8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawk Films Case Question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blackhawk Films Case Question
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 08:18 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a lot of fanfare when they "found" the Pie Fight from BATTLE OF THE CENTURY. I use quotes since they simply lifted it from the Youngson compilations, so those scenes were never really lost. A similar big deal, rightly so, was made when they found the sound discs from UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE.

I would have preferred a silver L&H box rather than a generic one -- I mean I even have a WOMAN IN GREY chapter in the silver box. I doubt they upgraded pre-print for WOMAN IN GREY.

Some of my best L&H prints are in Eastin-Phelan pink boxes -- and I know they are original boxes since I got them right from Blackhawk in the '70s.

I forgot to mention date codes on the film itself -- a much more reliable indicator of when the film was printed rather than the color of the box.

And we haven't talked about the one-piece flimsy box vs. the sturdy 2-piece with the black bottom. Some of my best prints came in the flimsy box.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 05:51 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prefer the 2-piece box, makes for attractive storage and more durable than the flap-top ones, nothing against them, as it's the print we want to be in nice condition - This is the on-going debate I have with others, particularly the 16mm collectors, saying why I bother with the box - My counter is always, you are getting 2 collectible items; The original darn-near box and the film - A Castle film isn't, without the box and for my money, neither is a Blackhawk - Shorty

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 02:35 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that you gotta have the Castle box -- just doesn't seem the same without it.

I don't care as much with Blackhawks since they were mostly generics, albeit some were specific for "Hal Roach", "Mack Sennett", "Chaplin", and of course "L&H." I never did get a L&H in the film-specific box which I think was only for Standard 8mm.

My flap-top Blackhawks now have the film itself in cans with the boxes stored safely away.

I like Universal 8 boxes if the film inside is a U-8. There are many Castle films in U-8 boxes, often with a photo from the wrong film -- several Abbott and Costellos.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC