8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Arrived From Buenos Aires

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Arrived From Buenos Aires
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

The box looked like this:

-

But the projector looked like this:

-

Pure luck....The guy needs a few lessons in packing. Thin styrofoam inside, and then the machine. But it got here in one piece.
I will say this for him: when he got delayed sending the machine due to work, he upgraded the shipping to FedEx Priority and paid for the difference himself. Kudos for that.

Initial observations: Plays fine at both speeds, all lamps/meters work, great sound, clean 1.1 lens.

Caveats: there is a soft ratcheting sound that occurs rhytmically (both directions) when the machine is running without film, but when it is 'under load', it hums along quietly like it should. It seems to lessen the more I run it, so maybe the effects of non-use?
I suspect a couple of nylon gears not meshing right when running free, but it is not affecting the performance.
Other than that, some pots and switches could use a cleaning from sitting, nothing unusual.

Could someone ID the version of the machine for me, based on this photo?

-

Altogether, I am very happy with the machine, based on my initial runs of it. Cosmetically it looks fantastic, and the little gear noise seems to be a non-issue until I can get it tweaked.
Elmo did a fine "extra mile" job with this one as their top-of-the line model, it feels (and weighs!) like a 16mm.
Although I almost never use them, I was impressed with the built-in speakers and amps; they really put out loud, clean sound for what they are.

In the spring, I think I will send this up to Mr. Norris for a clean and lube, perhaps along with a 2-bladed shutter installation.

So, altogether, the "Latin American Adventure" ended well. Not sure I would do it again, but here we are [Smile]

And now I am going to watch a film....

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 14, 2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus,
Your projector looks in great shape - amazing that it survived that lousy packaging job.
Looking at the photo it is definately a version 3 machine with the backward bottom loop former, so it probably has had very little useage.
The ratcheting noise that you hear may be from the little roller that rests on the flywheel during ' standby' operation. This is used to drive the flywheel up to speed for sound projection, but flips out of the way when you actually go into the forward mode.
I have heard a similar noise on my machine and I dont think it is anything to be concerned about.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, I thought about you yesterday, wondering if you had received your GS yet. Glad it made it in one piece, and looks like a fine machine, very clean.

I'll be picking my GS up from Dan Lail next week. I'm looking forward to finally having one of these. We'll compare notes.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Good to hear it is a '3'; the newer the better.
The noise came back more consistently after I showed a 1-hr reel (without problems) and I ran the machine empty again. I'll have to get the back cover off and hunt a bit...

Greg,
Congratulations on your GS; I saw Dan's auction, and that looks like a great unit.

BTW, I remember reading about the issue of the bottom threading guide in the film path of the GS, and how it is supposed to wear and then allow the film to get scratched.
I know Steve Osborne has the metal replacement part; is that intended (or necessary) for all three versions of the machine, or was the problem solved by V.3?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 15, 2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus
Looks like a nice projector "well looked after" one thing I would check straight away is the top sprocket "bottom guide" and remove it, its only held on with one screw and have a look at how much wear it has as this guide is the worst one for scratching film when worn, The other, the one above it can also scratch when worn, with the bottom guide removed push the centre guide forward away from the sprocket and do a visual on it for wear at the "top" thats opposite the small bottom roller, there are plenty of photos on the forum on this area. Well enough said [Roll Eyes] for all their faults "and there is plenty" [Smile] the GS1200 is a good projector.

Graham.

PS What lamp is fitted...make sure its not 250 watts some people use those, it draws to much current for the projectors transformer, the lamp to go for is the Fuji the one Kev mentioned on a previous post its 200watt I think its ESC and much brighter than the EJL 200watt.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 15, 2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that box arrive would've scared the c**p outta me - but, what a nice looking machine, Claus. Hope it performs as it should.
[Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Yes, I will check it, and I have already been pondering about getting the metal replacement part from Steve Osborne.
As for the top part, I guess someone must have it as a replacement if needed.

Adrian, the seller, told me the machine had been used about 5 times and had been sitting for about 10 years, which explains both the flawless exterior and the dust bunnies inside [Big Grin]

(He says he has another GS coming up for sale, in the same condition. In my mind, I envision some out-of-the-way warehouse filled with virtually new old Elmos... [Eek!] )

The only thing I am trying to fix is the persistent slight grinding noise that comes at different times in play/reverse. The sound originates from the top middle part of the machine, amongst the gears.
I can't help but feel that a gear wheel or two needs lubrication, because it is not consistent; most of the time, the machine is smooth as silk in the transport and there is never an issue with speed, picture or sound. It just sounds ugly when it happens, and I don't want to strip any of the wheels.

Lamp-wise, I was ready with two 200W Fujis when the machine showed up. It came fitted with a 250W bulb which I put aside for my Eiki.

And Mike, yes, the box was not a pretty sight, but at least I had been forewarned by another member who bought a GS that the boxing left something to be desired.
I sent the picture of the box to Adrian and told him to pack better, and he promised [Roll Eyes]

On we go; if I can just find the source of the grinding and take care of it, I am happy with this indeed. The GS is just such a pleasure, both in use and in performance.

Claus.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, I had a grinding noise on my machine and found out it was due to the main motor belt not being in line with the drive shaft. The motor wheel, what the belt sits on, is held firm by a grub screw. Loosen this and you can slide the position along the motor shaft to get it in line. Also check that there is the correct amount of tension on the belt, about 5mm give I think (look in manual). The motor is held in place by 2 screws and you can tighten or loosen these to adjust the tension.

Graham S

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Thank you! That's excellent maintenance information; I will check and see if that is what causes the noise.

Claus.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC