8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Gathering of Film Collectors in NJ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Gathering of Film Collectors in NJ
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 06, 2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some remarks regarding the John Black Film Collector's Expo at the Bolero Resort in Wildwood NJ - Having just returned, I can now put fingers to keyboard to say it was quite excellent. Re-acquainting with old friends, and meeting new ones; Doug Meltzer is not only a first-rate moderator, he's an intelligent film collector. Steve Klare, classy gentleman engaging everyone in stimulating repartee. John Black has created the start (a pilot show, if you will), replete with great humor and indeed a pleasure to be with his and everyone's company. Don't miss the future of all this, the stories we exchanged, the information we learned, the films and 'shop-talk' that went on for hours over screenings and dinner, well Ladies and Gentlemen, I am a happier collector knowing John Black is at the helm, and I urge everyone world-wide to attend future shows - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post. I'm glad that the event was successful. I would have liked to have attended but we have a big Christmas festival here that same weekend; I have a restaurant/bar that benefits from this and could not get away.

I would love to here more details from others who attended. What films were screened?

Regards and Merry Christmas.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 06, 2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I am so glad the convention was successful and I hope it now becomes an annual event. But may I suggest the possibility of a different time period for the venuue? Let's face it, December is not a good time for a lot of people, because its right in the holiday season. Plus, a lot of people might be put off by travelling to New Jersey smack in the middle of the snow season. How about a spring or fall event next time?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 06, 2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's working on it, we spoke of many ideas - Thanks for responding

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 06, 2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words, Shorty!

I had a terrific time. While it was great checking out the films at the dealer tables, my favorite part was chatting and hanging out with Forum members and other collectors. After the dinner (diners included Tom Stathes, Steve Klare and Shorty, entertainingly previewing the voices he'll use for an upcoming radio broadcast of "Miracle on 34th St."), a few of us went off to the nearby Sea Theater. This is a great little movie theater, which started out as a Nickleodeon back in 1915. John Black had arranged a reduced rate for us to attend a showing of trailers, cartoons, and William Wyler's great "Detective Story".
Back at the hotel, two of the dealers kindly held Super 8mm and 16mm screenings in their hotel rooms!
And now the important part: John is planning on having the next Film Collectors convention in the spring, possibly April. So all those who couldn't make it this time, as soon as John sets the date, please make plans to attend. Otherwise there won't be a third!

-
Screenings were held outside the dealers room

-
Dealer Lou Franchetti's table

-
Lots of Super 8mm!

-

-
Dealer Gary Sloan

-
Shorty Caruso and Tom Stathes

-

-
Plenty of 16mm!

More pics to come!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Any prints of "Life and Times of Grizzly Adams"?

I agree with the earlier posts. December is terrible for us, (as is November), only as I'm scared to death to dricve in snow, but April! That may well be do-able!

Hey Shorty! I got to see ya!

PLEASE inform us of the date as soon as its set!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 06, 2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
The man that made it all happen: Thank you John Black!

-

-
All these digests are still sealed. Like a time capsule from 1969!

-

-
You don't come across these Universal 8 16mm boxes too often.

-
Nice shirt!

The screenings were basically any film that people wanted to look at. Buyers could check out the used prints before purchasing.

I picked up the Iver digest of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" along with Flinstones cartoons, a few Castle releases, some Disney shorts and a beautiful print of "Carrotblanca"!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, now I know what one John Black looks like, I like to put a face on those that I talk to on the phone! Now I have a face!

You'll love that print of "carrotblanca" Doug! Beautiful sharp print, but you will probably need to re-record the sound from another source. The sound is quite murky.

I hope that, in your estimation, this was a smashing success John! I look forward to hearing about the date for next one!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2009 10:54 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would've loved to have attended! Alas, my financial situation precludes me from attending any of these events.

*SIGH* Sure looks like it was fun. Maybe some day.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2009 11:29 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics, Doug, thank you!!! Can't wait for the dates on the next event. You know, there's a little hotel here called Gaylord, formerly Oprlyand. Just a little one, in case everyone wanted to come here. [Big Grin]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2009 06:51 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a great weekend folks.
Well done John Black.
Nice photos - particularly nice to see a couple of DVDs being put to good use propping up the film projector [Razz]

-Mike

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it was a lot of fun! Funds kept me back this time. If John can put it together for next year, I will start putting money away. Anyone see a print of Sunrise?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 07, 2009 11:13 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh there'll be one next year for certain, if not more - I'd love to see our film-friends from overseas come here, eventually this will make news and become world-wide - Tons of film and fun - It's great, Shorty

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in having one of these shows here on Cape Cod - I'd be willing to research local hotels for early Fall 2010. The weather before Columbus Day is decent - warm days and cooler evenings - and the motel rates are off season and generally lower.

Cape Cod is approximately 5 hours from NYC - 2 hours from Boston or Providence - 8 hours from Burlington Vermont, etc. Hyannis here on the Cape (home of the Kennedy's) has a small but busy airport - Hyannis being the central hub of Cape Cod.

And who knows - maybe I could get Jeff Aikman involved with this......

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you had a great time fella's!!!

Lets hope its an annual event from now on.

Cheers MW

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 07, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not call the event the AFCC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 07, 2009 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's thinking on twice a year, let's hope

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats fantastic guys!

I would have been there for sure, but had to help the wife serve 200 people at a Christmas party.

I agree. Please, no more December film collector programs [Wink] . I would LOVE a Spring program! And I love the Wildwood NJ area.

Keep us posted!

James. PS-Thanks for the photos Douglas!!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 07:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry I couldn't go, but with a very sick daughter plus a ton of pre Christmas church activities , I just couldn't make it. December is a really bad time for this sort of thing. Hoping for another time of year as well.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 09:04 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too had a great time at the show. A pleasure getting together with Shorty, John B and Gary Sloan and meeting David for the first time. Next time, we have to drag Brian H to joing us!

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John (and everyone else who made it to the show) - I was planning on going and then at the last minute my dog got very ill and I had to cancel my plans. I was really upset, but next year (or whenever the next one is) I will be there.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2009 10:10 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done John, and all those who attended. It has been a few years since my last trip to NYC, but next time I will time it for one of your shows so I can cross the river into NJ; the amount of Super 8 on sale looked very impressive.

David

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 09, 2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spread the word, it'll be a huge show next time

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all those films and no luck finding anything you are looking for shorty?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To throw in a travel consideration:

If the next location/hotel could be near an Amtrak station, a lot of folks wouldn't have to think about driving in the hell known as the East Coast highways. Just take a cab from the station to the hotel. I don't know if that is wishful thinking, but nonetheless....

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC