8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How Many New Derann Features did you buy ? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How Many New Derann Features did you buy ?
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot that one Doug, I would have loved to have Master and Commander, what a film.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also came very close to getting this feature, unfortunately i did have to pull out purely because of a lack of funds at that time. now i do wish i had put it onto a credit card. It would have been one of the few brand new Derann features i would have had. Now im guilty here of not reading the original topic properly, brand new features of Deranns for me were only the lion king beauty and the beast, all the rest were bought as second hand from Derann, having said that the enjoyment of watching is just the same but by spending the equivalent of a small fortune less.I was looking at an old price list from the early 80s, you most certainly had to have been privileged or very wealthy to have bought many brand new. [Wink]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - Probably the best and cheapest way of obtaining NEW Derann titles, at a "bargain price" was when attending the various Film Conventions and Derann's Open Days. There were always "bargains" to be had then.

I have to say that I have attained my "NEW" Derann features since 2007.

I agree with you that back in the 1980'S it was a "mortgage" job for most of us.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or a cocaine snorting MP receiving £200 a day expenses of tax payer's hard earned whilst sporting a pink bra! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 04:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i guarantee if we had attending our collection would be much larger, second biggest regret was when i attended our first one i turned down the chance to buy independence day for just £150. i have no idea what i was thinking, on the upside we did find a full length feature of forbidden planet for £50.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Jason and the Argonauts was I suppose used, but new bought just after the Columbia releases were pull. I was told it was brand new and it looked like it had never been projected. Usually tell how they are wound on the reel and the leaders were still taped down.

There are still a number of both features and shorts I want. And not only Derann titles.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 05:14 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the topic question.....none.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 05:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rescuers Down Under...Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King...all brand new [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 08:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you here Doug.

Good to see you Keith writing more and more in this forum after your claim to have status as an observer one hour earlier.

Good to see other members who have given the right responses to the subject.

I just want to make my self clearer: If the list included those Derann releases purchased from second hand list, I agree, that is called "the expansion of the topic". But if the responses give other than Derann releases that is just like someone asking "How Many Blackhawk releases did you buy ?" and the answer is "I have 5 Tom & Jerrys" which is obviously not Blackhawk releases.

This can be misleading to new readers/collectors. Please remember, super 8mm collectors are not only us who have bunch of knowledge but those new comers who will think that "The Untouchable" is also Derann release just because of reading this thread.

Sorry for bold and italic, but I just want to make it clearer what is the disadvantage of this OOT if we continue doing this.

Now back to the topic please.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 09:27 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points Winbert, and hopefully everyone will be nice now [Smile] .

Features I purchased brand new/sealed from Derann are :

Alien
Aliens
Star Wars (this one I purchased reel-by-reel)
The Abyss
Independence Day (this one was new, but discounted price due to sound stripe issues).

James

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 02:41 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wish I had bought Star Wars, mainly when the original version was not proposed be to released again only the special edition. It was on offer at an open day, but then so was Goldfinger which I did buy because I heard that the negative would only be good for a limited number of prints. I think I made the right choice as I had both extracts of Star Wars and there was never a cut down of Goldfinger.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 03:44 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good to see you Keith writing more and more in this forum after your claim to have status as an observer one hour earlier.
Absolutely correct and so precise, Winbert - AS ALWAYS....

It is quite comforting to know that my "infrequent contributions" and the reasons thereof are justified.

An observer I will be - far less strain on my blood pressure.

I know my place.....

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 04:11 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Bought new.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only bought one full feature from Derann, "STAR WARS", way back in 1989, I think, (that was when I first collected super 8, and not the "return engagement" on 2002).

I was soon to buy "Close Encounters", but it was discontinued a day before I was to send off de money, (sniff)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 06:20 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought a few features new from Derann before I received the Masonic cine invitation that certain dealers would buy new features on my behalf and sell to me at a discounted price.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 10:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Masonic cine invitation that certain dealers would buy new features on my behalf and sell to me at a discounted price.
Mike, I don;t get it. So some dealers bought on your behalf and re-sell to you at discounted price...how did it work?

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert

20% discount on Derann list price so a feature costing £250 was £200

Mike

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meaning that the dealer bought wholesale from Derann but didn't put on much of a mark-up?

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dealer got a price from Derann that was considerably more than the discount
they passed on to me.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC