My Visit to Chip Gelmini's Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Visit to Chip Gelmini's Cinema

Yesterday my grandson and I drove over to the west side of Florida to check out Chip Gelmini’s home cinema near Brooksville. Chip lives in a gated community atop a hill, and after the frenetic pace of life in Orlando, Chip’s residential area seemed very peaceful, quiet, and laid back.
    Chip greeted us when we entered his driveway, and immediately took us into his main cinema (he has others in the house!) where he has set up two Elmo GS1200’S, projecting on to an 8ft wide Cinemascope screen. The screen is acoustically transparent so that Chip is able to put his main front speakers vertically centered, and hidden, behind the matt white screen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0534.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	71739
    The two Elmo’s are mounted with Chip’s own design ‘Tower’ arrangement, where the feed and take up spools are mounted away from the projector on separate shafts, the take up shaft being motor powered through a slipping clutch. This totally removes all torque loads from the projector motors, enabling Chip to use very large reel sizes when he needs to. He has also mounted a 35mm Kelmar film cleaning/lubricating system into the feed path of the film.
    Chip gave us a demonstration of his ‘change over’ apparatus which is designed to provide a seamless professional on screen transition between reel changes on the two Elmo’s, and also his Panasonic digital projector, at the push of a button.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0537 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	71742
    The cinema’s sound system is powered though a Marantz AVS amplifier, which is a really high end piece of equipment, probably capable of destroying his house! And it shows. My grandson and I were amazed at the cinema like quality of the sound system. Chip ran a super 8 scope reel from Matrix and the depth and clarity of the sound, which seemed to be coming in all directions, was really superb. Just impossible to believe it was all coming from that tiny S8 stripe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0536 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	71740

Clearly Chip has achieved his goal of providing a professional level cinema experience in his home. He has a small circle of friends in his community who enjoy regular shows at his cinema. One of the highlights was his recent showing of Titanic, the starting of which was precisely timed so that the ship went down on the screen at exactly the same time as it actually happened. Now that’s what you call showmanship!
    Like most home cinema enthusiasts Chip is always busy trying to improve his cinema. He is now in the process of setting up an outdoor cinema for regular evening shows during Florida’s idyllic cool weather seasons. Can’t beat that!
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; December 29, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Well done Paul. Thank you very much for the post!

Comment

My pleasure Chip, and thanks for everything yesterday.

Comment

Great post about a very impressive set up!

Comment

What a wonderful set up . I like the fact that Chip does reel changeovers . I wish i had the room and space for something similar . Excellent and demonstrates a real passion and dedication for both movies and showmanship . A very rare thing these days even in commercial professional Cinemas .

Comment

Super 8 reel changeovers

a previously posted document for those interested

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubbpi...hangeovers.pdf

Comment

Great write up on a beautiful setup. Congratulations and may 2023 bring you your wishes for further enhancement of your hobby with an outdoor cinema!

Comment

When Paul wrote his review, he mentioned the outdoor theater. Here is a link to opening night in my backyard. Make certain to see part two that goes inside the projection room

https://youtu.be/41C4-jxp8rQ

Comment

Well done Chip, it looks like your all set for drive-up feature films complete with changeovers! Lucky neighbors!☺

Comment

It's a reel blessing when we have visitors round to watch some movies. We tend to throw the doors open at a drop of a hat, always good to be sociable.

Comment

Working...
                    X