8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay Auctions ended early by seller? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ebay Auctions ended early by seller?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 10, 2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that on 3 auctions I have been looking at the seller gets one bid or so and then stops the auction early presumably to sell outside of Ebay. I know that Ebay and Paypal combined take almost 20% these days as their commission.
Apparently the sellers don't want to pay for the auction fees. I have noticed a rise in this. Anyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 10, 2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it also happened with one on this forum too. I was bidding on a couple of projectors, but he pulled them ... I do not like this way of handling things. If you put it on eBay, stand by what you get for it. Maybe eBay should stop this from being allowed, only with a real good reason ...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 10, 2013 04:36 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont like it either. I always have someone who emails me and asks to end my auctions early. I always tell them that I have many people watching it and who knows? Maybe they will get it less than the auctions ending price. That happened with "Snow White". I was offered $500 and I declined. And it sold for $300. That is the way auctions are supposed to work. Can you imagine if they did that at Christie's Auction house? As the bids go up they stop and say "Sorry. We got an offer that we can't refuse. Auction has ended."
Shenanigans I call!
[Frown]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be stricter rules against it. I say, ban sellers who do this! If they pull auctions without bids it's OK, but not auctions that have bids on them!

I had the best bid on a rare Pink Floyd record once, and he pulled it. It resulted in probably the most foul-mouthed email ever written, and a complaint to eBay. This seller was banned.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 04:59 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if offered enough why not sell i have questions about items i sell on ebay then they never bid and when auction ends i get email asking me if i still have it has i was meant to bid but forgot ,if there is anything on ebay i want ibid enough to make sure i win it and always place a bid straight away not have it in my watching for days

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 10, 2013 06:25 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Guest said:

quote:
i have questions about items i sell on ebay then they never bid
So, what's wrong with asking questions and then deciding not to bid? Isn't this the idea behind being able to ask questions? To help make up one's mind whether or not to bid on an item.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 06:34 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are lots of nosey parkers on ebay one guy asks several questions which there is no need to as its explained in the add then when items ends and not selling he says i meant to bid but forgot relist it and i will rebid costing money to place add again .

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 11, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nosey parkers? [Big Grin]

Mr Guest,
Do all of your ebay auctions have the film stock specified? Number of splices? Physical condition of the print in some detail and not just "nice print"? Whether or not full credits, top and end, are present? Any missing frames? These are the things I'd like to know about any print before buying. I'm pretty sure most collectors would want to know the same things.
If they're not specified, I would need to ask the seller.
Would that make me a "nosey parker"?
[Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 11, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's frustrating if an auction you are interested in ends early. I once asked a seller (who is a member here) what happened and he honestly replied that he had received an offer he "couldn't refuse". To be fair, if I was in the same position and the offer was that good, I'm sure I'd be tempted to do the same.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently placed a bid on a viewfinder for a Bolex H-8 camera but was outbid. The seller then contacted me asking if I didn't mind if he ended the auction. He was also contacting the other bidder and wouldn't end the auction until he heard back from both of us. He said his grandmother found the camera and was bringing it to him.

I told him I didn't mind and mentioned that he should try shooting some film with it. Well, that started a whole string of e-mails and now he's getting film and buying a Bolex 18-5 projector on ebay. I think I roped another sucker into this hobby. [Big Grin]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 03:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only ever pulled an auction twice. Once was because I viewed it again and I wanted to keep the print (and still have it). The second time was.....well that was a long and winding tale. But basically, I wanted the "lost" print to go to the right home (and actually let the purchaser have it for much less than the last Ebay bid).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 11, 2013 04:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We may get disapointed when what we have been looking so far was suddenly pulled out.

But that is also the right of seller to continue the sell or not.

There can be many reasons, and we don't know them.

So Ebay has made a specific rule about this that seller can terminate the listing early but not in the last (Iguess) 12 hours before the listing ends.

I feel that is fair enough.

Hi Jonathan while you are here, i have listed Oh Mr Porter you asked last time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160988853542?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l26 49

and I also have many British comedy films listed now (you guys know where I got them):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/s-8maniac/m.html?item=16098885354 2&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Shipping to Australia is very cheap btw.

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 12:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be frustrating because if it was a true auction I don't think you would be able to run up to the auctioneer, grab the microphone and say "I'm sorry folks but I received an offer i can't refuse." Likewise in a true auction you get to walk up and examine the items and your closest equivalent on ebay is to ask questions, but even after asking questions there is nothing that says if you want it you must bid first. I know I often am watching, bidding and purchasing multiple items and need to time things based on what money I can spend at any given time which often means not bidding until the very end of an auction...If you think you might want to pull an auction there is a way to sell things that way. Put your dream selling price and then the "or best offer" option, that way you are not disappointing someone by pulling the auction, and you can sell it for the highest offer you get...No one gets hurt, no one gets upset, no nosey parkers!. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 12:37 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The subtle art of Ebaying. If you bid too soon and someone else knows there is interest than you run the risk of them putting a higher bid than they normally would. Case in point. I bid on a film a few months back and I did it a day before it ended. It stayed that way till the very end and then a few seconds before auctions end I was outbid by $10. Now if I didn't place a bid earlier than its possible that the other bidder (Only 2 of us were bidding) would have done a smaller amount. And I would have won by $10 more at the last minute! Its almost like Poker!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 01:42 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The art is never to bid until the last 30 seconds....or less!
ps Winbert,I am interested!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 03:45 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really agree that it's an art to bid in the last few seconds; in many of the auctions I see it's the norm with all bidders doing it, which basically invalidates the auction concept because no one has time to place a second bid. I'd love to see eBay take the approach that was taken by another auction site, where any bid placed in the last minute or so extends the auction for another minute, with the auction continuing until the last bid has been placed. Then you get an online auction that genuinely simulates what happens in an auction house.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 03:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m with David in a way and was always amazed that computer owners can site there half the day clicking watch, watch, watch and never bidding. Surely they could do something meaningful with a life, or do some voluntary work to help the needy in our society? I do feel sorry for the ‘click watch’ brigades who do so with nothing else to do. A rather sad state of affairs especially as they are wasting every breath and only so many exhales in one lifetime.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 04:11 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying bidding at the last moment will get you the film cheap. All I know is that with the films i've won recently, I bid at the last moment but it also helped that I bid quite high!(THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS cost me an arm and a leg as well as the brain!)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 04:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so true of modern society Lee,likewise with the Facebook
brigade on their 'phones,but I suppose the same view could be taken of us,sitting in the dark,watching our favourite films.
Yes it is frustrating when a title is suddenly taken away from us,
but sooner or later they return,if you want something bad enough
you'll get it in the end.As Mrs Gump told Forrest"Life is like a box
of chocs, you never know what you're going to get", which only
goes to show she was as thick as her son, in the box is a map!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 04:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about bidding at the same time! Hugh and I posted our comments almost to the second!
ps Hugh,get in touch. I need your address asap.

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 04:38 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating variation of opinion there gents!
I presume most watchers that don't bid, do so as they have one of their own to sell, and are judging what they might attain, but as we all know, the same item can reach vastly different sums on different days.
Wouldn't it be great to see auction house style bidding on ebay as suggested, now that really would be fun! Meantime, money where my mouth is, placed an early bid (shock, horror! [Wink] )

--------------------
Ron

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 04:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan, address duly sent.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 04:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These auction houses are fine and serve a purpose for those who want to use that type of system and are aware of its limitations, but for me I still hold our film fairs as the ultimate way to obtain films and equipment, along with the UK top dealers such as Perry’s Movies and of course Classic Home Cinema who even have a couple of open day come sales each year. The London BFCC is legend as is the Blackpool Film Fair which is developing into quite an event over a weekend, so we are so fortunate to have two top events here in the glorious UK. You also have more modest events taking place as well including dare I say it my forthcoming film fair next month, the 9.5 Spring Fair at Pimlico in May and more besides. Perhaps best of all is going along to these events you get to meet like minded collectors, film makers, projectionists and from time to time artists who have a story to tell about a film they may have been in.
Although I have been into cine for over 40 years (I’m not bragging by the way) I have never stopped learning about it, and it seems when we go to film events and get chatting some new bit of knowledge is taken home with us. All the above you will not get by clicking ‘watch’ by the way.

David has huge experience with 16mm film and I do sympathise with his frustration with that other fleabay phenomenon ‘I forgot to bid’. Some do of course as we are only human after all and perhaps the technology exceeds our own abilities at times, but it will be a frustration which further endorses getting along to film events to chat to traders and actually view a film. I know David has a strict policy at fairs being more than happy to project a film someone might be interested in and likewise when I’m working behind a trade stand I also will project a film which is for sale or demonstrate a piece of equipment. Talking about viewing films, I noticed at Blackpool last year other traders were also following suit which is in my opinion anyway a good way forward and yet another reason to go to a film fair if you are mobile.

Bill Rodgers
Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 05:58 AM      Profile for Bill Rodgers   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Rodgers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What with all the charges both eBay and PayPal demand I'm honestly not surprised sellers often do this. I've ended auctions early myself for good offers made off of eBay and if you want an item you should always aim to ask questions before you bid.

I even recently read an article in the UK Collectors Gazette guiding sellers on how to list on eBay with their mobile and email details to avoid the selling fees! [Roll Eyes]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i will be attending lees film fair on the 27th april .it will be good to just buy and no messing around waiting for film to be sent out. then seller pays out loads of commision .like lees states if anyone is intersted the dealer is more than happy to project and give a demo .all these films fair that are on should be supported to a very high standard as if not they will cease to exsist in years to come and you will only have your self to blame no excuses be there or lost it

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC