Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for article ...

Hey everybody!

I am writing a series of articles of the Max Fleischer Films, Betty Boop, Popeye, the two feature films "Gulliver" and "Hoppity", and while I have these pretty much written, I don't know everything and so, could folks write in here about what super 8 companies released the different series of films?

I know of, of course, Blackhawk, Derann, DeMaio Films, Atlas Films, NTA Films (that goes way back), as well as Niles Films, but I'd love some other info about other companies that released these great cartoons as well.

Also, if you would happen to have any screenshots, those would be appreciated as well. If you do, please e-mail me at ...

CXOSIR1@outlook.com

... as, if you put them on here, i won't be able to download them.

Osi Film Office in France distributed many Popeye cartoons on Super 8, but of course, changed the titles to French, but these were not a true translation of the original titles.

Comment

This 1980 Film Office catalogue shows the Popeye releases available at that time : http://www.super8rezensionen.de/k-filmoffice_1.htm

This catalogue may also interest you, although the Popeye cartoons are listed as 45 mt/150 ft and 15 mt/50 ft versions and it seems that Gulliver was only available as two extracts from that company (IE) : http://www.super8rezensionen.de/k-ie_01.htm
      Last edited by Dominique De Bast; May 09, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I should have been more specific. I was referring to specifically Max Fleischer cartoons. When it come to Popeye, only the black and white 1930's cartoons, with the exception of the three 400ft color specials, of course.

Comment

I know it's not Super 8, but Pathescope issued many Fleischer Betty Boop and Popeye black & white cartoons in silent and sound versions.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Maurice but yes, I am dealing with just the history of Max Fleischer and super 8.

Does anybody know as to whether these two caroons were released on super 8 blak and white sound?

Snow White
            Minnie The Moocher
            I'll be Glad When You're dead you rascal you

Comment

Osi I have Snow White, Minnie The Moocher with poor little Bimbo and Parade of the wooden soldiers. Printed on colour film stock with colour change but no more following 'the treatment'. Sweet cartoon that Moocher. Oh and also have No No a thousand times no on S8 which was also my first 9.5 sound film ever.

Collectors Club did Goonland, BB Rise to Fame and I never changes my Altitude on B&W stock.

Will get some screen shots emailed over to you next week.

The majority of my S8 Fleisher stuff have two sound tracks. Laserdisc on main and 9.5mm optical track on balance which I re record.

Comment

Collectors club! I had forgotten about that company! I had wondered who printed "Betty Boops Rise to Fame"! That one has an unintentional flub in it, one of the stars that Betty does impersonations of is a woman, in the long shot and close-ups her name is misspelled!

Comment

I have a feeling that Movieland International in Cornwall continued producing Goonland and maybe others of Popeye. I assume from the Collectors Club negatives.

Comment

Working...
                  X