8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 18, 2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Jeroen, great animated flick.

It can be frustrating. I offered my first collection of 16MM animated cereal commercials to Derann for release. They replied politely and said that they were not interested.

True, they are 16MM, and a negative made freom 16MM source would not be as good as a neg from 35MM, but with commercials, you don't have too much of a choice. Red Fox released a two TV commercial releases and they were somewhat grainy, (as the negs were made from 16MM originals.

But I'm betting that they would have sold! They are all those classic characters that most of us grew up with, and mint condition ads at that! Also, at only six minutes, it would have made a rather cost efficient 200ft reel.

I'm working on a second collection of these classic animated ads and have had the good fortune to find completely unfaded prints of these late sixties cartopon commercials which, at that time were a full minute long, and not the later running time of 30 seconds.

Blimey, if I had the "lolly", I'd be contacting the German labs myself!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 05:02 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-

Have you talked to Steve Osborn of the REEL IMAGE? He may be very interested in producing those commercials on super 8, as he's working on a similar venture right now. He has the connections, and this may be something you guys could work together on.

If you need his number, let me know.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I hadn't even thought of Steve, which is strange, as I do a lot of business with him. it would be great to release a new reel for collectors stateside! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Features from Hammer Films

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been said, A&C MEET F,

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 11:56 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A&C meet "Big Frankie" was released by Phil Sheard.

I have an assembled Big Frankie plastic model
by Aurora.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much did CHC charge for A&C Meet Frankie? Was it the full feature?
-Mike

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 02:42 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, let's see... In 8 mm I really would like to see Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. I'm in love with that movie!
And Tornatore's NUOVO CINEMA PARADISO too (about this one, I know an American print on 16 mm already exists).

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

I agree with your choice, but ONLY if it was the unedited directors cut. That version released originally to theaters was a mess! (personal opinion.)

It was the first film I remember seeing Jennifer Connelly in, (who made her first big impact in Jim Hensons "Laberynth".)

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 19, 2009 03:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I believe the cost for the complete A&C Meet Frankenstein was £285.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi. You are totally right.
And yes, if I well remember that one was Jennifer Connelly first appearence. But before LABYRINTH she was the main star of Dario Argento's PHENOMENA.

[ February 20, 2009, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,now about Don Bluths Anastasia the animated movie 1997.
Is there a chance they put that movie on super8?
Or must we sign a petition you name it.
DerAnn asked us which movie,now that movie i want.
I think people agree with me that that movie a real classic is,and not alone for the holidays. [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 20, 2009 10:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeroen

Okay, the problem getting "Anastasia" on Super 8 is that Don Bluth kind of jumped around from studio to studio when he released his animated features. Derann did release "Secret of Nihm" and Barry Atwood and his gang released (I hope I'm right about that Barry), "All Dogs Go To Heaven" (Love to find a print of that one Barry!)

, but Anastasia was released by Fox, so Derann, while they have had deals with Fox before (STAR WARS), would probably have to make another deal with Fox, and I bet that they don't have the financial clout to do so these days, sad to say.

Personally, if they could do another deal with Fox, "Titan AE" would probably be a better seller, but that is just my opinion.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titan A.E was a not my favorite but that is personal,
I have another favorite for DerAnn and that is treasure planet
from Disney's animated movie from 2003.
woooooow i love that movie so much.
But that is the last one i want on super8.
Such a pitty for Anastasia it looks like Disney. [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeroen, I TOTALLY AGREE about Disney's TREASURE PLANET! [Big Grin]

[ June 02, 2009, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding A&C MEET F, I have never seen that offered in full-length on Super 8. I'm not doubting the statement that it was released, though. Is it still available? I'll even take an improved 20 minute cut-down. As I've mentioned many times before on this forum, U-8 did a terrible job with that. They should have used that editor's brain to put in the monster!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 09:36 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see Derann release new and improved classic U-8 digests.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 20, 2009 10:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

German prints of "A&C meet Frankenstein" were available for a time along with the original "Godzilla","Psycho", "Tarantula" and "Young Frankenstein". These were all printed on B&W stock. Try getting in touch with Steve Osborne at The Reel Image (937-296-9036). He might know if there are any more out there.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the audio all in German? This wouldn't be too fun.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a suggestion.

How about a 400 or 600 ft spool of all Star Wars trailers, beginning with Phantom Menace through Return of the Jedi?

Now that would be a collector's item!

CG

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Chip. Trailer reels are always good. Ive been watching a James Bond trailer reel a lot although most of the trailers on it have faded it is still very good fun and very watchable. Thats it with trailer reels you can watch them again and again and never get bored. Your idea sounds excellent. Are the individual trailers still available new? The only sticking point Ive found with the James Bond trailers is that some are flat and others scope so you cant put them all on the same reel, the same might be true of Star Wars?

Graham S

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make it sell good, it would have to be flat. Scope would be nice, but not everyone has that capability yet they'd want the trailers too. If done right maybe letter box them all, so the reel runs consistent. And have all 7 trailers be just for each of the 7 films....not have one trailer promoting three in the series, even though it could have been made very good as a production overall.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Make them all flat or letterboxed. One of the 007 trailers I was watching , Spy who Loved Me, is flat like the rest on the reel. Derann sell it new but it is in scope so cant really splice it onto reel. But never mind its still great.

Its a shame Derann (and classic) dont sell more trailer reels (3 on a 200ft reel), but prefer to sell the trailers individually.

Graham S [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 23, 2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's more money selling them seperately, and who can blame them for that? Certainly not me. Actually, I don't like when they have two or more trailers on a reel. Usually, I will only want one of the three and I end up being snookered into three.

Bleaugh!

News flash. I am in talks about potentially releasing a reel of cereal ads on Super 8. That's all I can say. (that's all there is! But it is a start!)

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:49 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in a big supermarket here in town.

One of the lowlife cartmen said he liked movies about serial killers.

So we sent him to isle 5 to take care of Snap, Crackle, and Pop.

[Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC