we did years ago. Talking about all that stuff on front of a film. I remember once when folk arriving to watch a film, almost 20 minutes after the start time were surprised to find it had already started. They had been used to going to the multi-plex down the road and never to our place. I told them we keep to roughly no more than 5 minutes of ads, followed by 3 trailers, and that's it all up. Time wise 10-11 minutes in front of a feature. Advertising is certainly worth quite bit of money to the cinema, but you have to be careful not to put people of coming back by overdoing it.

Another thing I notice these days is the sound level during those ads and trailers, they crank it up, but the big downer for me, is that if the feature is in Scope the top masking comes down, the end result is, the ads you just watched are larger on the screen than the feature itself. Presentation really has been gone for a while now, along with the quality of many of movies shown. I used to keep an eye out what is screening at our local, but these days I don't bother, those days for us are now gone. When you look back, "Intermissions" were a must not just giving you a break, but selling ice creams and the like, that's where cinemas also made money out of those breaks. It was something we were were going to do more of on long films had the place continued. We had "Intermissions" on all the David Lean films, likewise our local did an Intermission with the Digital presentation of "The Sound Of Music" that worked out well as that screening had been sold out.

In many ways its down to the cinema owners, they could do a lot more if they really wanted to, but its up to them to make the effort.

Comment

That reminds me of when I went to the firts show of the afternoon at the ABC screen three in Streatham, sadly long closed. I sat down in a near empty suditiorium just before the prgramme start time. Nothing happened. Shortly after the projectionist appeared and said he had started at the time for another screen and we could go back outsie until the actual film start time. I assume the whole programme, adverts, trailers and feature had been put on one platter and he could not go back and reshow the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                I have been told that you can play with a computer using a media player that will allow you to avoid the menu and "unskipable" parts. I have played the variou VOB files on one burnt dvd that had problems with some chapters.
                Brian, if you are trying to copy your DVD to a computer, try Makemkv. It will copy the main movie and all extras to separate files. As for players, try Plex (which does not play DVD at all) or JRiver (which plays everything) or VLC (a universal player, but it will not lookup metadata for your collection like JRiver and Plex do).

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                I feel partly the magic went when film projection stopped, that's not to say I wont go to see a movie, but the visits are nothing like what we did years ago. Talking about all that stuff on front of a film. I remember once when folk arriving to watch a film, almost 20 minutes after the start time were surprised to find it had already started. They had been used to going to the multi-plex down the road and never to our place. I told them we keep to roughly no more than 5 minutes of ads, followed by 3 trailers, and that's it all up. Time wise 10-11 minutes in front of a feature. Advertising is certainly worth quite bit of money to the cinema, but you have to be careful not to put people of coming back by overdoing it.

Another thing I notice these days is the sound level during those ads and trailers, they crank it up, but the big downer for me, is that if the feature is in Scope the top masking comes down, the end result is, the ads you just watched are larger on the screen than the feature itself. Presentation really has been gone for a while now, along with the quality of many of movies shown. I used to keep an eye out what is screening at our local, but these days I don't bother, those days for us are now gone. When you look back, "Intermissions" were a must not just giving you a break, but selling ice creams and the like, that's where cinemas also made money out of those breaks. It was something we were were going to do more of on long films had the place continued. We had "Intermissions" on all the David Lean films, likewise our local did an Intermission with the Digital presentation of "The Sound Of Music" that worked out well as that screening had been sold out.

In many ways its down to the cinema owners, they could do a lot more if they really wanted to, but its up to them to make the effort.
                Graham, you hit the nail on the head. Cinema owners don't seem to care anymore. NATO should be working to set minimum standards for presentation. They should also be working to give theater owners a larger piece of the pie. Cinemas should not have to sell food to break even, or trash the cinema experience with countless commercials. I was shocked to read that some cinema managers will actually delay the start of the film if the concession stand is still busy selling over-priced snacks.​

Comment

I used to do the weekly programme which included the time allowed for ads and trailers, plus 15 minutes for cleaning between sessions. Everything had to start on time, people do expect it.

An example of the tail end of the school holidays up to the 24th, it used to take me ages to put together while projecting at the same time.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140800.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	93361
                  A bit of history of the place

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                    I used to do the weekly programme which included the time allowed for ads and trailers, plus 15 minutes for cleaning between sessions. Everything had to start on time, people do expect it.
                    Were you able to keep that schedule? I have read about cinemas that would tell customers "that show starts at 1:00pm, give or take 20 minutes".

In today's cinemas, the professional projectionist has been replaced by minimally qualified staff who are trained on how to push the Start button. It seems to me that the art of showmanship was lost when digital replaced film, and the projectionists retired or moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

Brian, if you are trying to copy your DVD to a computer, try Makemkv. It will copy the main movie and all extras to separate files. As for players, try Plex (which does not play DVD at all) or JRiver (which plays everything) or VLC (a universal player, but it will not lookup metadata for your collection like JRiver and Plex do).
                      Not copying just playing it with Widows Media Player or similar. (VLC?)

Comment

Hi Ed

I would never tell customers that, sessions had to start on the dot, you could see from upstairs that sometimes folk would check there watches. The only time we might hold back starting, is when, say during the school holidays things were getting tight downstairs. I tried as much as possible to stagger the start and finish times of each cinema so that would help the staff out with cleaning etc. Also we don't want people to skip buying something because of a long queue. Even holding back, that would be no more than 5 minutes as we did not want any delay later on.

I should add that with evening private screenings which were usually the last for the night, we could hold back starting until they were ready, usually the projectionist would would go down and chat to the folk running the private, say along the lines let us know when you would like us to start, that kind of thing, as they might have speeches or prize giving, so it was no big deal to wait until they were ready. The girls downstairs would usually be told first and phone us upstairs "they are ready to go".

It reminds me of a funny story when our young part timer arrived after school. I said you have a private tonight, go downstairs and make sure they are ready before you press that start button. Anyway it wasn't until the next night when he turned up. I asked how did it go last night?. I did what you said and went downstairs, a lady came up to him and asked if he was lost and looking for his parentshis reply was that he was the projectionist, they will know the next time he said. The manager and myself had a good chuckle over that one..

The cinema would never have survived covid so its just as well they pulled the plug on the place when the mall owners did, money wise at the time we were doing very well, it was good while it lasted, but at the end of 2011 it really was time to go, along with the Bauer U4 as my farewell gift. That's another projector that needs to go to the Ferrymead Heritage Park as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X