8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What 3D films do you have? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What 3D films do you have?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

It would seem that you have most of that short, (Spooks), as the usual Stooge short, as you know, is approximately 2X200!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 11, 2008 10:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Sorry, I misunderstood. The Stooges 3D shorts were only available in 50'. Columbia did put out a standard depth(!) 200' silent edition of "Spooks" but as far as I know, they never released a 400 footer.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Doug,

At one time, I had the 200ft 'Spooks', I always wondered why the doctor was pointing that needle right me.

Doug, would you, (or anyone else) know of any 3D films that were made before "Bwana Devil" (I think that was the first "Hollywood release")? I'm betting that there were some experiments in 3D.

... and I'd still love to find a 35MM theatrical print of "Lumberjack Rabbit", I think it's the only chance that we'd have of getting that Bug's Bunny cartoon on Super 8 in 3D. I bet that Derann or CHC (depending on the quality of the print), would jump at releasing that as a short! It would definitely be assured of being a technicolor print and not Eastman, as Warners hadn't moved to Eastman yet.

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Warners "Lumberjack Rabbit" would have been a dual projector print i.e. separate Left and Right prints. I have an IB 16mm copy of (I think) the Left hand print, the channel ID is printed on the countdown leader.

Rick

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 11, 2008 10:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

From the program for "World 3-D Film Expo": The first 3D feature was "The Power of Love" (1922). All of the anaglyph prints are believed to be lost. The 1939 World's fair in NY featured "Motor Rhythym", a short 3D film for the Plymouth car company. This was the first time mass audiences saw 3D using polarizng glasses.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 12, 2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely fascinating Rick ...

I automatically assumed that it would be the red/blue glasses variety of 3D. So, they had competing styles of 3D back in the early fifties?

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
From your posts I assume you didn't know about the early "two strip" methods? I was the opposite until about 4 years ago; I had never heard of "over and under" until Maurice Leakey put me onto "3D MOVIES. A history and filmography of Stereoscopic Cinema" by R.M.HAYES, published by McFarland Classics in the States. ISBN 0-7864-0578-3. It's an absolutely riveting read, both from the Collector and Technical point of view.
I now have quite a library on the technical aspects of 3-D... see my footnote.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Osi,

Warner Brothers early 3-D system called 'NaturalVision' utilised 2 prints for the Left and Right images with 2 projectors interlocked to run both images in sync. The images were polarised with opposing filters and overlaid on screen (silver reflective screen). The viewers polarised glasses then only allowed the correct image to be seen by the appropriate eye and voila 3-Dimensions!

Other studios use similar 2 projector systems and this is the best system for full resolution on 35mm as opposed to the over/under and side-by-side systems, although it takes great skill to project successfully. Also these early Warner 3-D films had an intermission around 1 hour into the story to allow for a reel change because the 2 projector change-over systems were being used to project the 2 prints and 6000’ of film was usually the limit!

My very first boss was once the chief at the Warner Brothers theatre in London’s Leicester Square and had many a tale to tell regarding the 3-D engagements of the 50's!

Ricky

[ February 14, 2009, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2008 12:34 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Halloween I ran 16mm 3D prints of THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER and the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON Universal 8 digest. The audience loved it!

Is there any sort of comprehensive list someone in the know could generate which lists all known 16mm anaglyph 3D prints available? Both full features and shorts...

I'd love to know what to keep an eye out for. Ricky's list of what he owns seems pretty comprehensive, but maybe there's more?

Many thanks.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2009 02:28 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought, in one set, for 99.00 UKP (114.00 Euros)

The Mad Magician 400ft
Creature From The Black Lagoon 400ft
It Came From Outer Space 400ft

Mad Magician is from "Columbia Pictures"
Creature and Space are from "Universal 8"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190286779861&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I am very happy about it!!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC