The Cowboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cowboys

Well coming across this brand new double LP of John Williams score was a real surprise at our local JB Hi Fi store the other day. To be honest I wasn't thinking the recording was going to be as good as it turned out to be. This Deluxe Edition by Warner Bros vaulted 3-track masters were transferred in high resolution and fully remixed, assembled, mastered, and approved by the composer. I think the total playing time of both LPs is about 74 minutes.

For fans of film music, the quality of clarity and depth of the recording is very impressive and a must have to add to any film music collection. I listened to both gold vinyl LPs yesterday. John Williams complete score is a pleasure to listen to.

After that, well I must watch the blu-ray, hard to imagine the film was released way back in 1972, it has stood the test of time really well, and as such have include a couple of screen shots as well, pity it never made it to a Super 8 Scope release, even as a "good color" 600ft Scope digest, that would have been something .

Anyway folks if you come across this double gold LP grab it, you wont be disappointed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	93450
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	93451

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350142.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	93452
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	93453
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	93454
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	93455
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350215.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	93456
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	93457
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350248.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	93458

At the time, it was fairly controversial, for a Duke film. Someone shooting the Duke the in the back and killing him? Bruce Dern said later that he had death threats, off all things. He was hayed for that. Arents groups highly objected to the young cowboys, getting bloody retribution for they're "Cowboy Father", sending the wrong message. In truth, it was an above average Wayne film, though I do personally prefer "Big Jake".

Comment

Grahame, a great film I have it on dvd but haven’t watched it in years. The reason is, and I know it’s only a film, that I find it very unpleasant when Bruce Dern is threatening the boys, it’s very unsettling to me to watch an adult threatening kids.

On another note John Wayne’s mother wouldn’t watch The Alamo because John Wayne dies in it. I don’t think she would have liked The Cowboys.

Comment

Working...
      X