8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Three Stooges on 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Three Stooges on 8mm
Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 15, 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Aragon's posting in the sales section got me to thinking about how many of the Stooges' films are available on 8mm. Please add to the list!

Columbia 400' Super 8mm Sound
  • An Ache In Every Stake
    A Bird In The Head
    Calling All Curs
    Cash And Carry
    Creeps
    Dizzy Pilots
    Disorder In The Court
    Dutiful But Dumb
    Hoi Polloi
    Hot Stuff
    Hula La La
    Love At First Bite
    Men In Black
    Micro-Phonies
    Pardon My Clutch
    Pardon My Scotch
    Pop Goes The Easel
    Sweet Pie And Pie
    Tassels In The Air
    Three Dark Horses
    Three Little Beers
    Three Missing Links
    Three Pests In A Mess
    Three Sappy People
    Uncivil Warriors
    Vagabond Loafer
    Woman Haters
Columbia 200' Sound
  • Studio Stoops
    We Want Our Mummy
Columbia 50'& 200' Silent
  • Ants In The Pantry
    Cash And Carry
    Dizzy Doctors
    Dopey Dicks
    Goofs And Saddles
    Grips, Grunts And Groans
    Hold That Lion
    Idle Roomers
    Malice In The Palace
    Pardon My Scotch
    Spooks
    Studio Stoops (200' only)
    Three Little Pigskins (200' only)
    We Want Our Mummy
    Whoops! I'm An Indian
3-D
  • Spooks (Columbia 50', Silent)
    Tails Of Horror (Columbia 50', Silent)
    Pardon My Backfire (Derann 400' Sound)
Americom 200' silent (with soundtrack record)
  • Snow White And The Three Stooges
Walton 200' Super 8mm/Reg 8mm Sound
  • Stooges Go West
Niles 400' Super 8mm Sound
  • Kook's Tour
Full Length Features
  • Kook's Tour
    Stooges Go West (Gold Raiders)

[ May 21, 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2006 11:59 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton, in England, released both full-length and digest versions of "Gold Raiders" as "Stooges Go West".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 17, 2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug
I was interested to read your list,I have a Americon 8mm Snow White and the Three Stooges I ran the record a few years ago and it worked well,Doug do you know the history behind the company that produced them?on the back cover it mentions also available on standard eight so I guess it goes back a few years.
Regards Graham

P.S Was thinking of posting a few photos of our home cinema not sure how to do this Thanks

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2006 12:55 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have the Walton Stooges Go West in both Standard 8 sound and Super 8 sound. They are 200ft with a nice colourised box cover. The films original theatrical title was Gold Raiders. It is from 1951 with Shemp. Remember "you can't hit a man with glasses!"

Regards,

David

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2012 08:31 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have seeked out "Gold Raiders" years ago, but having seen the film... I'll pass. It was just god-awful. Especially the part where they keep repeating one particular action sequence over and over and over again with the cowboy on his horse shooting his six gun. I remember reading years later that Moe Howard hated the film and always declined discussing it. Howard said it was made on a very low budget - it shows.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2012 06:47 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a super 8 print of Three Little Pigskins.....I know Columbia did not put it out, but it's a fairly nice print...but can't remember who released it. Reel Image, possibly..or Red Fox... or Canterbury....
Niles had a Disorder in the Court ...but then so did a lot of folks.

Hope to see you all this weekend in New Jersey...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 02, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adore those Columbia 400ft releases, (having nine of them!) as they were, as a general rule, superior prints! Also, most have the original Columbia leaders on them. Very sharp indeed!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2012 05:29 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STOOGES GO WEST is not a full length but a shortened four reel 36 minute version, from the original 56, and is a rather nice little film. It is an equal blend of half a Stooges comedy and half a George O'Brien western and, like the later features, lacks the excessive comic violence of the shorts.After all, Edward Bernds was a more restrained director than Jules White! As for its cheapness,well, it was a Jack Schwartz production, of whose films, quite a few were released in 8 mm. Mountain having made a deal with Renown which had distributed them in England. Why THE GOLD RAIDERS was shortened and retitled is a mystery while all the others were issued complete (all around an hour). Just try to watch BUFFALO BILL IN TOMAHAWK TERRITORY, FORBIDDEN JUNGLE or CATTLE QUEEN to see how bad a shoddy little cheapie can be. At least, this one wasn't directed by B.B. Ray or Robert Tansey !!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 29, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread Shorty asked to see a catalog scan of the Columbia Stooges 200' releases. This is from the 1969 catalog. There weren't any additions till 1973, when Columbia started to put out the 400' versions.

-

Shorty, you were also asking about "A Pain in the Pullman". I don't believe that was released on 8mm.

Doug

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did they get away with advertising them as "complete" subjects when you were only getting half the film?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

From the catalog:

-

Doug

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 08:13 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug.

Well, they still tip-toed around the fact that they weren't really complete. 12 minutes at 18fps, I assume. Castle used the same terminology.

I have about a half-dozen of those Stooges titles, but I run them at 24 fps, which looks right.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 31, 2016 12:22 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks again Doug - I've been wrong in my want-list, I need DIZZY DOCTORS - Thanks, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel inspired to get some Stooges now.

When I was a little kid they were pretty much verboten at home because of the violence.

At a very spry 85 years old, Mom's still with us:

-I won't tell her if you don't!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC