Classic "Star Wars" is coming back May 4th
    at Sun Theatre, Melbourne, VIC.

https://suntheatre.com.au/wp-cinema/...GINAL+TRILOGY/

and Ritz Cinema, Sydney, NSW.

https://www.ritzcinemas.com.au/event...rathon-weekend

May the Forth now at IMAX cinemas too.

https://imaxmelbourne.com.au/movie/s...om-menace-1999

Comment

Yep! We be watching at least one of the Star Wars films on Saturday! That's a given! I know that for a lot of young people today, they may enjoy Star Wars on a surface level as just one of the many things that make they're life complete, but there was a day, back in the summer of 77, when there was nothing else out there like it, and while science fiction was nothing new in 77, Star Wars, with it's breathless presentation and mythos, was something truly new to audiences, in a way that not just young people got into, but most age groups really got into. Really, you had to be there to have really experienced it for yourself, much like Beatlemania

Comment

Very true, Osi. After Star Wars opened on May 25, it was the main topic of conversation for the entire summer. I remember hearing people on subways & buses discussing it. To me, Jaws & Star Wars are the two films that had the biggest impact on popular culture. I'll never forget seeing it in 70mm at the Loews Astor Plaza in Times Square. Star Wars stayed at that theatre for a total of 61 weeks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	100173 Click image for larger version  Name:	6568.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.9 KB ID:	100174

Comment

I agree Doug, "Star Wars" and "JAWS" were the big ones during the 1970s We saw "Star Wars" while on holiday up in Nelson , couldn't' get near it at the cinema back home, it was always booked out. However "JAWS" was a different story, to date I have never again, been in a cinema along with eleven hundred were getting scared out there wits that night at the cinema. Even to this day my brain is still wired to make me jump at that severed head scene. To avoid it these days I cover my eyes.

One of the "Star Wars" films next month to once again hit the screens here is "The Phantom Menace". The Pod Race was a excellent release in Super8 Scope, add the Super8 Scope trailer on front gives it a extra touch. "The Pod Race" on Super8 is really excellent. The mono sound is also very good as well, its a great way to show of Super8 in Scope While cinemas here will be running the digital version I will again run the 35mm print at the same time on the Ernemann 2, its already on the platter .

I must run the Super8 Scope of "The Pod Race" as well

Click image for larger version

Name:	phantom menace.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	100181

Name:	phantom menace-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	100182
          The last screening of it....

Name:	P1160088.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	100183

Name:	P1150999.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	100184

Name:	P1160024.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	100185

Name:	P1160027.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	100186

Name:	P1160066.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	100187
          On Super8......

Name:	P1140697.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	100188

Name:	P1140701.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	100189

Name:	P1140708.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	100190

Comment

PS...Which version do you like?

Comment

It's interesting that after the original release of the Phantom Menace, both theatrical and DVD, the rerelease of it on blu-ray, Lucas changed the "puppet Yoda", to "CGI Yoda".

Comment

I remember going to one of the larger venues in Seattle to see some movie, and they showed the preview for Star Wars. I thought it looked promising so I came back the next week to see it at a sparsely attended matinee. I told friends about it, and they were interested so I went with them to see it a second time. Too late! the word was out, and there was a line down the block waiting to see the next showing in a few hours.

During the pandemic I re-watched the entire series starting with Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace​. I had forgotten just how bad that one was. Was it just me? No, according to Rotten Tomatoes Episode I is second to last in popularity at 52%. Coming in last was Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)​ at 19%. The original series has held up well, but the prequels have never matched the original. See: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...movies-ranked/ for the full list.

Comment

I saw the original on 35mm and from the print in that cinema I thought it wasn't too, good pale and overcontrasty, so I went uptown and watched a 70mm print, which was MUCH better.

Comment

Talk about changing things what do you think of this version of 2001

Comment

Im in my early to mid 30s now, so I was pretty much the prime audience as the prequels came out and I still enjoy Phantom Menace pretty well for a fun gallop. I'll always prefer the OG trilogy, but I have a great time with Phantom Menace/ROTS as well. Plus, I still think PM has the best lightsaber battle in the whole series.

Comment

did anyone see it in 3d

Comment

And tomorrow I'll be putting a jar of Helmans in my kitchen sink

sinko d mayo .......

Comment

I just watched my horribly faded to red print of a 400’ Star Wars digest. Still fun to watch though. The sound is still fairly decent, so there’s that. 🙄

Now that I’ve unburied my favorite projector and a few movies after my move, I may watch my horribly faded version of Grease next. 😂

Comment

Happy „Star Wars Day“!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X