Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 16mm/Super8 Basement Screening Room

Hey all!

My name's Austin Snell and I'm an indie filmmaker from Lawrence, KS. I'm here because I LOVE 16mm. Compared to some of the amazing screening spaces you all have set up, I'm definitely a novice. But here is what I've managed to put together after getting into this hobby about a year ago...

My basement is pretty long and there is no diving wall between the projectors and the seating area. That screen is 8'8" wide. I've been using a Kodak Pageant and love it dearly. Having immediate access to the film path is a weight off my mind when you consider how much prints cost. It's never come close to doing me wrong yet. But as I said before, I'm a newbie...

The only tricky part was figuring out how to do an audio-out signal with the pageant's 3/16" jack. But I was able to piece together a cable/line level solution and run into my Rockwell amp. Super8 runs through that too. Speakers up from are Yamaha NS-6490 bookshelf speakers, and they sound great for a concrete basement. Super8 projector is a Sankyo ST-800 which is finicky with older films but works perfectly otherwise.

Rewind table and mini-fridge for cold storing musty prints are in the back by the projectors. I have a print of The 400 Blows on 16mm with an english dub that smelled faintly of vinegar. So I got this situation set up to try to extend it's life as best i could.

Then there's the film collection itself. I don't have a massive collection, but I love all the titles I have. Every friday my wife and I watch a feature and use our popcorn machine (not pictured). Next week we will be watching my newly acquired scope UK LPP print of "Supergirl" (1984).

Austin,

That's a very nice setup you have. As a New York apartment dweller, I've wished I had a basement (or garage, or backyard) many times. I'm glad you have a print of Ghidrah in your super 8 collection. That was my favorite when I first started collecting.

Doug

Comment

Thanks Doug! Ghidrah is fun, I'm a die-hard Godzilla fan (have a TOHO tattoo on my left forearm). But the crown jewel of my kaiju collection is my german digest of Terror of Mechagodzilla (the box is labeled King Kong - Godzilla...Im assuming "king kong" was just a catch-all title for anything kaiju related in Germany?). The color on that one is immaculate.

Someday I will get my hands on a 16mm feature of a Godzilla movie. Someday...

Comment

Well done Austin I love your projector stand and after 50 years I eventually got round to making my own as well
        Bide your time film wants to eventually turn up. I was looking for a 16mm print of Secret Partner Stew Granger and found a print at a collectors event 30 years of looking and in the same year found another!

Comment

Very Nice!!

Comment

Very nice setup. When you eventually get to the point where you have several hundred feature, you will know that your hobby has taken over your life.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure I'll get there someday, Mitchell 😅

Comment

Nice work Austin!

Comment

Thanks, ross! Your setup is very cool as well

Comment

Working...
                  X