8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm films on toy projector (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 8mm films on toy projector
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Anythings possible Jeff,sometimes cine projectors of well known makes were badged up and sold as "stores own" once upon a
time.As Michael previously mentioned it does look like the one
that used to be advertised in FM, as I mentioned in a previous
thread I always had a longing for the "Thunderbird" advertised in
the same monster mags and probably just as destructive as the
"Horipet".I don't think those little machines had the power to
chew film, but were the last word in vertical scratches.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 12:06 AM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a You Tube video showing the Brumberger Thunderbird 1503 (the "Famous Monsters" projector) in action; it actually seems to run better and smoother than you might expect. Please check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhYlsN6UpxQ

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 13, 2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is my projector and video guys [Smile] I posted a link on the forum when I got it back in February. http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006911# 000000

I just took it off the shelf a couple of days ago and it runs like a champ. The image is much stabler than shows in the video. It's in perfect condition...it's not a toy...it's built to last. It's a keeper.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 10:42 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it certaily isn't a toy Jeff, and a very impressive little machine.

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Ms. Glesser for an excellent video, also for another one on splicing with Presstape!

My Brumberger projector was not the one shown, but a hand-cranked plastic toy that ran 50' reels with a flashlight bulb for light. It had no shutter and used a small leaf spring with a burr on one side to detain and release the film, hence the machine gun noise. It was probably a real film chomper, but I loved it anyway.

Brumberger was sort of a divided company; one side made toys (I can remember walkie-talkies and a coin bank that was a replica of a US mail box) while the other side made photographic accessories; metal-and-glass slide mounts, 8mm and 16mm reels and cans in home-movie sizes, storage chests for slides, movies, and filmstrip cans; stereopticon viewers, and darkroom safelights. Movie projectors were a point where the two sides seemed to meet. Brumberger was founded in 1904 and continued to operate in Brooklyn, NY until at least the late 1970's.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 13, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always so nice to know a little history...thanks Jeff.

--------------------
Janice

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait till you folks see this video clip...it's amazing what you can do with imagination, ingenuity, and waaay too much spare time! [Wink]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T341EIGjI1c

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Jan, I didn't realise that was your video of the projector
and thanks for making it,it was a pleasure to see that little devil
run.Obviously not a toy as I mistakenly first thought, but a really
neat machine and one I would be proud to own.It just takes me
back to when I was a school lad, wishing I could own one to show
those great films in Forry Ackerman's magazines.I shall definately
view that again.Thankyou.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 13, 2012 10:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff...that Lego Projector is amazing. My grandson is just getting into Legos and he sees all the projectors I have around the house... I'm going to show him this video. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
Janice

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 03:11 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these toy projectors, I spent soo much time gazing at the 200ft. capacity one Famous Monsters used to sell for $50 in the 70's. My parents wisely side-stepped it and bought me dual-format Chinon as my first in the 6th grade. It truthful only played Super 8, and I blame the dumb dual-8 capability for scratching my films. Still, it handled 400ft. and I think the Famous Monsters machine was regular 8 only. I'd have been pretty unhappy with it pretty fast.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 09, 2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the toy from the other topic is mentionned here...

--------------------
Dominique

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2019 08:20 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really injoyed this topic and have my own experience and even relived some.
I still like this small 8mm machines. Kinda nostalgic I think, but once in a while I like to take one of those and for a moment I'm back in my past.

Here's my story with some photo's ro remember the good past.
A neighbour kid had the Mini Movi, and I think it's an EU version of the Pocket Flix.
 -
I showed this to my mother and she agreed to let me buy this, but sadly it was sold out.
What I did found was the viewer from GAF, who had a large market here in the Netherlands.
So I bought me a GAF Cinemaster as my first personal 8mm toy and I was crazy with this thing, watching the films over and over again.
 -
For this you had the two films in one cassettes, like discribed earlier here.
 -

For a long time I was a kid in my own magic cinema.
I even used a flashlight and put this in the viewers behind (lightgate) and projected the picture on the wall.
This worked suprisingly well and gave me a picture the zise of an A4 paper. Size above brightness of course.
A Year of what ago, I bought this GAF Cinemaster again from the marketplace, because I'm nostalgic.
Now I saw that the picture is small and jumps a lot too, because of the amount of frames a second.

As a kid I also tried the Mupi viewer V35 at a shop called HEMA (Sort of Hey Mom) here in Holland.
 -
It had the film: The Prince and the Dragon, from Disney's Sleeping Beauty, and it was fantastic. I never saw that film before, WOW.
Lateron my father hired this film on Super8 60" Disney Digest which was great, which now of course have it myself.

Strange thing is, back than I liked the motorized GAF more, and was not focussed on the larger picture of this V35.

The HEMA also sold the Mupi P25 projector and WOW, this is what I wanted very much, like a dream, an ultimate toy to have.
 -
Boy oh boy, this would give me my own staircloset Cinema Theater. Too bad, because it was sold very quickly, and I was really sad about this for a long time. I always wondered how this would have been.

I recently purchased a Mupi V35 and a Fisherprice version which is practically the same from the marketplace, with a lot of films.
Comparing this to the GAF Cinemaster, the Mupi V35 actually has a much larger picture than that of the GAF and smoother too (depending how fast your turn the wheel of course).

Finally I chased after my magical Mupi P25 projector, just to see what I missed out. I found it on eBay and now I could finally see how this would have been for the little Matthieu in me. Boy what an exciting moment,... to find out that this Mupi P25 really sucks. A very dim and small picture. I even tried out brighter lamps and all, but the design is bad.
I'm actually glad I could never bought one as a kid with my hard to get savings back than hahaha. Using my flashlight and my GAF Cinemaster gave me a much better result when I was little.

I also tried this a while back with the Mupi V35 using a very bright but small LED Flashlight that has a focus and zoom lenshead, pointing this onto the side of the V35 lightgate gave me a really good picture on the wall as well. Becoming the master of this hahaha, otherwise you need three hands, but it is possible to hold the Mupi V35 and the flashlight with one hand, while turning the wheel with the other hand, for movie watching.
Kids are gonna love it, or not,... nowaday's.

The Mupi V35 I like the best so far, because of the large picture, longer films and dark surrounding inside, like being in your small theater.
I also was thinking of putting my own film in a cassette by force-open the film cassette, or push the film out, splice my own film to the one inside, turn the real or push and pull till the other side comes out and splice the end to the beginning.
But,...
What I found you could buy a Mupi Personal Cassette for putting your own film on it and watch this with the great Mupi V35.
 -
Probably not so good for your film, but very easy for showing the family quick.

I don't know what it is with those 8mm filmtoy's, but I still like to try them all out.

Since recently I've read here that the picture of the Pocket Flix would have been much better than the others, because of the 24fps.
I cannot find this anymore, but I recently found the Mini Movi with 6 films, that looks like an excact copy of the Pocket Flix.
 -
Only it says that the filmtransport does not function proparly. I know that the small pin that moves the film upwards is probably flatted out.
This Mini Movi is probably the one that my kid neighbour had and did I mentioned,... I broke without telling, auch. Bad boy.
Yes as a kid I always wanted to know how stuff worked, to see if I could make it better i think. So I put my fingers where it did not belong.
This way I needed to buy the GAF Cinemaster 3 times. But hey,... some films could only be bought with the GAF Cinemaster as a bundle, so I didn't mind that much.
I like to see how it looks, so maybe I'll go for it afterall. If I can fix it, and it's like the Pocket Flix, it shoutld be running very smooth.

Another 8mm Gadget that I found yesterday and is mentioned here as well, is the Micro Movie Viewer.
Even as a Keychain version:
 -
It has adjustable screen and focus.
I really love how small it is and because of the later developing it probably runs really smooth and has a better motor than the older GAF that gave a painfully high squeecking noise after a while.
There are some YouTube video's of this little Micro Movie Viewer and I think it is also 24fps.
I probably order myself a few of these, also as a giveaway for some of my customers who have done 8mm film themselves in the past.
I'm also keep searching for the Pocket Flix.

What's changed with the kids anno 2020?
The kids from now, like my son, have Virtual Reallity, by using a Samsung phone and Gear VR and watching their movies in a Virtual cozy theater.

[ January 15, 2019, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC