8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Jitter in Elmo ST 800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jitter in Elmo ST 800
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 09:27 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem with my Elmo St 800. I'm getting a jitter in the gate, where it seems to move off as it jitters so I can just about see the sprocket hole. If I hold down the film guide at the beginning of the film path it seems to lessen the problem. Is there anyone who can tell me what might be wrong and how to adjust? Thanks for any help

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 11:51 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard while I cannot tell you how to fix the problem mechanically, I will say that I have this problem with my ST 1200 and I tried many many things to correct (including switching out the whole gate assembly) and it still did it....The thing that finally worked for me was film guard...I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but as soon as I put some film guard on the film prior to entering the gate it was fine...After a few years of having a damp webril touching the film before entering the gate I graduated to the Film-O-Clean and now I never have that problem....I would at least give it a try and see if it works for yours...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 28, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films also needs lube. Dry film will make jitter. Dino, I believe Filmguard also acts as a lubrication.

--------------------
Winbert

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help..I think that will be it. I have Solvon film cleaner and lubricant which I have been starting to use on my Regular 8mm. I'll clean a Super 8mm film and report back with the results.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 03:21 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard The Elmo's do need some form of lubricant for a nice smooth and jitter proof projection. From experience from my first Elmo in 75 this is vital. The Eumigs, Sanko's etc., dont need this and play on. Just part of the requirment of Elmo. But you get top quality sound and projection from them. Have fun.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 08:00 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
' a requirement of Elmo projectors'
seems fair to me

That did it.

Thanks for the info!

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 09:23 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my last post I said that did it! (famous last words) but alas the problem seems to be chronic even after running film that has been lubricated. I'm still getting the jitters. It seems a little better when playing at 24fps. Also when playing sound movies the sound coming out of the Elmo speaker is very loud and can't really adjust the sound from booming to just plain loud. I tried to find a manual for this projector, the only one close was the Elmo ST1200. Will that help me with my Elmo ST800? Any help on these matters gratefully appreciated.

[ July 11, 2012, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,have a look at the film guides in the gate.One side is
spring loaded,the other fixed.You'll have to take them out and
check to see if they have worn,by that I mean is there a shallow groove that is visible on the guides.If so,a rub down on some
wet n' dry or emery cloth ought to rub away the grooves.A quick
polish with a finer grade or some jewllers rouge will put a polish
on them.When re attached you should have nice rock steady pictures.The side with the spring is the easiest as it is pre-set,
the other side will need a little adjustment to get your frame
correctly aligned with the film.This is done when you have a
film in the machine,and every now and then stopping to make
an adjustment on either the top or lower screw to move the
guide against the film.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 11, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I have a PDF of the Elmo ST-800 User Manual. PM me if you would like me to email you a copy.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 11:37 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh thank you very much for taking the time. I tried to do what you told me and I think it's working much better now. The side of the gate with the spring however had no screws to lift it out that I could see but I was able to get into the side of the guide by releasing the spring and then with a que tip and a little isopropyl 90% cleaned it thoroughly. The other side with the screws I was able to lift out and clean, following your instructions. Thanks for instructing me on the fine tuning of that guide, It took three or four adjustments, but I think I found the sweet spot. The films are running better now. It's amazing how a little, and I mean a little ridge can affect the stability of the film going through the gate.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 12, 2012 10:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,so far, so good,but you've got to do the other side too.
This isn't as difficult as you might think.I have successfully done
this bit of maintenance to all my Elmo's and all have excellent
steady image.
The side of the rear gate plate that has the spring loaded guide
is held in place by the little rivet that holds the spring,this is
simply removed by putting a little flat head screwdriver or pen
knife blade between the bottom of the pin and the guide plate.
With a little bit of patience it will prise off.Then the plate can be
rubbed down and replaced by just pushing the rivet into place through the hole in the plate and re attaching the spring to the
retaining hooks on the plate itself.The reult on the screen will
be a great improvement on what you were putting up with.
As time goes on it will need another little polish,but that should
be a while into the future.Just a word of caution,it might pay
to put a piece of tape over the gate film path in case of a slip.
Don't be tempted to remove the complete backplate ,as this can be very tricky to re align.Well take care and let us know
how things have gone.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC