8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Gate Size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Gate Size
Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to open up the gate aperature to show a lot more of the footage on the 800 and 900 series Eumig's, not worried about the sprocket holes showing but when transfering to DVD it would be nice to frame as much film as possble, or is this not practable, any comments would be grateful.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2010 12:51 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,
Its standard practice to do that for transfer purposes, but spoils the machine for subsequent normal use. Certainly easier with the 800 series because the pressure plates and aperture plates are removable. But you must use great care not to leave burrs that scratch the film. From my personal knowledge of your workshop I would say it should be a doddle for you!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

It should be possible.

What I would worry about is doing it in such a way that exactly enough material would be removed and in a straight, smooth vertical line. We magnify these little frames a huge amount and any imperfections would look really awful.

Also even the tiniest rough edge is going to gouge films passing through.

Somehow the narrower Eumig gate never bothered me until I saw the wider Elmo one. There are some cases where there is goofy stuff going on frameside like the film being printed a little shifted over or the very inner edges of the sprocket holes bleeding into frame where it's even an improvement.

In the best of all worlds the wider gate is nicer, though.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exact size and straightness etc of the new aperture is not an issue if you are going to open up to a size greater than the frame on the film. The idea is to make ALL of the frame available, and use the pick up camera to set the bounds. Whatever else is revealed outside of the frame is simply ignored.
Martin

--------------------

Vern Dias
Junior

- posted August 29, 2010 06:29 AM      Profile for Vern Dias   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is certainly possible. You would need a set of jewelers files to do this.

The earlier warnings about rough edges are absolutely correct! You will need to check for and eliminate any surface irregularities using the jewelers files and a very light pressure BEFORE you run any film. A slight bevel will help here as well. The Eumig gate is somewhat unusual, however, as the front element (the pressure plate) is used to mask the top and bottom of the image and the rear plate is used to mask the sides. There is a black piece spot welded to the pressure plate that can easily be removed to open up the height.

The sides will require a file. Be carefull not to remove too much material on the sides as you want make sure that some of the the surface supporting the film remains.

Vern

Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gents for advice, hope you are going on OK after your Op Martin, best regards Brian

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fine thanks , Brian. Just over 4 weeks now... threw the crutches away 10 days ago and can now walk without a stick (but keep it in my hand ready for balance because of the other knee). That one, hopefully in January)

Martin

--------------------

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2010 11:47 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumig 800-Series (not shure about 900-series) have a thin copper disk spotwelded to pressure shoe.
Remove it carefully with cutter knive and save it. The aperture in pressure shoe is bigger so that no further work is needed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC