8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The inexpensive way to ship films from USA to worldwide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The inexpensive way to ship films from USA to worldwide
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 10:49 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following the question raised in the previous thread Question About Birth Of A Nation which topic a bit shifting to question about USPS service to send film overseas, I rather make a new post so the said thread is not going out of topic.

In that thread I have wrote:

quote:
The Blackhawk box is not really important, because they are the generic one. You can get it from somewhere else.

In case you send only the 7 reels, I believe it will fit on the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box which is only $12.95 from USA to anywhere in the world (to max 4 pounds). Check here: http://ircalc.usps.gov/popups/PMI_SmallFlatRateBox_help.htm

Apparently I have made a mistake because I should actually referring to the Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope not the Small Flat Rate Box.

The Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope has a dimension 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" so quite possible to cater 7" reel. The max weight is allowed in this envelope is 4 lbs. The cost is $12.75 (online) or $13.45 (post office) to anywhere in the world (That includes Zimbabwe in Africa or Tubuai in Pacific...amazing!!). It is a little cheaper to Mexico and Canada destination.

The question is now how many reels are able to be placed inside it (if with box or just the reels only).

I myself have once asked a seller to use this envelope (at that time the cost was a bit cheaper $11.95 ) and 3 400" reels with original cardboard included. And I posted that once here: "USPS (Large Envelope) economical and QUICK!".

The seller was quite smart by putting the 3 boxes in pyramid style and close the lit by adding sellotape. The USPS let them through and as Joe mentioned in the above thread, as long as we use the material provided by the USPS, it would go through.

So, I already tried to put 8 200" reels with boxes and they fit nicely in that envelope and the weight is still lesser than 4 lbs. So what a nice bargain to ship 8 reels to Zimbabwe with only $13.45 [Big Grin]

So, back to you Christian, if 7 reels can fit on the said envelope, you will only spend $13.45 for shipping to Norway, but not with the bottom. But as I told earlier, it is a generic box one, you can get it somewhere (or make it your own).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in non-"mint box" cases this way is acceptable since it is one of the only ways to go cheap, the key as mentioned on the other thread is to reinforce the envelope with the packing tape....You can pretty much cover the whole envelope with tape to protect it and use some bubble wrap inside to protect the contents...I totally understand the need to keep postage down whenever possible since the rates have been rising tremendously

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dino, you are correct that this USPS service is reliable for "non-expensive items" and persons who do not want to spend half of his films spending for postage.

I even jokingly made a quick review if I wanted to send an item (size 12.5" x 9.5" x 1" and 4 lbs) from Toronto (postal code M5C 2H6) to ...... Burkina Faso!. [Razz]

Using the Canadian Post Website shows that the cheapest airmail will cost $55.64.

Now, I will use tri-party from Toronto (Canada Post) - New York (USPS) - Burkina Paso. See what is the total:

1. Canada to New York, USA (air mail)= $ 17.41
2. New York, USA to Burkina Paso (air mail, with The Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope) = $13.45

Total = $30.86

It is very much cheaper compared to $55.64 charged by Canadian Post direct to Burkina Paso. May be my tri-party way will be a bit longer but it shows that USPS is cheaper.

Even if you want to be faster, you can use Xpresspost from Canada to USA which is $25.76 (trackable) and + The Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope $13.45 = $39.21....still cheaper than $55.64!!

You see what I mean. [Wink]

I always praise USPS for the pricing system, service (I received items in Indonesia very quickly) and generosity to domestic users (for media items).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 05:39 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I have received films and books (one yesterday) in this envelope from the US.

Australia Post also has some very economical ways to send Super 8 films. If it is 16mm it starts to get expensive for air however.

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 05, 2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Australia Post also has some very economical ways to send Super 8 films.
Hi David,

I used to be in Melbourne and Sydney for couple years. I was one of the AustPost users too. With Regular Parcel service everything was cheap to send anywhere in Australia. I was happy with it.

But when I found USPS tariff, I was so amazed.

Let us compare if we are sending 4 * 400 in OB (total around 1kg = 2.2 lbs) with the parcel box measuring 20cm x 20cm x 10cm.

The Australian Post website shows AU$10.14 for the cheapest service (eqv. US$ 9.29). This is from Sydney 2001 to Brisbane 4001

The same item sent via USPS Media Mail will cost only US$ 3.16.

The most important things is the AustPost is using regional distance tariff (eg. the same item to Darwin 0810 will cost a lot more, i.e $12.35). While the USPS Media Mail is flat rate nationwide (mainland). So imagine you send it from Houlton, Maine in the border of Canada to Chula Vista, CA, in the border of Mexico will cost the same (this is around 5,465 km or 3,396 mi, almost twice Melbourne - Darwin !!)

There is also another additional service from USPS, i.e with another $1.5 on the top of that charge, you can get tracking numbers for our peace of mind.

So, I will say that the USPS is the best mail service in the world.

[Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC