8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What 3D films do you have? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What 3D films do you have?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks, a new topic, at least one I haven't seen in awhile ...

What 3D films do you have?

I have

It Came From Outer Space 400ft 3D
Pardon My Clutch: Three Stooges 400ft 3D

One that I WISH would have been released in 3D?

The Tell tale Heart (Animated UPA Productions. 1950's)'

According to Leonard Maltin, film critic and author of "Of Mice and Magic" A History of American Animated cartoons (excellent book!), he states that this cartoon was actually shot and poduced in 3D, but since the craze had already died by the time this film was finished, it was never actually released in 3D.

Wish list film in 3D ...

LumberJack Rabbit (Bug's Bunny), Only 3D cartoon by Warner Bros.
The Warners logo (sheild) actually jumps far future at the audience at the beginning! If anyone happens to find a good 35MM copy from the 50's, get it to Derann, I bet that they would definitely release it!

Also, this would be a good time to do a history of 3D titles on Super 8/Standard 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the usual ones...the newer Derann version of Creature from the Black Lagoon... the u8 of It Came from Outer Space...plus a 16mm of Third Dimensional Murder. I did have Pardon My Backfire..but it was awful....so I sold it. I also bought back inthe 60's...two standard 8mm silent clips from the Three Stooges Spooks....one had really good 3 d..the other was printed a bit dark and had more red/purple hue...and was not as good.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the new Derann release of 'Creature from the Black Lagoon'. It's exactly the same as the original Universal 8 release, minus the U8 logo and end title.
In general I am not enthusiastic about 3D on super 8. The anaglyphic system is primitive by modern standards, and because of the innaccuracies of color printing, there is always double imaging using the red and green glasses. The 3D effects on 'Creature' range from awful to not bad, depending on the scene. But watching this 400ft film is a real strain on the eyes and the brain, and leaves my head swimming by the end of the reel. A non-3d 400ft Creature digest would have been a lot better.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 08, 2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 prints of "Creature". My first print, purchased in 1977, has faded to the point where the effect is negligible. The 2nd copy (U-8, eBay) is great. I disagree with Paul as this is one of my favorite prints and so incredibly well edited. I've probably screened this title more than any other in my collection.
"It Came From Outer Space" is a decent edit. That one scene with the rocks falling gets me every time!
My print of "Pardon My Backfire" has terrific 3D effects.
"Third Dimensional Murder" has never worked well for me.
"Audioscopiks" is a little better.
Columbia's 400' "The Mad Magician" is a beautiful print with splendid 3D effects. Unfortunately the digest is edited poorly. The much older 200' silent version has faded completely.
Strangely enough, I have Standard 8mm prints of both Three Stooges 3D 50 footers that have held up very well!

Here's an earlier 3D thread.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 02:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that you mentioned those two Three Stooges 3D shorts, both taken from "Spooks", which had some great pie fighting in 3D, right?

By the way, I mis-spoke, it was "pardon My backfire" not Pardon My clutch" another Three Stooges with Shemp.

Was your problem with "Pardon My backfire because of a re-occuring film lab mistake?

Through most of copy of that short, there is a very nerve wracking film lab "stain" that takes away from the short, as well as sound going in and out. I got this from Paul Foster, (he didn't tell me of any problems with it ahead of time, he might not have known), but I never returned it as the post was unreasonable.

--------------------

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2008 03:17 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could create the same lens for Super8 that I use when projecting 3D films in 35mm - its the polarized system and would require a silver screen

Osi if you had a reduction of StarChaser this would work for that print and others like it.

Always wished 'someone'printed Over/Under 3D films in Super8 ...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have what most people have:
- Creature (later U8 batch, good effects)
- It came...
- Mad Magician (slightly faded)
- 3 Dimension murder (never been too enthiastic about this one...)

But nothing beats my View Master collection for 3D... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy, i've always loved 3-D films. I saw Andy Warhol's Frankenstein when it was released in 1973(?), and I was amazed at the 3-D effect. I literally swatted at the bats! Then, in 1982 I went to see Friday the 13th 3-D. They installed the silver screen just for this film...WOW! best 3-D i've EVER seen! [Smile] Getting back to the post, I have Creature, Pardon, and Murder in 3-D.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted October 08, 2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have None

Boo Hoo [Frown]

Kevan

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Kevan,

at least, if you should chose to collect a few, the prints that Derann is manufacturing these days (reprints of It came From Outer Space and Creature From The Black Lagoon), are on low fade L.P.P. and as others hasd already stated, as long as the film doesn't fade, it keeps the 3D effects quite well. They also manufactured the vintage prints of "Pardon My Backfire" (already mentioned) by the three stooges.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem I have with the 3D films is the loss of brightness through those red and green glasses, the picture looks so dim compared with normal projection so your eyes are constantly struggling to make out details in the picture. Maybe if you had a GS Xenon things would be ok, but I find the picture quality unnacceptable for the most part.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 09, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true Paul. I tend to project my 3D's a little smaller with the projector a little closer to the screen.

Still, it's a nice thrill when (with It came From Outer Space, for instance) a rock hurtles right at the screen from out of nowhere! Those thrills ... still thrill.

Doug ...

What film stock are those 50ft 3D Stooge releases from "Spooks" on? I'd be curious, as I bet it's got to be Kodachrome or another long laasting stock. eastman would have faded a LONG time ago and made the 3D thrills kaput!

--------------------

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted October 10, 2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Yes I hope to own all three of them by winters end.

Paul

Had some trouble with a dry, jumpy film used ArmourAll Protecten on it and buffed with soft flannal cotton. Man, It's just like new. Thanks

Kevan

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 10, 2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevan,
Glad to hear that someone else is getting good results with ArmourAll protectant wipes. I have been using it for several years now with no adverse effects on the film, and as you say it really does a good job of smoothing the running of dried and warped film. My main reason for using it is safety, I just do not trust the safety of film cleaners with strong solvents.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens Paul!

All of this time I've been thinking that everybody was pulling my leg about that armour all use.

A question Paul, how long have you been using it? The reason why I ask is with a product that's not specifically used for films could potentially have bad ramifications in the long run. have you seen the "long run" yet?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 10, 2008 12:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the discussion turns to ArmourAll, please start a new thread, or revive one of the old ones. Thanks.

Doug

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all of them except the 200ft MAD MAGICIAN (does it have any scenes not in the 400ft version?) and TAILS OF TERROR (which duplicates several scenes from SPOOKS.)
Thankfully all are good copies.The two Universals are original U8 prints and THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER is an original Eric Spilker print. incidentally have you noticed that the b&w 200ft version of IT CAME....has totally different scenes from the 400 ft one?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the 200ft version of "It Came From Outer Space" ever released in 3D? Even if not, it might be interesting to put that info into the film.

Sorry about getting the postings off track ... bad OSI (slap of hand).

--------------------

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted October 10, 2008 06:55 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
I have to take the 30 lashing with 8mm film for getting us off topic. Sorry Douglas.

I just wanted to thaks Paul then and now because I don't think he would read the old posts. I have read them all and find it very interesting about SHHHH Don't Say IT. [Wink]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have THE MAD MAGICIAN 400FT with Vincent Price.
also a 35mm copy of ANDY WARHOL'S THE FLESH OF FRANKENSTEIN a crap story but alot of great 3d shots of blood/guts etc.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 10, 2008 08:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi & Kevan,

Thanks for returning to the topic! Osi, the 200 ft versions of both "Creature" & "It Came From Outer Space" were released only in 2-D by Castle in 1957. The 200' "Creature" has some additional footage that would cut nicely into the longer digest except that it lacks the extra dimension.

Panayotis,
Just as you pointed out with IT CAME..., the 200' "Mad Magician" (released years before and only in a silent version) has different scenes than the 400 footer. I think the edit is better in the shorter release.

Doug

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 10, 2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

From the 1971 Columbia catalog.

Doug

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Along with the 2 50ft 3D "Spooks", do you have this, (I take it) 400ft edition?

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 06:26 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
From memory I've the usual titles in anaglyphic 3-D and some not so [Wink]

SUPER 8mm
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 400ft 3-D
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE 400ft 3-D
PARDON MY BACKFIRE 400ft 3-D
MAD MAGICIAN 400ft 3-D
THIRD DIMENTIONAL MURDER 200ft 3-D
METROSCOPIKS 200ft 3-D
AUDIOSCOPIKS 200ft 3-D

STANDARD 8mm
MAD MAGICIAN 200ft (SILENT) 3-D
TALES OF HORROR 50ft (SILENT) 3-D
SPOOKS 50ft (SILENT) 3-D

16mm
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 800ft 3-D
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE 800ft 3-D
Plus the first 1200' of a feature print of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D (which would be nice to tag onto the 400 footer (Derann?))

16MM COMPLETE FULL LENGTH FEATURE PRINTS
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE 3-D
MAD MAGICIAN 3-D

Patrick,
Tell us about your 35mm copy of FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN, what 3-d format is it? Over/Under? Side by Side? Anaglyphic?

DOUG,
Nice artwork!

Rick

[ January 27, 2018, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 11, 2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky,

Wow, three great titles in 16mm!

Osi,

The film in the catalog is the 200' silent version. I do have both.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC