8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Telecine experience needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telecine experience needed
Paul Bruty
Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Paul Bruty   Email Paul Bruty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am needing some feedback re Moviestuff telecine gear. I am looking at the Workprinter-XP frame by frame though computer software, but Roger suggested the CineMate dual-8 which is real time.

Roger and I plan on talking this week but I would appreciate peoples experience using both these models.

Also any experience with the Elmo Focus Scan SX-4 telecine machines would be appreciated.

Paul. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 18, 2011 01:00 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I'm at the same decision point as you right now. However, I've done hours of research on both systems and know people that have one or the other. It really depends on what you are going to be using it for and the volume. If Roger suggests the Cinemate Dual-8 then he must have a good reason based on your needs. Quality-wise if you are using the same camera...then the output should be very similiar. Neither is a turn-key system...it takes setup and tweaking to get the best results. Are you starting a transfer service or just doing reels for your family?

I'm kind of leaning towards the a real time system over frame-by-frame myself. I'm currently doing real time with a mirror and ground glass. I use restoration filters after capturing and have had decent results...but not as good as I would like and its very labor intensive.

http://vimeo.com/30455398

Hence...stepping up to an aerial system might do it for me and I have a few customers that have seen my current transfers and will pay me to do theirs when I'm ready. So I might recoup some of the cost of the equipment.

Remember with the Workprinter XP you have to buy extra software (Cinecap or Velocity) and hardware...just a lot more stuff than with the Cinemate.

It's a tough decision...I know....Good Luck!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Bruty
Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2011 04:38 AM      Profile for Paul Bruty   Email Paul Bruty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, I am quite disabled from a fiery workplace aircraft accident 4 years ago and cannot work much. My father began taking family R-8 home movies in 1955 when I was 6 years old and I have kept the home movies scene going with my family changing formats etc as they came along.

I have 30 years of our own stuff to do and am getting quite a few word of mouth enquiries from the relatives I have helped and a small line advert in our local newspaper.

I have most of the video tape formats sorted and am now working on the film side of things. I have tried two different telecine boxes I bought off Ebay BUT get better results with a 6x4 picture onto white card. If I am going to get serious, which I think I am as the requests for film is larger than I thought it would be. I started by offering VHS thinking that would be the major format, BUT no there are 8mm tapes, HI-8 VHSc etc. Film began getting mentioned by customers who were getting video tapes put to disc.

It is quite frustrating having to knuckle down to learn new stuff BUT it keeps the old grey matter operating!!!

Link to my accident. http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006523#000000

Paul. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 18, 2011 10:01 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many threads lately about how to make good transfer.

I have posted not too long ago about a good way of home made transfer especially if you already have a good hi-end camera.

quote:
I just found this on vimeo, someone is making innovation by using LED light to transfer film.

http://vimeo.com/20950590

He shows step by step to modify the projector giving the possibility for laymen to understand what he is doing.

The result is quite impressive, no flicker and color does not look to change. Here are two example he has done:

http://vimeo.com/20900718
http://vimeo.com/20871186

This would be the most economical way to do transfer (if you have already a DSLR camera of course).

cheers

Good luck,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC