• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurel & Hardy Year One Blu Ray

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	94354 Nice high definition release on Blu ray of 1927 releases from Laurel & Hardy . 13 short titles including virtually complete Battle of the Century and Duck Soup which was later remade as Another Fine Mess.

Price £36.00 . Easier to buy from Flicker Alley but Amazon also sell. Loads of extras. You can’t really fault material they have actually restored it to pristine. Let hope their are further releases.

Blackhawk a name from the past have been involved in this restoration work.

https://beauchumps.wordpress.com/202...-a-new-bluray/

I thought Blackhawk Films went out of business years ago. Looks like they are mostly (if not all) digital now.

Our Collection holds more than 5000+ titles. Features, Shorts, Documentaries, Early Cinema, Cartoons, Hollywood Classics, European, American and more! Most are availabale in HD, 2K or 4K. We provide special pricing adapted to your audience and your venue.
    https://www.fpa-blackhawk.com/collec...ening-licences

Comment

I thought so too Ed but they seem to have sourced some of the original material from them and their logo is widely used and displayed on the packaging and discs.

Comment

Isn't that wonderful? Blackhawk Collector Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Caruso View Post
          Isn't that wonderful? Blackhawk Collector Shorty
          From the set.

In this set, we have 315 minutes of footage which has been lovingly pulled together by Serge Bromberg and Eric Lange and restored by Eric himself with Solenne Bec, Jospehine Paris, Colin Ruffiun and Juliette Sheigam. Lobster Films, The Library of Congess and Blackhawk Films, who hold the copyright to these restored versions, helped facilitate the release by Flicker Alley.

Comment

Speaking of Laurel and Hardy and Blackhawk, I was messing with my silents collection and came across my two versions of "Big Business", both by Blackhawk, but the later print was taken from a UK edition, so I had the fun of taking my two versions, projecting them side by side with two of my projectors and enjoying the different angles and takes between the two versions.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1452.jpg Views:	3 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	94447 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4422.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	94445 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	94446 Does the UK version of Big Business have the Blackhawk titles and are both identical and silent.? I have a full length version with a musical soundtrack. Derann also issued a LPP print with an awful piano track that most collectors re recorded with Laurel & Hardy music. Arrow also issued an edited 200ft version with nice artwork. Walton also issued an edited 200ft version.

Comment

The sound version I have has the complete film, with complete intro credits but seems to be printed a little light. The silent version is printed darker, and has much better image quality, but had that strange "copper dots" ( or breakdown of the emulsion ) here and there, but in both cases, all the title cards are original to the film. The silent version, an earlier version from Blackhawk, has those couple of pages of intro info, which the sound one doesn't have.

Comment

I didn’t know that a full length version exists on S8, too. All the S8-versions I have seen so far start when L&H meet Mr. Finlayson.

Comment

Hi Joerg

Yes , the full length version start with them travelling down the road and encountering their 1st female customer before arriving at Jimmys.

Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	94473 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	94474

Comment

The fun thing is seeing the different camera angles and such. It is shot by shot the same film from the UK, but the different camera angles and such make it an interesting curio. I honestly don't have the time, but someone with a YouTube account could put up both versions side by side, for an interesting video for fans.

Comment

I wouldn’t be surprised in the early movies the camera is quite static and there are obvious continuity goofs. Even in sound releases you have different shots and angles as they filmed various versions for foreign market in Spanish , French and German. I love the stray dogs that magically appear in their filming Hog Wild being an example. Maybe that’s why they thought of Laughing Gravy.

Comment

Working...
                        X