8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Just Replaced Micro Switch in DCT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just Replaced Micro Switch in DCT
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last the parts have come, I bought two micro switches from China only cost 99p how do they do it.I was very apprehensive about the repair, I am no stranger to the soldering iron, but due to an illness I suffer with uncontrollable tremors, any-ways I managed to de-solder the old switch, and with some small clamps and forceps, fitted the new switch, and with the new brushes which I made from over-size one's, the old DCT runs as smooth as when it was first out of the box. I'm feeling good about doing this, it's a bit of an achievement.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do the Chinese do it? By using the cheapest materials possible and by paying their workers next to nothing.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 05, 2015 10:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It IS a big accomplishment Steve....nice work. You should be proud [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 04:08 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Janice,you reply is very much appreciated.
If I purchase the switches here in the UK, the chances are they are the same Chinese one's, at a big price mark up, so why not buy at source?,the factory fitted ones in the DCT are known to be the main fault with motor failing, so they are not that well made....

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Steve, replacing those switches is a bit of a fiddly job for those of us working on projectors all the time; I can understand it gives a feeling of satisfaction.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2015 11:03 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the micro switches on my Sankyo 600 might be the source of its intermittent power loss problem. If that's the case then I'm not sure I want to tackle replacing them right now. [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Janice I had intermittent forward power loss, after testing and cleaning all contacts etc, I found it to be one of the micro switches, I believe the Sankyo is much the same as the Bell & Howell DCT.,it's a pig of a job as the track selector rods cover one of the screw bolts which hold the micro in place, but I am always willing to give my advice after completing this replacement...I believe in sharing knowledge gained...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 07, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I will definitely be asking for your assistance in the future. Sounds like you have hit on the resolution to the problem with one of my Sankyos. Those micro switches are buried pretty deeply and not easy to get to. However I think it's well worth the effort to repair what otherwise is a great running projector.

[ May 07, 2015, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 07, 2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done indeed Steve! [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC