8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS 1200 Elmo - Lamp Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS 1200 Elmo - Lamp Issue
Richard Pope
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2015 01:34 PM      Profile for Richard Pope   Email Richard Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would go straight to the experts on this issue...

As many of you know I have been screening a number of films and posting shots on the forum. Believe it or not, I did get through my last feature and the lamp went out on my projector. I thought no problem... simple bulb change... not so much.

I have tried several bulbs... but alas no light...

Any suggestions? Could it be a fuse? something else?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Richard

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard

I would be 99% sure your problem will be with the internal contacts "where the lamp pins make contact" that burn out over time on the lamp holder.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 07, 2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Graham. First thing to check is that lamp socket. GS1200'S are notorious for lamp socket failure as the flat contacts only actually have a line contact with the round pins of the bulb. Change the socket to one that has cylindrical shaped sockets that grab the pins of the bulb all around the exterior surface area.
I have had several of the Elmo sockets burn out, and have had no problems when they were replaced with the round sockets. Even these, though, need periodic replacement every few years because the intense heat of the bulb weekens the spring force of the contacts.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Richard Pope
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2015 08:18 PM      Profile for Richard Pope   Email Richard Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the quick reply. What you say makes perfect sense.

A few more questions. How hard is it to change the lamp socket? Is it something that I could do, assuming I can get a new socket somewhere?

Again, thanks to you both.

Cheers,
Richard

Thijs de Kort
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 03:00 AM      Profile for Thijs de Kort   Email Thijs de Kort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Richard,
You can find the lampsocket here: http://shop.van-eck.net/lamps/lamp-sockets/p-1a/LV-0002.html
If you got either a soldering iron or a thermoplastic connector you can fix it yourself
Thijs

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2015 08:17 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can make a join with a block connector but if you are a stickler you might want to replace the cable back to the soldering point.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC