8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Mountain Features (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mountain Features
Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2014 06:41 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Val Lewton productions came later.They were released complete for a time and then replaced with shortened versions (2x400, etc)
Mind you,my copy of "A Double Life", super 8,6x400,is incomplete.The reels fill each with about 15 minutes of film making it a total of 90 minutes,instead of the original 104 minute running time.

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2016 02:44 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add that the colour on my copies of the 2 extracts from The Girls Most Likely has held up very well.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one from Portland Films about the size of a business card. And one from Marketing Films in America.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Ellison
Junior

- posted October 28, 2016 07:39 AM      Profile for Steve Ellison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating to read the various comments about Mountain Films. When I bought Regent Films(Blackpool) from Les Siddall, he was importing Ken Films direct from a source in the USA, and the prints were considerably better than most Mountain reprints, which were produced by a lab in Soho. Peter Burt of Mountain became a firm friend of mine and we sort of wandered into the video age together! Anyone who needs any further information about the golden period of 8mm, just ask!! Steve Ellison(former owner,Phoenix Film Services,Wigan)

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2016 09:24 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul.

Do you have in your collection:

A Night in Casablanca and Top Hat?

Ali.

--------------------
We're going to need a bigger shelf!

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2016 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ali,
yes I have both. The Mountain prints for "Top Hat" were really very nice, and "A night in Casablanca" is a pretty good print as well. It may not be one of the best Marx Brothers comedies but it is much better than "Love Happy".

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2016 10:23 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't Mountain also responsible for the very good 4x400 of Invaders From Mars?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 04, 2016 02:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were that Stuart, we had the colour 400ft version this, we could only ever find the b/w 4 x 400ft but i believe there was also a rare colour feature version as well. [Wink]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the colour 4x400 version for years Tom. Picked it up in a junk shop in Frankfort Gate donkeys years ago, sad to say it had a thick green emulsion scratch down the middle on the first and last reels. I played that film to death, can still recite it word for word when I see it, would dearly love another print.

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 07:41 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul - lucky you!

I really liked the printed cardboard sleeve that often came with their 4x400' edited features ☺

Don't suppose you want to make a bit of space by selling either of those two films? 😉

Ali.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ali,

I like both these films so much that I couldn't let them go. But both of these titles tend to come up for sale on ebay fairly regularly.

Paul.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 08:38 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my later print of Invaders from Mars having green scratch marks as well. Maybe it was negative damage. Derann reprinted some of the Mountain negatives for awhile and I think Invaders could be bought from them if you asked.

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 03:43 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Paul - I don't blame you!

I will keep my eyes peeled.

Btw - you may well be, geographically, the closest member to me - I'm in South Woodford.

Ali.

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 05:35 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al, I'm literally down the road in Walthamstow (until January anyway)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 08, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
How Derann could ever feature 4th out of a list of 5 here, is quite beyond me?????

I'd like to think they were just a little better than one up from the Mountain releases based on what I've had from both of these companies!!

Just a bit!!

Whereabouts do Red Fox or Kempski prints feature in this list here David, 6th & 7th???

On price alone, I doubt any of these companies were the cheapest or fourth cheapest ever.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart - small world!

Maybe we should meet-up sometime for a beer and a chat on our wonderful pastime?

You too Paul.

Ali.

--------------------

Shaqui Le Vesconte
Junior

- posted June 08, 2018 04:34 AM      Profile for Shaqui Le Vesconte   Email Shaqui Le Vesconte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone know the release dates of the four Space Patrol 8mm films? They would have been in a box with art saying Mystery on the Moon (though the actual episode title would have been on the side!).

The four titles were:

The Swamps of Jupiter
Mystery on the Moon
Robot Revolution
Miracle Tree of Saturn

The series was made circa 1962-63, and it would seem they were probably released later in the decade but hoping for some more concrete confirmation if possible? [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
S

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2018 09:03 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently unearthed th ebox from my first Mountain Films purchase (a 50ft extract from Easy Street). Their address on that is Mountain Films Limited, 39 Hillside, LONDON, N.W.10 - the price was pre-decimal currency 19/6.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently unearthed the box from my first Mountain Films purchase (a 50ft extract from Chaplin's Easy Street) and the address on that is 39, Hillside, London, NW 10. It must be an old box as the price was in pre-decimal currency - 19/6d!! I wonder how long they were based there.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was expensive; I think the first 50ft film I bought, made by Arrow films, cost me 3 shillings in 1967; I later sold it and got 1/6d.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 08, 2018 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize that "The Girl Most Likely" was a Mountain Release! That one is a 4X400ft and it was printed on low fade stock and the color and sharpness are actually really, though a bit grainy.

It sounds like Mountain films was like the "Niles" films of the U.S. Hit or miss on quality but of course, were happy that they did what they did!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2018 12:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew Woodcock old post I did. The list was not for the quality of prints, but for the price they were sold at. Walton and Powell always seemed to be about £10 dearer for features than Derann.

For the actual quality of prints, that's a really hard one. I've had some really good prints from Mountain mainly black and white releases. I had one from Derann that was bleached out. They all sadly had some hits and misses with prints.

Still miss those releases from those great companies.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2018 04:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was hit and miss Osi; I've had some first class films from Mountain, then others that were grey instead of good B&W, and a couple where the sound was out of sync. The risky ones were those sold under the Heritage Films label.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2018 06:56 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still treasure my mountain 6x400 King Kong which I bought new from the proceeds of the sale of several films.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC