New sound system: Soundbar with Subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sound system: Soundbar with Subwoofer

I first want to give kudos to Steve Klare and my son Darrin for making this sound system transition a success. My son had been bugging me for ages to get a better sound system than my two small guitar amps. However I just didn't know how to do that. Last week we were at Costco and he convinced me to buy a Vizio soundbar. Darrin connected it to my digital projector but I wanted to have it also work with my film projectors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_203953400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	39085

I contacted Steve Klare since I knew he had his projectors using external speakers for sound. He sent me a photo on how to plug the projectors into a small mixer and have it output a mono signal to both channels. I used practically every plug adapter I had to end up with the correct size plugs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_204419875.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	39086

I now had an output cable from my film projectors and an output cable from my digital projector that I could connect to the AUX input on the soundbar , but I would have to manually plug and unplug each to switch the input...not something I wanted to do. So I found an A/B switch on Amazon (more adapters needed) to do the job.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_204526059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	39087

It's working great and the soundbar and subwoofer really improves the sound for both the digital and film viewing. My little guitar amps did me well all these years...but it was time to upgrade. I'm going to buy new cords with the proper connection plugs and eliminate as many adapters as I can. Also some cable management is desperately needed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_204159731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.0 KB ID:	39088
    I also discovered I could use my Roku remote to control the volume of my sound bar. This is very cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_215450672.jpg Views:	8 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	39092

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210726_204238807.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	39089
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; July 27, 2021, 12:17 AM.

Good Work, Janice!

These sound systems are wonderful, organic creatures that grow and adapt to fit different jobs and times, and never have a schematic! There is always a box of random cables and adapters somewhere.

A couple of months ago, we had friends over. Their daughter was going to be in a dance competition shown over the 'Net. I offered to put it on my big screen. Earlier, we stood the cinema down for company, so my son and I had to scramble to quickly come back up. The picture required a laptop, an HDMI adapter, and the VP. The sound system was my full cinema sound system. What's funny is this means the last piece that had to be added in was an Elmo ST-800 (sound off, arms folded): my sound system started from a single sound projector and without it, there would be no ground connection!

Comment

Excellent bit of teamwork

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
        Excellent bit of teamwork
        Absolutely Lee! I totally love the new clean sound. Both the 16 mm and super 8 projectors have very Little hum or hiss. I watched "The Goodbye Girl" last night and the sound was better than ever. The team effort really paid off.

Comment

Working...
        X