8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » sankyo stereo 800/user report/view. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: sankyo stereo 800/user report/view.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there everyone.i thought i would give my views on this
excellent stereo machine.
It was Paul Adsett who give me the idea,following his superb
review of the Eumig S938.
Anyway here it goes...
This machine came out in the spring of 1978;and its one of the
best ever.
The stereo 800 was slightly larger than the old 700 model,and
was Sankyo's top model..there it remaimed.
The finish is in black,with white function labelling.
Threading is fully automatic and very reliable,the film could be removed part way thru,by taking of the front cover and pushing open the gudies and pressure plate.
it takes super 8 and single 8 film;it came with an 800 ft take
up reel as a standard accessory.
Another good idea was the heads only come into contact with
sound film only.neat.
A large rotary switch control all projectors funcations.
Thats the movement of the film,reverse and forward projection
and of course sound and lamp postions.
The height was changed by turning of the front foot.
There's an inching knob that worked well.
This was a rather cunning design,since it doesn't revolve while
the projector is running.A good safety point!.
To advance the film by the knob,it must be pushed in and then
turned.For sync use that knob is useful,because exactly the right start frame can be movedinto the gate.useful for cueing sequences.
There was two lens used with this machine-the supplied one was
Sankyo's f/1.4 with 15-25mm and a f/1.0 15-30mm zoom lens.
The lamp is a 15v/150watt type,with a dichroic mirror.
This of was meant that the light output would be excellent
and so it is.Sankyo also give us a high/low light output.
I was delighted in the light output,the low is excellent for
normal home shows.
Anyway as its name suggests this was a stereo model and
it lives up to that.
It's one of the best sounding projectors i'd ever heard
and still is.The feature list is superb with sound dubbing,mixing
and track to track transfer.
Sankyo supplied a pair of stereo headphones with this machine,
and one mic.Also sankyo give a 5 pin din/rec/playback/;two line inputs,two outs and headphone socket.The line/mic inputs/outputs
are of the 3.5mm jack type.Headphone is the 6.3mmjack.
I use my Sankyo stereo 800 a lot,to me its one of the easist
machine ever!.
The internal speakers are in my view the best i've ever heard,
A great machine,i use this as a back up for my ELMO GS1200;in
some ways the 800 is better;its smaller in size and much more
easy to use.Track one of those cracking 800s down,you will not
be dissapointed.A real cracker.Andy.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody got any views on this machine?.Pity.Andy.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 04, 2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do!

It's well-designed (...except for certain models that have no fuses whatsoever...) ... bright light, gentle and reliable film transport, not too noisy, very good sound (and very good stability too, no wow/flutter whatsoever) - has a wealth of possible combinations of single-track or stereo recording/mixing/monitoring - IMHO a really nice machine for those who can't afford a GS-1200 but still want true stereo from their films. Pity the Hi-Pro 1:1.0 lens is so hard to find (and actually the focus adjustment is too coarse too, it takes a bit of fine-tuning to get it just right).

Overall I like this machine quite a lot. (I got 2, actually - one that I've been trying to sell unsuccessfully, and one that would run perfectly except the motor control board appears to be bad, so I'm hoping to find another for-parts machine down the road.)

There's one minor design flaw: when switching into forward projection mode (particularly after running in reverse) it takes a moment for the take-up reel to get up to speed. In the meantime a loop of film forms which is then pulled straight with a sudden jerk by the reel. Not a good thing especially for acetate film... so I like to turn the reel by hand for a moment while I engage forward mode, and then I let go and all is well.

But other than that... Thumbs up! [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Jan.I too love this machine to bits.As you my know
i've been having a problem with half the picture out of focas.
BUT i still think it's a real beauty of a machine.Andy.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a machine i often tried to pick up, i either always missed them or they were out of my reach financialy at the time. Ive never seen one in action but do understand them to be top notch machines, be good to see a good image of one to remind us what they lok like.
[Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 05, 2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://film.club.ne.jp/images/p_sankyo800large.jpg

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan, a very good looking machine.

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Sankyo 800 I use a Xenovaron 1.1 lens , diameter = 32 mm . It fits exactly in the mounting plate of the lens, I only had to drill something such as the leaders for the pin at the original 1,4 objective. I think , such Xenovaron`s ( 1,1 or 1,2 ) are used with a Braun Visacustic or with a Beaulieu . Xenovarons for the Bauer machines (with pin and too small) do not fit.
Henry

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2006 02:49 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know that others think of the Sankyo Stereo 800 as highly as I do, this really is a great machine an like you Andy; I tend to use mine on all those occassions that I don't need the GS 1200.

One of the great things about all the Sankyo models is their reputation for being kind to film, I have yet to see a film either scratched or in any other way damaged by a Sankyo projector.

The sound is belting and the optics, especialy with the Hi-Pro-Zoom lens are great.

A truely great machine!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
HI MIKE,My sankyo did mark my films,but the gate was banjod.Andy.
P.S its still a cracking machine.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 15, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... who wants to buy mine?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Sankyo is a vry nice performer but they are well renowned for their gate wear so that an area to keep an eye on.
They do have nice sound from the built in amp but I think some of that is down to the actual speakers used inside the machine. BTW they use the same motor as the main motor in the GS1200.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I know about the gate wear.Andy.
It's still a great machine though.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame they didnt do the 800 as a 1200ft version.

Where's "The Doctor" hes got two to play with. Another project for you Jan [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 16, 2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] Actually, the machine I got off Michael Clark had already been modified for 1200ft capacity [Wink] unfortunately that's the one with the defective motor control board... and I'm not sure I really want to do the same mod with the other (perfect) machine - though I wonder if that would make it more attractive to potential eBay buyers?

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or does the sankyo stereo 800 has better playback sound than even the GS1200?,thru a a/v amp.Maybe i have cloth ears.Andy.
What do other members think.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy

I agree about the sound. The machine is so quiet . A joy to use.

Kev, how do you spot the gate wear?

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound quality on the Stereo 800 is certainly as good as that on the GS, especially when played back through an external amp.

These are very underated machines.

Mike

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Barry might come down by 50% [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 04, 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hate to say it but I liked the sound of the Sankyo better than my GS! It was so round and full...really a wonderful sound. But..even with the 1.0 Hi Fi lens the picture still lacked the sizzle and definition of the GS. I used it for a few films and I had to take out the GS again..!
Soon I'll have a review on the Beaulieu 708EL Stereo! I broke down and got one.. [Smile]
Its on its way from Sweden! Sorry..slightly off topic.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2006 10:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever treated the 800 gate with 3in 1 oil?.Just asking because it's meant to stop film judder.Andy.
P.S It doesn't seem normal to me!.

[ November 12, 2006, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 12:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony that's easy re-gate wear.the film jumps in the gate and the lower loop is lost.
Also if you put your fore-finger on the top spring it shudders violenty.That in my view is the only con on a otherwise great machine.Andy.
P.S I still love this machine.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy

An illustration or two for your thread [Wink] ;

-

-

-

-

-

-

Mike

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 14, 2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Soon I'll have a review on the Beaulieu 708EL Stereo! I broke down and got one.. [Smile]
Its on its way from Sweden! Sorry..slightly off topic.

OT continued: Alan, if you already use a Schneider lens on your GS, you will like the Crisp image projected out of the Beaulieu, it's on the blueish side which makes it look "whiter" than the yellowish-white image of the GS even at 150w. Have fun with the micrometric focus system [Big Grin] . And be prepared to get the GS out again as the sound isn't as good on the Beaulieu. Threading and manual unthreading is a dream, though.

Mike, I see that you still have a big soft spot for Sankyos...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike for that.Now to get the thing fixed once and for all,hopefully.Andy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC