8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Changing cxl/cxr bulb to LED using kit (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Changing cxl/cxr bulb to LED using kit
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personnally would like a bulb that fits the existing bulb holder without need of extra external wires.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 08:50 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dominique.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also with Dominique, it has to be a straight swap-out for me, no wires running through air vents, no extra power supply/drivers. I'm sure there is some-one some-where who has the ability and technical know-how, it must be there, I'm just waiting...

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With out the recipient making the electrical changes himself, and not adding anything except the LED bulb, I do not see ow it can be done. Not all these bulbs are 15V 150W, some are different voltages and Watts. I would like to meet the person who can find a way to do this, as there are to many variables.
Myron

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what the output of the LED is, but not how much gets through the gate and lens. Is there a condenser lens front of the 3 LEDS shown?
I don't know about 15v LED packages but there are lots of 12v ones in the rights size mounts for projectors, but as I said, how do you ensure all the light goes through the projector gate?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could potentially get 2100 lumens out of the tiny gate of my Bauer T610 and therefore even more from my two bladed Beaulieu, then I would certainly be interested in principle Myron.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 09:57 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andre and Brian
No matter what I do, even 12v system, you will still need a Driver for the LED, and for the 2100 lumens you will at least need a 12DC 5Amp power supply. So as far as I can see that would have to be mounted outside the projector, If I thought I could do it with out going outside the projector then I would do it.
 -
notice the driver is velcroed to the back of the projector, the wires fro the driver are run under the projector to the bulb cage. All I can say it wrks fine and take less then 15min. to install.

Paul Thrussell
Junior

- posted July 05, 2015 11:30 PM      Profile for Paul Thrussell   Email Paul Thrussell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks amazing! I hate those stupid, expensive 'Diver Dan' bulbs, and to my knowledge the ones for sale these days are all NOS, aren't they? Which means that they'll continue to go up in price until they're gone forever.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 01:38 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very interesting. LED makes sense. I thought there was another thread where someone had tried an LED flash lite, not sure if it was this forum.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was on here Alan about two month ago if memory serves me correctly.

All of my machines have spare space at the bottom or inside the projector for a nimble PSU. I would be more concerned with the best way to automate the lamp circuit,but this isn't too difficult using an electrical switching device off the existing lamp circuit.

Diode and relay in lamp circuit for example.

--------------------

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew there is nothing t do with this set up, I never even go to the light on part of the switch, I only use run, as the LED driver is separate and this generates the light, it is really very simple set up to install and use.
Myron

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myron on a sound projector there are three stages 1 motor (load film) 2 light and motor, 3 light, motor and sound...

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, regarding the sound projector, I guess you have no choice but to use the last movement on the switch, run, light and sound. but even in the light mode, there is no contact with the old electrical contact for the bulb, using the LED. Like I said previously, all you do is insert the LED in place of the old bulb, no need to do any electrical disconnect to the old wiring.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok Myron but I thought you mentioned the LED lamps needed a separate PSU? Have I misunderstood?

--------------------

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve look at the photo above, you see there is an PS out plug lying on the table under the LED driver, not plugged in yet.
Myron

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, thanks Myron for clarifying.

--------------------

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 11:54 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What wattage leds are you using? Where do you get them?

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 04:04 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A LED driver cost is a minimal amount, around £5 -£7 GB, cheaper still if you buy from China. So all in all the set up cost's buttons, as cheap technology becomes more readily available to the masses...

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 06:23 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve:
I use http://www.LEDsupply.com the person's name is Dave. You can buy all LED supplys from them at a reasonable cost. Dave is very helpful. will answer all your questions.
Myron

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Myron, I believe if something like this single LED Single Led could be used with high out-put, it would focus on the gate like a A1 232 15v 150w halogen lamp, you could indeed be on to a winner. I think you would need some sort of heat sink for this type of LED...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 10:25 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started a topic on this very subject back in April which involved the possible use of Cree lamps to replace old projector lamps. They are available in many different voltages, but I'm not sure whether they can be run directly on the the voltage produced by the projector, or whether a 'driver' is needed. Perhaps Myron or some other technically minded member could look into this. It is a very exciting topic because of the low cost, very long lamp life and the fact that it is 'cold' light.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my testing I have learned that a driver is needed as the voltage from the lamp socket is AC and the LED bulbs require DC current. The driver will convert the voltage to the correct specs required to run the LED.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 11:56 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the drivers are small enough maybe it could be mounted inside the projector casing and fed from the projector instead of from an outside source?

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry:
the drivers are about 2 1/2" Long by 2" wide by 1' deep, you cannot run with the voltage coming from the projector, as it is AC and the LED's require DC and anywhere from 1amp to 5amp DC output. When the projectors are designed, they do not leave any room for anything else to be inserted into the unit, that is why we have to do it from outside. If you read all the previous posts all your concerns are answered.
Myron

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myron
That maybe the case for 8mm projectors, but with many 35, 16 and 9.5mm machines there would be plenty of room in the lamphouse, once the old incandescent bulb is removed, to easily fit a driver of that size. Amperage would be no problem as most of the old incandescent bulbs draw at least 5 amps. Anyone tried it with anything other that 8mm?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC