Gladiator re-visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladiator re-visited

Its been a long while since I have watched this movie, many years in fact. a couple of nights ago I sat down and watched the 155 min blu-ray theatrical version on the VP. What came to mind that its almost 20 years since I screened it at the cinema, yikes where did to those last 20 years go? I still have the cinema paperwork records of the hundreds of 35mm prints that went through the place. Well I found Gladiator in the paper work, the print arrived July 2000 and have record of where it went to after we finished with it. I wonder if they still have it mmmmmm. you never know

Anyway I do remember arriving at the cinema one morning to find the film had finished in cinema one the night before, and had to lift it off and move it to the cinema two platter for the 10am session. The problem was I needed a hand as it was a large film to move around. The only other staff member that morning was the cashier and she had a bad back. So her idea was to recruit a couple of school kids playing on the machines, although they should have been at school and not hanging around at the cinema. However I was stuck, so with there help we moved the film. The kids were amazed at the projection room and what was involved in its running. After all this, I led them downstairs, and suggested to the cashier, why not give them free tickets to that 10am session of Gladiator which they gladly took the offer up, I guess it was better than going to school.

Fast forward almost 10 years, when one night I went out to get my car down the road to move it closer to the cinema for a quick getaway near midnight. When I went out through the exit, there were a couple of youths hanging around on the stairs, as I went past, one of them said to me do you remember us?. I could not, until one said we gave you a hand to move that film. Then the penny dropped, I said did you enjoy the film...they did.

Its funny to think what people still remember after all those years, so that's my connection to Gladiator and the help I needed that morning to move it.

PS Its still a good movie, even after 20 years, it has stood the test of time really well ...now where is that film print

Thanks for sharing, Graham. Gladiator is one of my absolute favorites. I wish I could've seen a print, but I do have a special connection to this film: In my teens, when I became an enthusiastic student of movie-making, I used to go to a website frequently to read free screenplays. Gladiator has the distinction of being the first script I ever read before seeing the movie. It was a movie I had already been interested in, after seeing the trailer. The point of it was to imagine what this film could be like based on the read, but never could I have imagined it would be such a powerful and magical film. It was an experience I'll never forget. Hans Zimmer's and Lisa Gerrard's music is the brilliant finishing touch that gives this film such emotion.

Comment

Working...
    X